Page 194 of 390 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204244294 ... LastLast
Results 1,931 to 1,940 of 3897

Thread: NDSU vs Ducks

Default Re: NDSU @ Oregon 9.5.2020

Quote Originally Posted by QB11SD View Post
    You’d also be able to recruit a higher caliber athlete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol...ISWYDT

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NDSU vs Ducks

I’ll entertain that, but why? It’s obviously a really subjective thing to measure/compare but there are semi objective aspects we can compare.
    Do both teams have elite S&C programs? Yes.
    Do both teams (2020) have a championship pedigree with a bunch of players and leaders who have an expectation of winning and have won a bunch of big games? Yes.
    Will both teams be excited to go out and play after spending a month exclusively hitting the same guys? Yes.

I guess I’m trying to figure out where the intangible, mental advantage would come from for NDSU. Also if they have that advantage how it would be weighed against the physical disadvantage that I would argue on the flip side.

NDSU is a development program. Many (most?) of the players think they should have received more recruiting attention coming outta high school. They play pissed off and with a chip on their shoulder. I really think that makes them play with an edge when playing up. UO players were generally all sought after commodities and are treated really well in Eugene.

FWIW - The culture at UO has been drastically changing under Mario. He's the real deal. Very impressive dude. I've met him 3 times at coaching clinics in Eugene and Portland. The guy can really command a room and knows how to motivate. He had my fat ass 48 year old self about run through a wall after one of his talks.

The whole coaching staff at Oregon is awesome. I particularly like Alex Mirabal. The dude is probably about 5'-7" and 140 lbs soaking wet. Awesome to see him working with those huge dudes. https://goducks.com/sports/football/...x-mirabal/3269 (FYI - This is a bit out of date. I think he has 2 seasons under his belt at Oregon.)
    Insert something clever here...

The fact that the Duck fans are on here barking (or is it quacking?) in early Feb tells you everything you need to know*

No doubt this is the toughest P5 test yet for the Bison, but house money baby …

* Although it’s possible Lakes has something to do with it. Notice he is not participating …

Quote Originally Posted by DuckDuckGriz View Post
    Yes that's fair. And there are great examples of FCS schools making the jump and becoming immediately successful, going back to the 1990s - most of them without the traits of an NDSU even.

The comments that NDSU could compete and win an FBS conference right now, at this very moment, are usually the ones met with speculation assuming the current roster makeup.
    You don't think that NDSU would be in the running to win the MAC or Sun Belt?
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

You’d also be able to recruit a higher caliber athlete

That's actually a bit of a debate on here. Do we get the kids we do because of winning tradition and they want to play for championships? We think so. Which could mean it would be harder to recruit when the end game is a crappy bowl game on Detroit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I’ll entertain that, but why? It’s obviously a really subjective thing to measure/compare but there are semi objective aspects we can compare.
    Do both teams have elite S&C programs? Yes.
    Do both teams (2020) have a championship pedigree with a bunch of players and leaders who have an expectation of winning and have won a bunch of big games? Yes.
    Will both teams be excited to go out and play after spending a month exclusively hitting the same guys? Yes.

I guess I’m trying to figure out where the intangible, mental advantage would come from for NDSU. Also if they have that advantage how it would be weighed against the physical disadvantage that I would argue on the flip side.

It is quite subjective I will grant you that. It is no less real. I can’t explain why NDSU has the winning record that it has in any other way. JMU has an athletic budget that is something like twice what NDSU has. Football alone is like 5x I believe. They enjoy a recruiting area that is replete with outstanding athletes within easy distance of their school and they are also able to attract drop downs from FBS programs in the vicinity. Yet they have lost two of three to NDSU and the one they did win was against an NDSU defense that was ravaged with injury to KEY players. Plus JMU did have an all world team that year for FCS. Perhaps similar to what you all feel you have in your best suite of athletes ever.

