Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Priority Point discussion

Default Re: TIL: Today I learned

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    Yes, thanks, I did know that. But "letter winners in what?" is my ultimate question. Obviously it appears that cheer team members or cheerleaders earn "letters" that qualify. Do you or does anyone else know if Gold Star Marching Band members receive letters? And if so, do they qualify for priority points?

Also, most high schools award "letters" for other non-athletic activities such as drama or debate. Does NDSU award such letters?

Just to be clear, I have no personal interest in this at all. Just wondering, now, if there is more discriminating criteria used than just " letter winners".
    No to band.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Trumpster is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    Yes, thanks, I did know that. But "letter winners in what?" is my ultimate question. Obviously it appears that cheer team members or cheerleaders earn "letters" that qualify. Do you or does anyone else know if Gold Star Marching Band members receive letters? And if so, do they qualify for priority points?

Also, most high schools award "letters" for other non-athletic activities such as drama or debate. Does NDSU award such letters?

Just to be clear, I have no personal interest in this at all. Just wondering, now, if there is more discriminating criteria used than just " letter winners".
    No and no.
    Hail Hydra.

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUBowler View Post
    Where's my letters for bowling?!?!

I paid out of pocket to travel around under the name of NDSU for years!!

I WANT MY POINTS!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    No to band.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpster View Post
    No and no.
    Thanks. So I am also assuming that club sports, such as lacrosse, do not receive letters either, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfanette View Post
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Interesting points Thundarsdaddy. Loafy forgot about THUNDAR!!!
    Imagine 8 LETTERS for a student athlete - WOW - (or even 4 LETTERS) and receiving the same # of pts
    (100 pts. which is a $5,000.value) as a person who cheered for one sport (maybe that lady you speak of, did not LETTER with one sport... or maybe she did (?) I guess we don't know the "criteria" for lettering 10-15-20 yrs ago.
    But should these 3 senarios end up with the same # of pts? (You used the B.S. word)
    And your point about the student who may LETTER, & then quit school. Would they receive 100pts under the present system?
    You could fill the University of Michigans FB stadium with former athletes, who got letters but did NOT get a degree at all. This went on for decades??

Pretty hard to make anyone believe that if Michigan Boosters(I dont know the name for their version of Teammakers) were rewarding "letter" winners and bragging up how they reward "student-athletes"??

And they are just one example as a University??

Sorry if I bitched in the wrong section....

Quote Originally Posted by thundarsdaddy View Post
    You could fill the University of Michigans FB stadium with former athletes, who got letters but did NOT get a degree at all. This went on for decades??

Pretty hard to make anyone believe that if Michigan Boosters(I dont know the name for their version of Teammakers) were rewarding "letter" winners and bragging up how they reward "student-athletes"??

And they are just one example as a University??

Sorry if I bitched in the wrong section....
    I didnt get my degree at NDSU. But I did letter in FB. So how does my not getting my degree at NDSU have any bearing on my getting points for lettering?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    I didnt get my degree at NDSU. But I did letter in FB. So how does my not getting my degree at NDSU have any bearing on my getting points for lettering?
    Maybe a degree should be as valuable as a letter. I didn't have boosters paying for my degree. I earned it. Then I get involved paying for scholarships. So those who have gained the most benefit from some's generosity are the same who get to get into the game with a very nice head start. Where is the equity in that system?

10 points per letter. That would have been more than fair. I don't know where I rank as I give because this is my hobby and I am satisfied with my ability to figure out how to get what I want. If I got more points, great. I probably wouldn't need them, but there are a large number of teammakers who make decisions about their money who could make different decisions and might someday if they ever know they got squeezed out by someone who jumped in ahead of them with an archery letter earned on their dime.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    Maybe a degree should be as valuable as a letter. I didn't have boosters paying for my degree. I earned it. Then I get involved paying for scholarships. So those who have gained the most benefit from some's generosity are the same who get to get into the game with a very nice head start. Where is the equity in that system?

10 points per letter. That would have been more than fair. I don't know where I rank as I give because this is my hobby and I am satisfied with my ability to figure out how to get what I want. If I got more points, great. I probably wouldn't need them, but there are a large number of teammakers who make decisions about their money who could make different decisions and might someday if they ever know they got squeezed out by someone who jumped in ahead of them with an archery letter earned on their dime.
    And the athletes didnt earn it?

The scenarios people are coming up with so they can be pissed off is getting ridiculous.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

And the athletes didnt earn it?

The scenarios people are coming up with so they can be pissed off is getting ridiculous.
    10 points per letter. That is what it should have been. Quite simple. They didn't earn a 100 points for a one letter.

As far as what is ridiculous, lets get real here. The purpose of NDSU is to educate and research. The athletic program should be an extension of that, not the other way around. Teammakers is supposed to be about helping young men and women achieve the goal of an education through athletics, not the other way around. The reward for the student/athlete is the opportunity to compete and for many, the opportunity to go to school on a scholarship. Did you notice the word scholar in there. It refers to academics, not athletics. So depending on your perspective and what is really important to you, yes the point system is not rewarding those who have earned it. If you don't see it from this perspective, Bison football could just as well be a minor league sports program and not attached to its primary goal of education. Of course those who did not finish that journey at NDSU want to trivialize that part of it and claim the athletic contribution is superior to the real reason they were supposed to be there in the first place. When the focus is lost on the goal of a degree and the true purpose of what a booster club's primary mission is, then we are no better than any of the other schools out there that put athletics on such a pedestal they can't remember what they were supposed to be doing in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    10 points per letter. That is what it should have been. Quite simple. They didn't earn a 100 points for a one letter.

As far as what is ridiculous, lets get real here. The purpose of NDSU is to educate and research. The athletic program should be an extension of that, not the other way around. Teammakers is supposed to be about helping young men and women achieve the goal of an education through athletics, not the other way around. The reward for the student/athlete is the opportunity to compete and for many, the opportunity to go to school on a scholarship. Did you notice the word scholar in there. It refers to academics, not athletics. So depending on your perspective and what is really important to you, yes the point system is not rewarding those who have earned it. If you don't see it from this perspective, Bison football could just as well be a minor league sports program and not attached to its primary goal of education. Of course those who did not finish that journey at NDSU want to trivialize that part of it and claim the athletic contribution is superior to the real reason they were supposed to be there in the first place. When the focus is lost on the goal of a degree and the true purpose of what a booster club's primary mission is, then we are no better than any of the other schools out there that put athletics on such a pedestal they can't remember what they were supposed to be doing in the first place.
    People were also giver letters who never played in a game. You jerked off about that as well? Before you get all high and mighty again I will explain--- They were on the team for 4 years and worked their butts off just like the rest of us. They just never saw any game time to earn their letter. You want to trivialize that also?

People were also giver letters who never played in a game. You jerked off about that as well? Before you get all high and mighty again I will explain--- They were on the team for 4 years and worked their butts off just like the rest of us. They just never saw any game time to earn their letter. You want to trivialize that also?
    The exact response I expected from you. You want to continue to deflect away from where the focus should be and continue to ask questions with no bearing on the discussion. Fine, you want college athletics to be your entertainment and idolize on the field performance. I want to help continuing to provide young men and women the opportunity of an education and enjoy the success of Bison athletics as an extension of the education experience. Where one falls on that spectrum is how valued they will view a booster. Today I learned that providing the opportunity is less important than those who take advantage of it. Well, I already knew some thought that way.