Page 7 of 139 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: BISONATION Recruiting Updates

Default Re: BISONATION Recruiting Updates

Read the other offers. We aren't the only regional schools recruiting there. It's everyone expanding their footprint.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    Read the other offers. We aren't the only regional schools recruiting there. It's everyone expanding their footprint.
    What does that have to do with Bison and their 4 titles in a row with mostly midwestern kids?

They landed 1 kid from Florida and one from California last year and 11 I believe from MN doesnt feel to me like they are straying from the Midwest too much.

It will be interesting to see who all camps here for the out of state offers. Austin is really keyed into the Tampa area and a known name there. I am curious to see if he can pull some HS talent from teams and the area he coached against.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post
    It scares me a bit that we are expanding the footprint...midwest is what has been working for us with a few exceptions here and there.

Is this going to be the norm for this new coaching staff and is this footprint going to eventually get even larger while potentially passing over a midwest kid for a Florida kid?

I don't know where the assistants recruited from when at their previous schools but I do know this, they weren't winning championships at their respective schools...

Please refrain from the usual "I trust what the coaches are doing, that's why they are the coaches and we are not" statements.
    We all know those championship teams were something special and last year, at times, I think we gave the new coaches too much credit, even Coach Entz said he was learning from the players, remember? I think I could've coached that team with almost the same results (I kid, I kid). But those players were not from Florida, California, Texas, etc...with a few exceptions and that's great. Sometimes skilled positions and the occasional "big gets" coming from elsewhere is a good idea. But recruiting at these places for the reason "they have a larger number of talent or greater talent" is not a good idea.

I think we will never know the true nature and potential of this staff until we see THEIR recruits on the field...

Coach K is the mastermind, of course, (and this is the reason I get some sleep at night) and I think he will keep us in the midwest footprint for the most part...that's what I AM hoping for anyway.

Corn fed and bred...every time!

Sorry if this sounded so negative...but I'm just a crazy fan with some anxiety issues that's all.
    Haters it's all you.
    I'm big on recruiting the traditional footprint as well sometimes it's tough to find corners, receivers, running backs, and defensive ends in the midwest just on numbers alone.

Considering our last class was so midwest heavy, attrition will likely be super low. Couple that with the fact we take very few transfers or juco players, we can probably afford to be a little more riskier.

Places like Florida, Texas, Illinois, and California are a little more boom or bust type areas. You can find super skilled guys like DJ McNorton, Warren Holloway, and Mike Sigers but you also find busts.

I think the key is getting on them early. I cringe when we have classes with last minute signings from random plces who have never set foot on campus and the coaches are filling spots because they didn't close the midwest kids. This appears to be different. Hopefully these guys are more like Tre Dempsey and Board. Great talent and character.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TXBison View Post
    They landed 1 kid from Florida and one from California last year and 11 I believe from MN doesnt feel to me like they are straying from the Midwest too much.
    Check out BisoNation.info please.

First year the coaches were almost limited in their recruiting because of the whirlwind they were thrown into that goes along with a coaching change and a championship team...first priorities were reassuring the commits and the kids that were on our radar...which were mostly midwestern kids. This year, yes we got a lot of midwestern kids but look at how they are expanding the footprint for next year...

What worries me, are the old habits of the new coaches showing its true colors now that they are settled in? Are they starting to recruit like they did when at their previous schools coz, like I said in my earlier post, they weren't exactly winning championships at those schools...

And again like I said before, coach K is the only reason why I'm not overly worried about this because he knows what it takes to win and I think he will keep us on the right path.

You know the saying, "Why fix something..." right?

This doesn't mean I am totally against recruiting in the south, I would love to get WR's, RB's, DB's from there to a certain extent.

It feels like I'm repeating myself, but apparently some here are not smelling what I'm stepping in.

Gotta love the off season...

Clearly I'm not smelling what you are stepping in, if you talk to the coaches this last class was their class, they had a full year to put a plan together and go get who they wanted and they did and it was full of Midwestern kids. They were active in Florida last year along with Texas but they are fully committed to getting kids that are close by 1st and filling certain needs where they can get them. Remember Entz came from the working with coach K prior to NDSU.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If Klieman had not been on Bohl's staff and a main cog on Bohl's staff, then maybe you could sell me on the whole Bohl's recruits vs. Klieman's recruits thing. But Klieman was on the staff with Bohl, and a main cog on that staff both on the field and for recruiting. I don't buy whole Bohl's vs. Klieman's recruits thing under those circumstances. I get the impression that Klieman was as close to or closer to Bohl's recruits than Bohl was.

Hey, Bohl was a great coach no doubt, but by the time he exited, he was having a hard time getting his head through the doorway. If I sent my kid to play for Bohl or Klieman, that would be an easy choice, I'd take Klieman, and I'd say the same thing if he left tomorrow.

Seems like we are going after better athletes with better resumes then in years past. Im not worried.

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Seems like we are going after better athletes with better resumes then in years past. Im not worried.
    It's not about the talent, it is about whether or not they will stay.

I have posted this before but in summary, the Bison have very high retention rates for states that border ND, >70% as I recall over the period of time Bohl through Klieman. The peripheral states of WI, IA, NE, IL the retention rate dips a bit to around 50% (except for WI which is about as high as MN). For the outer rim states such as MI, CA, AZ, TX, FL, MO, KS, etc, the retention rates are less than 20%.

I think you really have to get a butt load of talent in the 1 in 5 player that stays from FL, TX, and CA to make that recruiting investment pay off.