Thread: Off season bits

Default Off season bits

Haven't seen a ton of results for Bison guys in the offseason. Probably the most notable result was asst coach Derek St John taking 5th at US senior nationals in Vegas. He got some revenge and beat Jason Welch after falling to him in the NCAA tourney a few years back and again at an AGON event this spring. Pretty surprised I haven't seen Bison grad Kallen Kleinschmidt in any results this offseason, as I thought he was active, and fairly successful, on the senior circuit. He was at the open practice at NCAAs and looked to be in good shape too.

Several guys are signed up to wrestle in the 2015 UWW Cadet & University Nationals tourney. Tirso Lara looks to be the only one signed up in Greco, but Lara, Clay Ream, Charley Popp, Tyler McNutt, Hayden Zillmer, and Jared Nieland are all signed up to compete in freestyle. Ream has an enormous bracket and placing would be impressive. Not sure of his past credentials in FS, maybe Gladiator Dad can help. I think Zillmer has a good shot to win it, in a tough bracket with some big names. He's always been good at the Olympic styles and I see that continuing. Nice to see McNutt and Nieland out there, as they may be called on to start this season. Best of the luck to all of them

MSUM signed NDSU All American Steven Monk to be an assistant coach. He takes over for Evan Forde (Fargo's own), who got hired to be the head coach Minot State.

Default Re: Off season bits

Clay has done relatively well in Freestyle over the years and is used to these 100 man plus brackets at these type of events. That's what he gets for being in those middle weight classes, LOL. He has won Southern Plains in FS a few times placed as a Cadet FS at Fargo and also at Fila Cadets. In his last year as a JR at Fargo he went 6-2 but was one match away from placing. Last year at this event, he wrestled up in weight and went 2-2. I will be heading out to Akron in the morning and I'm looking forward to see how our Bison Wrestlers perform in this year's tournament. In looking over some of the names entered it's a pretty impressive list considering it's "the off-season".

Just following on trackwrestling, but Zillmer had a nice comeback win vs All American Blake Stauffer. Clay Ream is one win from the quarters in that monster of a bracket and has Collin Heffernan next (who has a couple really nice wins already this tourney). Bengston is wrestling and lost round one, but has a reasonable road to battle back to place.

Day 1 Results, Wrestlers Names that are Bold are still alive to place

2015 UWW Cadet & University Nationals-FS Results for Bison WC
    University MFS 57 KG - Tirso Lara's place is unknown and has scored 1.00 team points.
    Champ. Round 1 - Anthony Bosco (Carolina Wrestling Club) won by tech fall over Tirso Lara (Bison WC) (TF 10-0)
    Cons. Round 1 - Tirso Lara (Bison WC) won by decision over Britain Carter (Columbia(TMWC)) (Dec 15-10)
    Cons. Round 2 - Johnson Mai (Columbia(TMWC)) won by tech fall over Tirso Lara (Bison WC) (TF 20-9)

University MFS 65 KG - Mitchell Bengtson's place is unknown and has scored 4.00 team points.
    Champ. Round 1 - Christopher Carton (University of Iowa) won by decision over Mitchell Bengtson (Bison WC) (Dec 9-0)
    Cons. Round 1 - Mitchell Bengtson (Bison WC) received a bye () (Bye)
    Cons. Round 2 - Mitchell Bengtson (Bison WC) won by decision over Dylan Caruana (bearcat wrestling club) (Dec 10-3)
    Cons. Round 3 - Mitchell Bengtson (Bison WC) won by fall over Maurice Miller (Notre Dame College) (Fall 3:55)
    Cons. Round 4 - Mitchell Bengtson (Bison WC) won by decision over Nick Boggs (Lake Erie College) (Dec 9-2)

University MFS 70 KG - Clayton Ream's place is unknown and has scored 6.00 team points.
    Champ. Round 1 - Clayton Ream (Bison WC) received a bye () (Bye)
    Champ. Round 2 - Clayton Ream (Bison WC) won by decision over Cohl Fulk (Wolfpack Wrestling Club) (Dec 12-3)
    Champ. Round 3 - Clayton Ream (Bison WC) won by tech fall over Timmy Box (Drillers) (TF 10-0)
    Champ. Round 4 - Colin Heffernan (Central Michigan Regional Trai) won by decision over Clayton Ream (Bison WC) (Dec 10-6)

