Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bahamas trip

Default Re: Bahamas trip

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    I guess my point isn't to let him play or get minutes, just be with the team. The team bonding over a week is HUGE when you're out of town. Just to be with the guys, teaching them things (especially the young guys) and even himself learning some things just from watching/being with the team. And if I remember right, he didn't redshirt right away, but I could be wrong.
    If he graduated, could he have gone as a graduate assistant and then played his last year of eligibility when the school year started? I may be on to something here.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    I guess my point isn't to let him play or get minutes, just be with the team. The team bonding over a week is HUGE when you're out of town. Just to be with the guys, teaching them things (especially the young guys) and even himself learning some things just from watching/being with the team. And if I remember right, he didn't redshirt right away, but I could be wrong.
    The summer before Kading's freshman year the jury was out whether he could/would play that year.

Kading bonding with the team is not the issue and shouldn't be a big concern.

Bison_Pride is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think Kading is nursing an injury too.

This is pretty funny from Gobison.
    http://gobison.com/news/2015/8/11/MBB_0811151930.aspx
    http://gobison.com/galleries/?gallery=246

Bison in the Bahamas Blog

The North Dakota State University men's basketball team is getting an early start on the 2015-16 season by taking a foreign tour to the Bahamas from Aug. 10-15. The Bison will play exhibition games on three consecutive days in Nassau from Aug. 12-14, for which GoBison.com will offer postgame recaps and stats.

Junior Dexter Werner and redshirt freshman Spencer Eliason have teamed up to author the following blog on their experiences during the trip.

Day 1: How about that ride in?

It's 4 a.m. on a Monday. The Fargo Hector Airport staff is rolling into work, and they are met by the NDSU men's basketball team. This is a pretty regular sight, but the difference is it's the first week of August. Where are we going? Are we headed to scenic Macomb, Illinois? An exciting trip to Brookings, South Dakota? No. The Bison are on their way to Nassau, Bahamas, and the excitement is in the air.

New shoes, new backpacks, and a lot of fresh haircuts. The squad looks ready to go. Even our usual morning zombie Paul Miller can't help but have a smile on his face. The team made it on our first flight, and we were on our way.

Fast forward 11 hours, and we have wheels down in Nassau, Bahamas. Everyone has already been awake for 12 hours, but within 20 minutes of checking into our hotel rooms, everyone was down at the pool with ice-cold lemonade in their hands. Coach Richman rolls by and acknowledges us with a nod, which we all understand to mean, "Enjoy the next couple days … because there's a lot more hard work to come this season."

We willingly accepted and continued on with the day. The next few hours were spent by the pool and in the ocean. We may not be at a five-star resort, but it's not windy or snowing and we couldn't be happier.

Day 2: No Games, No Problem

Growing up in Bismarck, N.D., and Chadron, Neb., neither Spencer nor I are very used to waking up and seeing a palm tree outside our windows. It is another day in the Bahamas with no games until tomorrow. After a nice breakfast buffet, team snorkeling was on the agenda for the day.

If there was one thing that we could take away from the day, it would have to be that Carlin Dupree hates water. Showers: fine, shallows pools: fine, deep saltwater oceans: no deal. If it wasn't for the buoyancy of the Atlantic Ocean, there is a good chance that Spencer Eliason would have never returned from the depths. Snorkeling was our main activity for the day, and while swimming amongst the coral reef and a World War II-era shipwreck, we learned a few crucial things:
    - Zach Rammelt learned that SPF 8 is not effective against the Bahamian sun.
    - It is frowned upon when you stand on a WW2 ship covered in coral.
    - Khy Kabellis has an inflated misconception of his diving abilities.
    - Malik Clements would rather live back home at 4501 Belmar Circle than in the Bahamas.
    - Not only can Kory Brown guard anyone in our league, he can also captain any vessel in the Atlantic.

The last couple days were great for us because we were able to spend time together as a team without having to focus on basketball. We have always been a close-knit program, and friendships off the court have definitely translated into some wins on the court.

Exhibition game schedule:

Aug. 12 - Bahamas All-Stars, 8 pm CT
    Aug. 13 - CTG Knights, 8 pm CT
    Aug. 14 - Athletic Club Bahamas, 6 pm CT

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This is pure enjoyment.

Are these games live streamed? Should be on State wide tv

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Are these games live streamed? Should be on State wide tv

I asked on their facebook page and they said they aren't streaming any of the games.

No Scottie Miller radio play by play? How about live stats?

When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Doubtful any of it gets covered in any way other than a small press release. These type of tournament trips don't even get any attention at bigger schools.

Boo!

West Virginia playing before us.

Creighton is in Europe and won both games by at least 70 if I read it right on twitter.