Page 96 of 139 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast

Thread: BISONATION Recruiting Updates

Default Re: BISONATION Recruiting Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    He is all over, non stop. probably the best recruiter around. Guy is just hard nosed and competitive.
    He's the type of guy that'd be very difficult to say no to. Not that I'm too old to play, however, I'm not of age to play either, but if he came and recruited me out of the blue, I'd ask him where the nearest brick wall is I could run through for him. Hoping to get five minutes of his time at the signing day party.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonwinagn View Post
    I agree it's like being engaged until a hotter chick comes along and you tell your old lady to kindly fuck off. But that's the way the world is today!!!!
    I think this is a vastly incomplete comparison. You're forgetting the part where the relationship between a prospective athlete and any school is conditional. And it's not a permanent, life long decision. It's for four or five years and you get one shot, even if that "old lady" isn't what she appeared to be during the recruiting process. The second a kid gets a serious knee injury, that old lady has no difficulty telling him to "fuck off." What about all the high school players that are pursued, told that is a school is interested, strung along for months waiting, and just not offered because someone better came along? We continue blaming these kids for changing their minds, but what do you expect? Not to mention that the part of the brain focused on judgment, planning, and higher-order thinking isn't even fully developed until the mid-20's.

Personally, what is screwed up about the whole situation is that it happens the other way around and people seem to not care. I mean, full grown men (Harbaugh at Michigan most recently) that take away an offer and a kid is left in a terrible situation. So no, I don't fault a kid for playing the field because the field is in the process of playing him.

Bison_Pride is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Don't start bringing common sense into this.

Quote Originally Posted by NodakNate View Post
    I think this is a vastly incomplete comparison. You're forgetting the part where the relationship between a prospective athlete and any school is conditional. And it's not a permanent, life long decision. It's for four or five years and you get one shot, even if that "old lady" isn't what she appeared to be during the recruiting process. The second a kid gets a serious knee injury, that old lady has no difficulty telling him to "fuck off." What about all the high school players that are pursued, told that is a school is interested, strung along for months waiting, and just not offered because someone better came along? We continue blaming these kids for changing their minds, but what do you expect? Not to mention that the part of the brain focused on judgment, planning, and higher-order thinking isn't even fully developed until the mid-20's.

Personally, what is screwed up about the whole situation is that it happens the other way around and people seem to not care. I mean, full grown men (Harbaugh at Michigan most recently) that take away an offer and a kid is left in a terrible situation. So no, I don't fault a kid for playing the field because the field is in the process of playing him.
    Congrats.......real easy to rationalize any thing. I believe this stuff is going to happen and the recruits and schools/coaches both do it, but it seems to be happening at an increasing rate. Personally I don't think it's proper and should be an exception, not a frequent occurrence like it is becoming. Why bother with verbals anymore when they don't mean anything?

Bison_Pride is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

What is the source of you thinking it's happening more now than ever? Social Media? Or do you have actual contact with coaches and players?

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    He's the type of guy that'd be very difficult to say no to. Not that I'm too old to play, however, I'm not of age to play either, but if he came and recruited me out of the blue, I'd ask him where the nearest brick wall is I could run through for him. Hoping to get five minutes of his time at the signing day party.
    It's easy, just say yes and change your mind later, its OK, no problem.......nobody is counting on you, no reflection on your character.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison_Pride View Post
    What is the source of you thinking it's happening more now than ever? Social Media? Or do you have actual contact with coaches and players?
    Just from watching recruiting over the years. Maybe nothing, but I think kids these days are constantly looking for upgrades. Won't commit to work or attend events. Always looking for an upgrade through social media. Seems to be translating here. But just discount me and my opinions as coming from a crazy guy in his 50's. Real personal relationships meant a lot more in my generation. Fakebook friends and meaningless likes are how much of the younger generation grade themselves.

All i can say about this thread for last few pages... Like sand through an hour glass, so are the days of our lives. What a bunch of drama going on. Lets drop what an 18 yr old should or should not do (as they are teens and dont always know anyways), and actually speak about positive about what we have now. This is a great class, and if they are getting B10 offers congrats, means we are getting some great athletes. I remember the days, ppl complained that we got recruits with no stars.. seems alot of those no stars got some pretty dang nice bling now.
    "If FBS teams are looking for an FCS cupcake, might I suggest North Dakota instead of North Dakota State." - John Taylor NBC College football talk writer

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Just from watching recruiting over the years. Maybe nothing, but I think kids these days are constantly looking for upgrades. Won't commit to work or attend events. Always looking for an upgrade through social media. Seems to be translating here. But just discount me and my opinions as coming from a crazy guy in his 50's. Real personal relationships meant a lot more in my generation. Fakebook friends and meaningless likes are how much of the younger generation grade themselves.
    I sure hope that you don't feel I'm discounting your opinions or that line of thinking. I grew up in a home that valued keeping your word, reliability, and honesty, and I think these are very important values. However, for every "man filled with integrity and honesty that kept their word" there is another man more than willing to use that line of thinking for his own gain. This is not different today than it was 50 years ago.

The only difference is that with social media and the internet these kind of people called out and receive much more exposure, which is the world we now live in. Hell, I can sit in Oklahoma and know the in's and out's of these recruits, the visits, their tweets, watch the highlights, and know the day a kid from Wisconsin verbals. 50 years ago I could have lived in Fargo and never know a 1/100th of what I am currently exposed to on a daily basis. That is what is different. Not the "this younger generation is a bunch of punks that don't know [insert comment here]."

Bottom line is..... if a student/athlete would rather be somewhere else instead of NDSU, they should go. It makes room for the next kid who really wants to be part of the program. If their heart isn't here, their body shouldn't be here either. The team enviroment will always be more important than the individuals that make it up.