Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coach Kleiman interview on CBS

Default Re: Coach Kleiman interview on CBS

Damn, I'd run through a wall for coach K. Emotional but not over the top, caring but will rip into you if need be. If I had a speck of athletic talent I know where I'd be playing on Saturday's!

Thanks for posting. Just a reminder of how excited I am for Bison football. This season and beyond. We are fortunate to have such a culture. Many thanks to all of those who have helped build that culture.

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    You know that's something that's always intrigued me too. Even before last season started I heard Klieman make comments along the lines of "the Bison may never win a championship again". Which seems odd to hear a new head coach say when typically you expect to hear the usually "playing every season for a championship" type of talk. Then I remember Taylor saying one of the hardest parts of the job at NDSU was "managing expectations". I think publicly answering questions this way by leading off with future success is not guaranteed and every future win should be appreciated is Klieman's way of managing expectations.

At some level as a fan you want to hear him say that ain't nothing over Animal House style and the Bison don't expect to stop dominating the FCS until they say it's over. I can however appreciate him presenting an honest and humble attitude for the public to manage expectations, while at the same time coaching a hungry mindset in practice to drive future success.

Good PR and good coaching in my opinion.
    Yeah, I get what you are saying, but I do not think he is purposely managing expectations, in these instances. I think we have to remember where he came from.............and they do not win football championships there.

But the simple fact is, the vast majority of teams DO NOT win championships very often at all, IF EVER. He probably also understands, much better than we do, how very hard everybody else is working to knock the Bison off their perch and be the program that NDSU is. He probably also understands how very, very good some of those coaches and their staffs are that are trying to become the next NDSU.

So, I don't think he is managing his fan base at all (right now), I think he really believes it................. and is working his ass off to continue measuring up to the "Bison Standard". Just the unbelievable job he did last year (truly one of the best I've ever witnessed), tells me this guy is a hard-ass worker and NEVER rests on his laurels or past successes.

Perhaps he knows this you cant 'manage' this fan base. Or at least not BV!
    Just containing it is good enough.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    Perhaps he knows this you cant 'manage' this fan base. Or at least not BV!
    Just containing it is good enough.
    A rare serious question from me...how do you guys think the pressure our fan base puts on the football program to win compares to the P5 teams' fan bases?
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    A rare serious question from me...how do you guys think the pressure our fan base puts on the football program to win compares to the P5 teams' fan bases?
    Ours is higher than about only 10 P5 schools playing for a chance to win it. Gophers have no pressure....
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    Yeah, I get what you are saying, but I do not think he is purposely managing expectations, in these instances. I think we have to remember where he came from.............and they do not win football championships there.

But the simple fact is, the vast majority of teams DO NOT win championships very often at all, IF EVER. He probably also understands, much better than we do, how very hard everybody else is working to knock the Bison off their perch and be the program that NDSU is. He probably also understands how very, very good some of those coaches and their staffs are that are trying to become the next NDSU.

So, I don't think he is managing his fan base at all (right now), I think he really believes it................. and is working his ass off to continue measuring up to the "Bison Standard". Just the unbelievable job he did last year (truly one of the best I've ever witnessed), tells me this guy is a hard-ass worker and NEVER rests on his laurels or past successes.
    If it's merely being frank and humble or actively intended to temper the fan base's expectations, it works as a reality check for me. Reminds me to enjoy even the seemingly inconsequential regular season wins and not look past them for Frisco.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Ours is higher than about only 10 P5 schools playing for a chance to win it. Gophers have no pressure....
    Was it that way for the years without a home playoff game?

I cringed a little bit at first when I heard that Coach Klieman was a "players" coach. When I hear that term, I think of coaches doing silly things for the players like piercing their ear (Ambrose) or wearing their cap backwards (Lennon). I don't see Coach Klieman ever doing that now.

Am glad that both Klieman and Bohl take/took the fatherly figure road over managing these young men's lives, instead of the try-to-be-cool big brother approach.

Nice video clip. Very good interview.