Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Position Discussion

Default 2015 Position Discussion

Let's get some real football discussion going in a thread dedicated to the new guys, established players and the coaches who are developing them. Who are the starters, back ups, injury prone, and questionable personnel for each position? Which players will continue to be relied upon to make the big plays and who will surprise? Is the defensive secondary or linebacker position the weakest and most unproven position going into the opening game at Montana? Will NDSU pass the ball more to enable more scoring while the defense gets more reps and matures? Look forward to talking about the Bison all the way through fall camp. Here is the most recent position review by Jeff and Dom. Have to love the size, athleticism and depth of the offensive line. Defensive positions were already covered in previous installments so maybe someone can post links to those later.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/bis...ition-preview/

Default Re: 2015 Position Discussion

Dom and Jeff talk about the offensive line.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/bis...ition-preview/

Didn't watch the blog video, but I'm really hoping Haeg can have a dominant year and really turn some heads. Would be awesome to see two Bison players selected on day 2 of next year's draft (day 1 if you really want to be optimistic). Not that the program needs any more motivation for walk on guys to come here, but he would be an awesome story to share with future recruits. Offensive line next year could be one of the best. Hope they continue to allow the back ups some playing time for depth.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

There's still some concern about Zack Johnson's knee that Kolpack and Izzo talk about in their video blog. It was still bothering him during the spring. Both he and Jeremy Kelly (back) have potentially chronic injuries so hopefully they can kick those injuries and if that's the case I think this line could be just as good as the 2013 O-line.

From the Media Blog - what Dom and Jeff think the depth chart looks like (note: I can't vouch for this being 100% accurate.) The video is well worth the watch:

RT Landon Lechler, #78, 6-7, 299, Jr.
    Jack Plankers, #70, 6-7, 321, Jr.
    Luke Bacon, #71, 6-5, 285, Fr.

RG Jeremy Keller, #54, 6-6, 286, Sr.
    Tanner Volson, #74, 6-4, 291,

C Austin Kuhnert, #75 6-4, 300, FR. Moving from OG to OC. Tanner Volson is the backup on the roster but C is listed as Freshman Christian Triplett's position.

LG Zack Johnson, #66, 6-4, 329, Jr.
    Tanner Volson, #74, 6-4, 291, Fr.

LT Joe Haeg, #59, 6-6, 299, Sr. All-American and NFL prospect. Former walk-on.
    Colin Conner, #64, 6-5, 302, Fr.

Q. Will Jeremy Kelly (back) and Zack Johnson (microfracture) be able to recover from their injuries enough to play the whole season?

Q. What's the status of Zach Ziemer?

Lots of 9-man guys. "You can't teach toughness" - Jeff Kolpack.

True freshman: Trenton Mooney, another Zack Johnson, Jack Albrecht, Andrew Trzebiatowski, Max Haskins

Decent depth, but it seems like we have said that in the past and haven't started the MVFC with depth.
    Last edited by tony; 06-16-2015 at 12:34 AM.

tolnabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I know they list Volson, Bacon, and Conner as back ups. But you would think they would move guys around with more game experience if someone is hurt. I could see Plankers slide into Gaurd if Johnson or Kelly can't go. Plankers has experience at both spots. Also last year when Haeg would come out, Lechler slid over to left tackle with Plankers at right tackle.

Really hope the kicking and offensive special teams come together. Nice to get a second kicker rolling in case of injury or simply take some pressure off lecompte.

Lecompte also does a hell of an injury impression beyond his punting ability. I think it was Sam Houston last year when he got fresh downs on a pirouette. Very lucky to have him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not forget about the in coming freshman. Mooney for one. I know the freshman on the OL will not see much if any action. But if pressed into action they will deliver.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

With the OL group, I really like watching A Kuhnert. Last season he developed a real "nasty" attitude (in a good way). Simply put, he finishes what he starts. I am expecting him to have a really good season.
    Hey Barkeep, another round of the green stuff for me and my buddies!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Do not forget about the in coming freshman. Mooney for one. I know the freshman on the OL will not see much if any action. But if pressed into action they will deliver.
    I hope it doesn't come to that. The incoming freshman are talented, but they're not ready for the MVFC. Plus, if they do play, it will mean that NDSU suffered a ton of injuries.