Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Badlands Bowl

Default Re: Badlands Bowl

Football is a high priority in the medium-sized cities...and there are several in Montana. I taught in Great Falls for a year. The caliber of play was very high.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    So your saying they both have the same play book? That's lame.

So it comes down to talent then. Obviously if you look at the years we've won, it's chock full of NDSU players who are talented enough. I wonder if they should look at player selection criteria ? I mean just because someone is first team all state doesn't mean they are the best players. Best stats maybe.

Thats the way ALL all star games are played. Same play book and system.

Dont care about criteria etc. Either get serious about the game or if the top talent wont play in it then quit. Its really simple.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Who the hell came up with this game?

I've always thought it was ridiculous: "Let's have an all-star game seven months after these kids have played any meaningful football and after they've graduated and are getting ready to move on to college or the real world!" If the game was played in December or January, maybe it would be better.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post
    Who the hell came up with this game?

I've always thought it was ridiculous: "Let's have an all-star game seven months after these kids have played any meaningful football and after they've graduated and are getting ready to move on to college or the real world!" If the game was played in December or January, maybe it would be better.
    Two brothers from Miles City came up with it after one moved to ND and was telling the other how good the football was in ND.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post

Dont care about criteria etc. Either get serious about the game or if the top talent wont play in it then quit. Its really simple.
    I agree. I wonder if Montana has a better plan for getting players to play or if they have a better criteria? Does anyone know if the criteria is the same? 11 D1 commits for Montana. Team North Dakota isn't even close. I think it's 4 and 3 are walk ons.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post

Maybe ND is serious about the game.

hypothetical: every state has an all star FB team is there another state ND would beat over 50% of the time?

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think it's a couple of things. First is population, Montana has over a million people in the state, that makes a huge difference. 2nd, players in ND do not take it seriously as Montana, being from the west, I've heard it from both sides and I've witnessed it for myself on the ND side. My senior year in high school, we had 2 that were all state players and were asked to play in the Badlands Bowl but both declined for reasons mentioned earlier about it being in June and also they just gave up on football all together while moving on with their lives. This was a normal theme every year just from MY school...so just imagine. Now some of you may think Montana must go through the same problems of putting together a team, but this is where the population factor comes in play. Montana has the luxury of backup talent as equal to or a slight drop off from the first team selection waiting for the opportunity, if the first selected opts not to play. North Dakota on the other hand, cannot afford the impact of attrition.

Are there discrepancies in the selection process between the two states, for both players and coaches? Are coaches who have won state championships in the prior season selected as the coaches in both states? I'm not sure if this is the best idea, especially in North Dakota...if this is the case, just because they won a championship doesn't mean they are the most qualified. Back in my days, I know those coaches would also pick players from their own team...this needs to change unless of course they are deserving of it. I don't care about fairness to classes either...if the best players are all from Class A or B then so be it. Put the best players on the field no matter what class they are from. If not, just cancel the damn series! (Of course this is all moot if both states are following same guidelines when picking players and coaches)
    Last edited by Tony Almeida; 06-19-2017 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Lol. Or Montana is just better
    There was very little doubt about that. When I say they took it more serious, I meant they totally stacked that team,which they should do. We did not have the horses to keep up with them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by natstar1 View Post

hypothetical: every state has an all star FB team is there another state ND would beat over 50% of the time?
    Wyoming... Maybe Vermont and New Hampshire.. Maine possibly? That's about it...
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by natstar1 View Post

It would make a lot more sense to have a inter-state all-star game with South Dakota IMO. ND would probably still lose more often than we'd win but it just seems like a more natural fit.