On the day of the game all those 3, 4, 5 star athletes on the Oregon sideline are going to be feeling they are entitled to win that game. They are supremely confident. After all everybody has been telling them are the best that ever was. Their coaches will warn them against this. Their parents will warn them. Their pastor/priest will warn them. But they are 18-22 year olds. They will have to learn the hard way.

On the other side of the field those zero star misfits who are an inch too short, 0.3 seconds too slow and 15 lbs underweight are just going to be feeling under appreciated by everyone but their family at NDSU. They are going to have a chip and the training, conditioning and coaching to leverage that chip.

Once the ball is kicked the Ducks are going to find that they are not in a game with Montana. They are in a game with Wisconsin. Or something that looks like it. Those too short, too light slowpokes from flyover country are just fast, long and quick enough. Doubt starts to creep in. It’s poisonous. If your team lacks the depth of culture that true champions possess then by the end of the half we will see player scolding player, coach denigrating player etc. None of this will be evident on the NDSU sideline no matter the game condition.

For Oregon to win this game for certain they are going to have to hang a 21 pt advantage on NDSU within the first fifteen. If they can’t do that then this thing is a toss up. You heard it here.

Regardless this game is going to be so much closer than the typical Oregon players feel subconsciously that the damage to that psyche will be inflicted either way. With that injury there is a near zero chance that Oregon will win the following game should they prevail in this one.

Who knows how good the defending Big-12 Champions could have been had they not lost to a lowly FCS foe. Or the 13th ranked Iowa Hawkeyes. They were not the same team psychologically by the time that FG went through those uprights at Kinnick. Never right in the head again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.

Default NDSU vs Ducks

Quote Originally Posted by DuckDuckGriz View Post
    Are we going to be able to make it 6-7 months?

Should we have a dick measuring contest for basketball?

I'm worried we're going to run out of arguments to have.
    I don’t see this thread going dormant, given all the lead-in questions from Duck fans that aren’t seeking real answers but, in reality, just looking for an in to talk about how good the Ducks are at EVERY position/coaching/etc.

I mean, at this point, Ducks should just buy the game out, pay whatever team the Seahawks first regular season NFL opponent is whatever they want, and then go and dominate the Seahawks (AT HOME) steal their lunches, lunch money and women, and declare IMMEDIATELY for the NFL as an entire team/staff/trainers/cheerleaders and the dog that you may hire to run out and fetch-up your kick-off tee (And you know I know dogs based on twincitybison’s posts last evening).

It’s gotten a bit out of hand ...

Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

NDSUSR is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    The fact that the Duck fans are on here barking (or is it quacking?) in early Feb tells you everything you need to know*

No doubt this is the toughest P5 test yet for the Bison, but house money baby …

* Although it’s possible Lakes has something to do with it. Notice he is not participating …

This game is Oregons Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    That's actually a bit of a debate on here. Do we get the kids we do because of winning tradition and they want to play for championships? We think so. Which could mean it would be harder to recruit when the end game is a crappy bowl game on Detroit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I’d assume there are some prospects the NDSU staff pursue and would really like that choose MAC or Go5 schools over the Bison. If you were at that higher level wouldn’t you be able to win those battles and upgrade the talent pool?

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    NDSU is a development program. Many (most?) of the players think they should have received more recruiting attention coming outta high school. They play pissed off and with a chip on their shoulder. I really think that makes them play with an edge when playing up. UO players were generally all sought after commodities and are treated really well in Eugene.

FWIW - The culture at UO has been drastically changing under Mario. He's the real deal. Very impressive dude. I've met him 3 times at coaching clinics in Eugene and Portland. The guy can really command a room and knows how to motivate. He had my fat ass 48 year old self about run through a wall after one of his talks.

The whole coaching staff at Oregon is awesome. I particularly like Alex Mirabal. The dude is probably about 5'-7" and 140 lbs soaking wet. Awesome to see him working with those huge dudes. https://goducks.com/sports/football/...x-mirabal/3269 (FYI - This is a bit out of date. I think he has 2 seasons under his belt at Oregon.)
    Yeah, Mirabal is awesome, I’ve been to the last 2 clinics in Eugene myself.