University MFS 80 KG - Charley Popp's place is unknown and has scored 0.00 team points.
    Champ. Round 1 - Brett Stein (Bulldog Elite Wrestling Club) won by tech fall over Charley Popp (Bison WC) (TF 12-2)
    Cons. Round 1 - Charley Popp (Bison WC) received a bye () (Bye)
    Cons. Round 2 - Cody Wierciocn (PWC RTC) won by tech fall over Charley Popp (Bison WC) (TF 13-0)

University MFS 80 KG - Tyler Mcnutt's place is unknown and has scored 0.00 team points.
    Champ. Round 1 - Tyler Mcnutt (Bison WC) received a bye () (Bye)
    Champ. Round 2 - Jack Mckeever (bearcat wrestling club) won by tech fall over Tyler Mcnutt (Bison WC) (TF 12-1)
    Cons. Round 2 - Tyler Mcnutt (Bison WC) received a bye () (Bye)
    Cons. Round 3 - Ryan Forrest (Patriot Elite RTC) won by decision over Tyler Mcnutt (Bison WC) (Dec 9-9)

University MFS 86 KG - Hayden Zillmer's place is unknown and has scored 8.00 team points.
    Champ. Round 1 - Hayden Zillmer (Bison WC) received a bye () (Bye)
    Champ. Round 2 - Hayden Zillmer (Bison WC) won by tech fall over Derek Sivertsen (Gator/OKCU-RTC) (TF 10-0)
    Champ. Round 3 - Hayden Zillmer (Bison WC) won by decision over Blake Stauffer (AZ State) (Dec 2-2)
    Champ. Round 4 - Hayden Zillmer (Bison WC) won by tech fall over Steven Schneider (bearcat wrestling club) (TF 10-0)

University MFS 125 KG - Jerrad Nieland's place is unknown and has scored 1.00 team points.
    Champ. Round 1 - Jerrad Nieland (Bison WC) received a bye () (Bye)
    Champ. Round 2 - William Smith (Rutgers) won by tech fall over Jerrad Nieland (Bison WC) (TF 11-1)
    Cons. Round 2 - Jerrad Nieland (Bison WC) won by decision over Jacob Morris (Rochester) (Dec 17-9y 1 results.

Zillmer is the champion at 86 kg, with very good wins over Pat Downey, Blake Stauffer, Ryan Loder, and Ethan Lofthouse. Pretty impressive to win a weight as loaded as this one was.

Bengston takes 7th after losing in round 1. Wins over Speno and Gardiner are definitely quality ones in my book.

Ream winds up 2 matches short of placing with losses to Heffernan and John Boyle in a massive meatgrinder of a bracket. Boyle was a high seed at 157 going into NCAAs and Heffernan is very solid. Beating Edwin Cooper and Rick Durso are very good wins. For as loaded as this bracket was, pretty solid result.

Tourney isn't over and I didn't get to watch most of the matches, but if Collica doesn't win OW, I'd hope Zillmer does. Others had a more dominant tournament, but nobody else had to go through as much high end talent to win a title as Zillmer did.

Gladiator dad,

Any thoughts on how they looked, being as you were there and able to catch a lot more? I missed Clay's match vs Heffernan, how was it? How did McNutt look too?

Just going by the results of the past year, I'm still struggling to see who starts at 174 and HWT.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Gladiator dad,

Any thoughts on how they looked, being as you were there and able to catch a lot more? I missed Clay's match vs Heffernan, how was it? How did McNutt look too?

Just going by the results of the past year, I'm still struggling to see who starts at 174 and HWT.
    I will start with Clay and give you a breakdown of each guys performance.
    Clay's match with Heffernan was a close one. Clay was down and came back to tie it up 6-6, Heffernan got off a good shot just under 30 sec left to go up 8-6 Clay tried to roll him thru for 2 but Heffernan was able to stop the roll thru and was awarded 2 more at the end.
    Also Clay lost in the round of 12 he needed to win that last match vs Boyle and he would've placed. Overall I think he did pretty well and he was very disappointed in that last match vs Boyle, he had some good opportunities to score but was unable to finish a couple of them but wrestled tough overall for the weekend.

Zillmer, wrestled great over the weekend and looked strong in every match.If I had to pick a favorite match I would pick the match vs Stauffer. They have went back and forth over the past year and it was good to see Zillmer score at the end to secure the win. The Downey match was close for awhile but Zillmer opened it up in the 2nd period and just took control of the match.

