Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carey Woods Joins the MBB Team as a Walk On

Default Carey Woods Joins the MBB Team as a Walk On

FARGO — Carey Woods gave up one sport, but is going after another at North Dakota State. Head men's basketball coach Dave Richman said Monday the former Bison football player is walking on to the basketball team.

Woods gave up football last week after three seasons including redshirting as a freshman. He'll have two years of eligibility in basketball.

"We visited and we're going to play things out this semester," Richman said. "He's going to be around our guys working out."
    http://www.inforum.com/sports/372668...asketball-team
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Default Re: Carey Woods Joins the MBB Team as a Walk On

Does he have any chance to get any minutes at all, or does he just want to be a part of the basketball program and the game?

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Does he have any chance to get any minutes at all, or does he just want to be a part of the basketball program and the game?
    with LA gone I would say YES, yes he does have a shot.

He should fill in with Carlin Dupree and Malik Clements at the guard position ( Miller, AJ, Brown & Dexter are locked in)

Im excited for him. for the last 2 years Carey & Crockett would beat anyone 2-2 at the Wellness!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

If I recall he was torn whether he wanted to pursue basketball or football in college when he graduated from high school. I wanna say he had basketball scholarship offers but they weren't D1 offers.

Did some digging and found this where he scored 52 in a game in 2011 setting a Bemijdi High School record: http://www.maxpreps.com/news/Cv4z4DY...basketball.htm.

Apparently he averaged 27 ppg as a junior and closer to 30 a game as a senior based on this video.

So seems like he has some legit ability, just a matter of whether that translates to the D1 college game.

Just think, if NDSU makes it back to the dance in either of the next two years, he could potentially walk away from NDSU with three football national championships rings and an appearance or two in the dance. Would be a pretty unique accomplishment.

If Carey makes the team what position do we see him playing? How have his basketball skills changed since playing football? Can he still shoot lights out? Is he is lock down defender? Does he provide depth to the team? I think the last one is a yes right away. For the other I guess we will have to wait and see. Mr B. or El Chapo have any thoughts on this switch between sports? I for one look forward to what he can bring to mens basketball.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Only other person I can think of (at least since I have been at NDSU) to play both football and basketball at NDSU was Lorenzo Riley, but he didn't quit basketball just did football for his 5th year.

This could be pretty cool! He might be the best walk on at NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by North Side View Post
    Only other person I can think of (at least since I have been at NDSU) to play both football and basketball at NDSU was Lorenzo Riley, but he didn't quit basketball just did football for his 5th year.

Paging Craig Aamodt?
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Carey will certainly have a chance to earn a role and get some minutes but it wont be easy because of the talent he will have to pass to get it. I see Woods as a wing, playing the 2 or 3. Woods did have D 2 offers and some interest from D1 schools that included NDSU. Clearly he is motivated to give this a shot and work hard as he is giving up a scholarship to walk on.

Quote Originally Posted by North Side View Post

Don't forget about Jeremiah Wurzbacher and Nick Mertens.

http://www.gobison.com/custompages/m...7/teamcume.htm
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.