Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jay Flaa drafted 6th round by the Orioles!

coldspot is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Jay Flaa drafted 6th round by the Orioles!

he's not on the 40 man roster and wasn't one of the 16 non roster invitees.

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Time of bump this thread: What is Flaa's status ? Is he attending the Orioles' spring training camp? Anyone have any info on Mr. Flaa ?
    He made it to Class A short season last year. I imagine he has some work in front of him. His stats were consistent with a 23 year old college pitcher in short season class A ball but I don't know anything more than that. 6th round means a team feels a guy has some serious potential and I am sure they are keeping pretty close tabs on his development. With his age, college experience, and draft slot, I would guess they would like to see him at high AA by the end of 2016 and knocking on the door at AAA. With those variables in place and a relatively high draft pick, he has got to be on a fast track either up or out.

jeffdaryl3rd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think that saying his stats are consistent with a 23 year old in short season sells him somewhat short. His numbers were excellent. That being said, I would put the odds of his assignment to start the season at something like 3:1 for Lo-A/Hi-A. Lo-A is the most commonly skipped full-season level and the Orioles are willing to push their college players quickly, but skipping minor league levels is much more the exception than the rule. It would be pretty atypical to have a player spend the season in a short season league and get all the way to AA the following year, but if he does what he did last year I wouldn't rule it out. I just wanted to suggest that he doesn't need to be in AAA by the end of the season for it to have been a very successful year.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdaryl3rd View Post
    I think that saying his stats are consistent with a 23 year old in short season sells him somewhat short. His numbers were excellent. That being said, I would put the odds of his assignment to start the season at something like 3:1 for Lo-A/Hi-A. Lo-A is the most commonly skipped full-season level and the Orioles are willing to push their college players quickly, but skipping minor league levels is much more the exception than the rule. It would be pretty atypical to have a player spend the season in a short season league and get all the way to AA the following year, but if he does what he did last year I wouldn't rule it out. I just wanted to suggest that he doesn't need to be in AAA by the end of the season for it to have been a very successful year.
    I wasn't selling him short. He as a 6th round draft pick, 23 years old, and has college experience. There should be an expectation for him to perform at a high level immediately with that much invested in him as a 6th round pick in the minors and he delivered. If he comes out where he left off, he won't give the organization much of a choice but to keep moving him forward. That is why I suggested at the end of the year, he could very well be in discussions for AAA. Not necessarily this season, but to start 2017 or soon thereafter.

He was a 6th round pick but he signed for around 10k in slot that is projected to cost 180k to get signed. The argument could be made that the O's might cut him if he doesn't produce at a high level. Then again they might hang onto him even if he has some struggles due to the fact he is not costing a lot to have around. One thing to keep in mind is he did not pitch a lot of innings in college. He likely needs a some innings to refine his game against quality batters.

My guess is he needs be solid in AA this season and he will be on track. If he excels beyond that, more power to him.

Jay Flaa made the roster for Baltimore's Low A minor-league team,
    the Delmarva Shorebirds. Good to see him get his opportunity
    with full season ball as opposed to short season Aberdeen
    (which has not started yet). Delmarva is 16-11 so far, 2.5 games
    back in the SAL (league).
    Flaa had one rough outing on April 18th, 108.00 ERA that day.
    The 6' 3" 225 lb rhp has an ERA of 6.14 on the season in 7.1 IP,
    4 BB, 7 SO and a 1.23 WHIP. Since it he is a reliever it will take
    him a while to get that ERA low after the one bad outing.

Jay Flaa's numbers on the season so far, ERA improving:

1-0, 1 save, ERA 3.57 in 13 games, 22.2 IP, 11 BB, 23 SO 1.28 WHIP

Jay Flaa has picked up a couple more wins in relief for Delmarva,
    currently 3-0, ERA at 3.54, 16 games, 28 IP, 3 HR, 12 BB, 29 SO, 1.18 WHIP, 1 save

Jay Flaa with a rough outing July 7th, gave up a 2 run HR.
    Pitched 2.2 innings, but did have 5 SO.

Still 3-0 on the season, 18 games, 3.66 ERA, 32 IP, 13 BB, 34 SO, 1.13 WHIP, 1 save

Jay Flaa, now 25, is at Baltimore's High A Frederick farm team this season, Carolina League.
    Has been in 20 games as a relief pitcher, 4-4 in save opportunities, 26.1 IP 20 H, 1 HR, 20 BB, 36 SO
    Has had a 7.45 ERA last 10 games, raising his ERA to 4.44, with a 1-2 W-L record on the season.