Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Flaa drafted 6th round by the Orioles!

Default Jay Flaa drafted 6th round by the Orioles!

Wow! Opportunity knocks!

NDSU Senior RHP Jay Flaa drafted in the 6th round by the Baltimore Orioles. Senior sign.....

Default Re: Jay Flaa drafted 6th round by the Orioles!

2014 SEASON (JUNIOR): Made 15 appearances with one start on the mound for North Dakota State ... Pitched 26 innings and compiled an ERA of 6.58 with 29 strikeouts and 12 walks ... Posted a record of 2-2 ... Allowed 19 earned runs on 38 hits ... Struck out a season-high four batters at Northern Colorado on March 9.

2013 SEASON (SOPHOMORE): Went 1-1 with a 4.75 ERA and logged 36 1/3 innings in 13 appearances ... Earned a spot in the weekend rotation and made five starts over the last half of the Summit League schedule ... Pitched seven innings for a win over Fort Wayne allowing three runs on six hits with two walks and three strikeouts ... Matched a season-high with four strikeouts in the first Summit League championship game but lost 2-0 to South Dakota State after going 7 1/3 innings without a walk and just six singles.

2012 SEASON (REDSHIRT): Sat out the entire season as a redshirt in the Bison program.

2011 SEASON (FRESHMAN): Played at the University of Mary in Bismarck, N.D., a Division II program in the Northern Sun conference ... Started 10 games for the Marauders with a 1-7 record and 9.49 ERA ... Walked 41 and struck out 39 batters in 49 1/3 innings ... Pitched six innings of one-hit ball with one unearned run and a season-high nine strikeouts in a 12-1 win over Minnesota-Crookston ... Pitched a nine-inning complete game at Minnesota Duluth in a 4-3 loss.

HIGH SCHOOL: Graduated in 2010 from Mandan High School ... Led the Braves to the Class A state championship on his home field as a senior, hitting a three-run double that provided the eventual winning runs ... All-conference, all-state, and all-state tournament selection ... Played American Legion baseball for the Mandan Chiefs, going 11-1 with two saves and a 1.80 ERA for the state championship team in 2011 ... Also played basketball in high school.

PERSONAL: Son of Mike and Carol Flaa of Mandan ... Has an older brother, Brent ... Played for the Walla Walla Sweets in the West Coast League in the summer of 2014 ... Majoring in business administration.

http://www.gobison.com/roster.aspx?r...&path=baseball

2015 - 1-1 record, 3.79 ERA, 14 apps, 35.2 IP, 54 SO, 24 H, 15 ER, 16 BB, .194 BA against

Congrats Jay. Best of luck to you and your dream of professional baseball.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Baseball America scouting report:

Scouting Report:

A senior righthander, Flaa was North Dakota State's top reliever for a team that won just 20 games this season. He pitches off an 88-91 mph fastball and puts hitters away with a hard upper-70s slider that's a swing-and-miss offering. He had 58 strikeouts in 29 innings the previous summer in the West Coast Collegiate League, then had 54 in 36 innings in the spring for the Bison.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    Wow! Opportunity knocks!

NDSU Senior RHP Jay Flaa drafted in the 6th round by the Baltimore Orioles. Senior sign.....
    Beverages on Mr Flaa tonight! The draft slot bonus for Baltimore to spend right here in the 6th round is $232,600

Oh wait..........gotta see if that is what they are offering. A lot of these teams draft seniors with a much lower bonus amount agreed upon, so the team can spend the money on players with high price tags.
    Some of the bonus amounts for senior signs are as low as $5000, even $1000.
    The Orioles' picks so far:

1 25 Orioles D.J. Stewart OF Florida State FL

1 36 Orioles Ryan Mountcastle SS Hagerty HS, Oviedo, Fla. FL

2 68 Orioles Jonathan Hughes RHP Flowery Branch (Ga.) HS GA

3 102 Orioles Garrett Cleavinger LHP Oregon OR

4 133 Orioles Ryan McKenna OF St. Thomas Aquinas HS, Dover, N.H. NH

5 163 Orioles Jason Heinrich OF River Ridge HS, New Port Richey, Fla. FL

6 193 Orioles Jay Flaa RHP North Dakota State

congrats to flaa.

pretty crazy how a severe headcold when coming through ellis island can impact generations to follow.
    Last edited by Bison bison; 06-10-2015 at 12:48 AM.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    congrats to flaa.

pretty crazy how a serve headcold when coming through ellis island can impact generations to follow.
    I'm just wondering why his ancestors didn't finish writing their last name. Needs a "gan" at the end.
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...609-story.html

A pair of college seniors — right-hander Jay Flaa of North Dakota State (sixth round) and left-hander Reid Love of East Carolina (10th round) complete the haul for the second day.

Rajsich said he didn't expect any issues signing the 11 players selected so far. Major League Baseball recommends signing bonus figures for each draft slot in the first 10 rounds. The Orioles have $6,850,400 allotted for signing bonuses,
    with a small overage allowed before they face penalties.

If a player signs for less than his pick's slot value, the team can reassign it. Players selected after the 10th round can sign for a maximum of $100,000, with any overage taken off the bonus pool for the first 10 rounds.
    While I hope Flaa gets his entire slot amount ($232,000), this article gives some clues as to where the money is going. Especially the 7th round pick, high school RHP Gray Fenter. He is mentioned as needing 1st day money to sign, so I wouldn't be surprised to see money shifted from the 2 senior draftees, perhaps one or two others. The top picks don't look to need extra money, in fact the 2nd rd pick was a surprise, so that draft slot may also be a source of funds for elsewhere.

Orioles select high-upside arms on Day 2 of Draft
    http://m.orioles.mlb.com/news/articl...day-2-of-draft

The Orioles continued to look for undervalued arms with high upsides during Day 2 of the Draft on Tuesday.

In the sixth round, the O's selected right-hander Jay Flaa from North Dakota State University. Standing 6-foot-3 and weighing 225 pounds, he went 1-1 with a 3.79 ERA in 14 appearances, striking out 54 over 35 2/3 innings. Flaa was the 193rd pick overall...........

Jay Flaa was on with Jack Michaels radio show yesterday. I was able to listen to some of it. He is extremely excited to be getting a chance to live out a dream. I wish him all the best. Kids out there should take note that never give up on your dreams. Jay is getting his chance in Baseball and look at all the football and basketball players from NDSU getting their chances as well. If you never reach for the stars you will never grasp them.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by bri-dog View Post
    I'm just wondering why his ancestors didn't finish writing their last name. Needs a "gan" at the end.
    Flaa is more common than Flaagan. Flaa is Norwegian for bog or swamp.