Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Badlands Bowl

Default Re: Badlands Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by MinotBison View Post
    Probably should have been cancelled some time ago.
    Should have been cancelled once it was clear that North Dakota wasn’t going to bring their top kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post
    Should have been cancelled once it was clear that North Dakota wasn’t going to bring their top kids.

It appears once every few years we put together a team that can play, but yeah not a great record and a lot of ass kickings arent good. Needed to at least be reasonably competitive.
    College of Business Alumnus

Probably a lot of little things and seems like it started to become less of a priority to players and others.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post

Is MT bringing their best kids?

I'm guessing all of the "all-star" type FB games will eventually go away for the same reasons we no longer have spring games. No body wants to risk injury. Kids who play multiple sports are too busy.

Default Badlands Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    I'm guessing all of the "all-star" type FB games will eventually go away for the same reasons we no longer have spring games. No body wants to risk injury. Kids who play multiple sports are too busy.
    This, and even when I played in the MN one, the best/scholarship players were, at least now for me, understandably limited. Good High School coaches don’t want to be responsible for ruining a young kid’s career. Didn’t like it then, but understand and appreciate it now.

Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

I did 5 grueling minutes of research today and found that MT has about 500 to 700 more high school football players than ND. That’s a closer margin than I thought. Hate to say it but the pound for pound quality of football between the states seems real. Granted, I think mt has more “big” schools where the player by player quality seems to be way higher than the tiny towns. Probably for the best that the bowl is ending. Also, to me it seems like these all star games don’t jive with the social media generation.

Its fun to look at the rosters over the years

http://badlandsbowl.com/2005-roster/

A North Dakota v South Dakota All-Star game would probably be more competitive. I would also make it a game of juniors going into their senior year and push the recruiting/scouting aspect of a game like that. You could get Midco involved as the regional sports network could probably use some summer programming to go along with the Crystal Springs, Corn Palace, and Days of 76 Rodeos.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Football as a sport doesn't lend itself well to all-star games. In HS they often do them in the summer well after their season is over and the seniors are on to other things (even those who aren't playing football in college). Everything will go at partial speed because many athletes don't want to get hurt in a scrimmage. Many won't play at all for the same reason. Implementing a full offense or defense is difficult so they are very vanilla. The only exception are the college all-star games immediately following the season. Those are different because you have people fighting for attention in the NFL draft.

I enjoy the NFL Pro Bowl as a fun and entertaining event with great players. But I don't consider it much of a football game.