Bengtson deserves the Road Warrior Award because after dropping that first match it is a long road back to place after that. I think this is best I've seen Mitch wrestle he really performed well and it was great to see him come back and place. He caught a nice break with the Inj Def of the match with Jake Velarde although it's a shame because I would have really like to have watched them wrestle each other. Overall I think Bengtson did a fantastic job over the weekend.

Tirso Lara started out a little rough but had a nice comeback and won his next match after the poor start to his tourny. I know the score shows he got teched in his third match but he was in it up until the time he just got hit with a great gut wrench series by Mai of Columbia.

Popp learned a great lesson in that you really don't want to wrestle up too high above your normal weight class, those boys get big up there and he was simply out muscled for the most part. His fundamentals were solid but sometimes when you meet someone with the same good fundamentals but stronger your day ends early.

Nieland at times looked pretty good, I thought he was hosed in a couple of matches with his opponent being awarded a 4 when it was really only a 2 for the takedown, I guess those big boys have a lot of back to be exposed and the refs just throw up the 4s. He looked like he has been working on his throws and was in position a couple of times to throw to hit the big move but stepped out instead.

Last but not least Mr Mcnutt. in his first match he looked a little nervous and got down early and at this tourny its almost a death card once your down by 6 or more to comeback in a match. His last match vs Forrest he looked very solid and Forrest came back late to tie the score and win on criteria but in that match he was setting up and hitting a couple of good shots and looked like he is improving on his feet. He watched everyone of Zillmer's matches and I noticed him asking Hayden questions after most of the matches, good sign in my opinion of a kid that wants to get better and I think that Zillmer is a kid that can get him ready for next season.

Thanks for all of the insight. It's nice to see such good performances from the guys. I'm really looking forward to next season.

By the way, congrats to Clay for keeping a 4.0 in such a tough major.

Watching Stibral this week, he reminds me of a young Knutson a bit. Needs to improve his leg defense quite a bit and add a bit more strength, but he has some good tools. Even with that said, I'm really regretting Rylee Streiffel de-committing. He's super agile, quick, and had great mat sense in a few matches I watched. A lot of Gopher fans have said they need to find a bridge HWT from Kroells to when Gable Stevensen is college age, but I think they already have that guy with Streiffel. I'm skeptical his frame will support putting on a lot more weight, but he moves so well that I don't think it'll be a big issue.

I know its an extreme long shot, but I'd be on board with throwing a big offer at Beau Breske right now. Everybody wants him, but right now he's everyone's #2 option behind Mark Hall. Yesterday coach Eggum and Becker from MN even told us that Breske "is our backup plan, but he's also everyone else's backup plan in the running for Hall". I'm sure Breske knows he's most of the big teams #2 choice and I wonder if a coach like Kish could pique his interest by selling him on being your first choice and a big offer.

Also, thank you to Michigan State for deciding to promote an assistant from within and not opening up their head coaching job, even though they've been pretty much devoid of success for the past couple decades. I always thought Kish (or Bono) would be a great fit there, but now that isn't a concern. Puzzling decision, but I'm happy with it.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Watching Stibral this week, he reminds me of a young Knutson a bit. Needs to improve his leg defense quite a bit and add a bit more strength, but he has some good tools. Even with that said, I'm really regretting Rylee Streiffel de-committing. He's super agile, quick, and had great mat sense in a few matches I watched. A lot of Gopher fans have said they need to find a bridge HWT from Kroells to when Gable Stevensen is college age, but I think they already have that guy with Streiffel. I'm skeptical his frame will support putting on a lot more weight, but he moves so well that I don't think it'll be a big issue.

I know its an extreme long shot, but I'd be on board with throwing a big offer at Beau Breske right now. Everybody wants him, but right now he's everyone's #2 option behind Mark Hall. Yesterday coach Eggum and Becker from MN even told us that Breske "is our backup plan, but he's also everyone else's backup plan in the running for Hall". I'm sure Breske knows he's most of the big teams #2 choice and I wonder if a coach like Kish could pique his interest by selling him on being your first choice and a big offer.

Also, thank you to Michigan State for deciding to promote an assistant from within and not opening up their head coaching job, even though they've been pretty much devoid of success for the past couple decades. I always thought Kish (or Bono) would be a great fit there, but now that isn't a concern. Puzzling decision, but I'm happy with it.

This might be the reason for all the de-commits so I would be careful what you offer...since no one has given a definitive answer to all the hopefuls de-committing, I can speculate.

I think we lost some good commits...I hope this doesn't become a trend. I guess a few more years down the road we will find out.