Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Position Discussion

Default Re: 2015 Position Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    This scenario works.
    Joe will likely need frequent breaks in the early going.
    Why would Joe need a break? If he comes out against an inferior opponent that we are beating soundly fine but otherwise he needs to be in there anchoring the line.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    Breakout year for Nick Deluca
    I'm taking this as if you haven't noticed DeLuca before, you'll notice him this year or at least should. He played extremely well when he was in last year. His ability to drop back in coverage for a guy his size is impressive. Plus he has great hands. Looking forward to watching him lead the defense. OLB will need to step up big time. Safeties will need to read plays and provide excellent support. Agree with what Tony said about the coaches ability to get these guys ready if they perform at the high level we are all accustom to.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    I'm taking this as if you haven't noticed DeLuca before, you'll notice him this year or at least should. He played extremely well when he was in last year. His ability to drop back in coverage for a guy his size is impressive. Plus he has great hands. Looking forward to watching him lead the defense. OLB will need to step up big time. Safeties will need to read plays and provide excellent support. Agree with what Tony said about the coaches ability to get these guys ready if they perform at the high level we are all accustom to.
    I know how good he is, I watched him but he played under the shadow of several of the best LB guys we ever had, he will be the show this year...imo

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    I know how good he is, I watched him but he played under the shadow of several of the best LB guys we ever had, he will be the show this year...imo

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I agree completely. I thought this of him before he ever stepped foot on the field for the Bison. I'm still of the belief if GO didn't hurt his knee and CLJ didn't move to MLB last year, he would have started with Beck and CLJ on the outside.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

tolnabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Why would Joe need a break? If he comes out against an inferior opponent that we are beating soundly fine but otherwise he needs to be in there anchoring the line.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    In many of the games last year they gave Joe a series or two off. Lechler would play LT and Plankers at RT. He definitely wasn't subbed for as much as other offensive lineman last year. Kuhnert, Schueller, and Kelly rotated a bunch at Gaurd. Hinz was our only true center with experience.

I am hoping for a more potent passing attack that can be utilized as needed to score more points quickly and keep opposing defenses guessing. I think the ground and pound offense is over-rated and leaves a team vulnerable if focused on too much. With Wentz as QB the Bison have a chance to stretch the field and somewhat increase the number of passes each game. Look for Zach Vraa to be a reliable go to guy and expect RJ Urzendowski to get even better. Hoping that Darrius Shepherd or Khayvon Hawkins surprise as new deep threats and Darius Anderson can be used like Ryan Smith. Also would love to see Lance Dunn in some pass plays out of the backfield. Luke Albers and Conor Wentz will provide reliable big TE targets and I hope they get used more often. Can't forget NDSU has a quicker TE in Jeff Illies who can use his size and speed to beat smaller LB's and secondary. Truly excited about the potential of this offense to move the ball through the air!
    Last edited by SDbison; 06-16-2015 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    I am hoping for a more potent passing attack that can be utized as needed to score more points quickly and keep opposing defenses guessing. I think the ground and pound offense is over-rated and leaves a team vulnerable if focused on too much. With Wentz as QB the Bison have a chance to stretch the field and somewhat increase the number of passes each game. Look for Zach Vraa to be a reliable go to guy and expect RJ Urzendowski to get even better. Hoping that Darrius Shepherd or Khayvon Hawkins surprise as new deep threats and Darius Anderson can be used like Ryan Smith. Also would love to see Lance Dunn in some pass plays out of the backfield. Luke Albers and Conor Wentz will provide reliable big TE targets and I hope they get used more often. Can't forget NDSU has a quicker TE in Jeff Illies who can use his size and speed to beat smaller LB's and secondary. Truly excited about the potential of this offense to move the ball through the air!
    Well, I could care less how they go about it, run or pass - the key is for the offense to be efficient and not turn the ball over. That'll get the team far. I want NDSU is top 5 in 3rd down efficiency again. The big area that needs to improve is the red zone TD%.

A lot of the play calls are going to be made by Carson, btw. Last year's offense had to be in the top 5 in the nation last year and it should be better this year, barring a barrage of injuries.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I am hoping for a more potent passing attack that can be utized as needed to score more points quickly and keep opposing defenses guessing. I think the ground and pound offense is over-rated and leaves a team vulnerable if focused on too much. With Wentz as QB the Bison have a chance to stretch the field and somewhat increase the number of passes each game. Look for Zach Vraa to be a reliable go to guy and expect RJ Urzendowski to get even better. Hoping that Darrius Shepherd or Khayvon Hawkins surprise as new deep threats and Darius Anderson can be used like Ryan Smith. Also would love to see Lance Dunn in some pass plays out of the backfield. Luke Albers and Conor Wentz will provide reliable big TE targets and I hope they get used more often. Can't forget NDSU has a quicker TE in Jeff Illies who can use his size and speed to beat smaller LB's and secondary. Truly excited about the potential of this offense to move the ball through the air!
    I think we could see a true freshman WR or 2 step up as a big playmakers this year similar to last year.

This is my "pick to click" among the receiving corp. Great target, great routes, great hands, learned from one of the all-time greats.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    I think we could see a true freshman WR or 2 step up as a big playmakers this year similar to last year.
    Be nice to have somebody do what Ryan Smith did... more than once he did an end-around carefully-crafted defensive game plans. Of course, with his hands, toughness, and speed, Ryan Smith could have been a once-a-generation player.