Page 35 of 61 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU Football TV Ratings

Default Re: NDSU Football TV Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    No just curious if it came down to u choosing between two pies which would u want most?

I know u won't change your mind and u think football is growing so what's the point....I have yet to see anyone sway you from an opinion. U provided evidence its growing I think at best its a spurious relationship and provided data to suggest why. Not much more I can do
    I think you're correct on this one. The mild growth in college teams is being driven by the dream of big money. But the data from youth program participation, and the big drop in attendance at the college and pro levels suggests the growth in college teams is a bubble that will be popped in a few years.

High school participation dropped around 6% from 2010 until 2018. It's possible the total number of HS teams went up, but only because the creation of 6- and 8-man teams slightly outpaced the decline of 11-man teams(down 147 teams over 9 years).

And youth football participation is way down as well, with some areas seeing a 40% decline or more. One source showed a participation decline in age 7+ tackle football from 8.4M in 2006 to 5.22M in 2017. Another source stated a combined 8.2% of kids 6-12 played tackle or flag football in 2008. That percentage dropped to 6.2% in 2017.

If football in the US dies, it won't start at the college or pro levels; those will be the last to go. It will start dying at the youth level and work its way up over a decade. Data suggests the process has already begun.

My gut says we're seeing a nova effect. In the last years of most stars' lives, they exhaust their supply of hydrogen and helium and begin to swell up many times their normal size as they as they work their way up the periodic table and start using higher element fuels. The growth doesn't mean they're healthy, it means they're dying. After many years of swelling, they exhaust those higher element fuels and shrink to a fraction of their original size and energy. We might be currently seeing the tail-end of football's nova phase.

(FYI, our sun's nova phase will likely cause it to grow enough that its surface will extend past Earth's orbit. Poof.)

So if I understand you correctly, football is causing global warming?

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

2018 Bison roll UCF. Run them right off the field in the 4th quarter. Klieman could pick the score but he takes a knee with first and goal because he's a dang nice guy.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I think you're correct on this one. The mild growth in college teams is being driven by the dream of big money. But the data from youth program participation, and the big drop in attendance at the college and pro levels suggests the growth in college teams is a bubble that will be popped in a few years.

High school participation dropped around 6% from 2010 until 2018. It's possible the total number of HS teams went up, but only because the creation of 6- and 8-man teams slightly outpaced the decline of 11-man teams(down 147 teams over 9 years).

And youth football participation is way down as well, with some areas seeing a 40% decline or more. One source showed a participation decline in age 7+ tackle football from 8.4M in 2006 to 5.22M in 2017. Another source stated a combined 8.2% of kids 6-12 played tackle or flag football in 2008. That percentage dropped to 6.2% in 2017.

If football in the US dies, it won't start at the college or pro levels; those will be the last to go. It will start dying at the youth level and work its way up over a decade. Data suggests the process has already begun.

My gut says we're seeing a nova effect. In the last years of most stars' lives, they exhaust their supply of hydrogen and helium and begin to swell up many times their normal size as they as they work their way up the periodic table and start using higher element fuels. The growth doesn't mean they're healthy, it means they're dying. After many years of swelling, they exhaust those higher element fuels and shrink to a fraction of their original size and energy. We might be currently seeing the tail-end of football's nova phase.

(FYI, our sun's nova phase will likely cause it to grow enough that its surface will extend past Earth's orbit. Poof.)
    Yes, it is dying from the bottom up...some say a dramatic impact will be felt in 10 years some say it will be gone as we know it in 30 years. Which to bring this back so we are somewhat back on topic means ratings are going to be impacted. When ratings are significantly and consistently impacted, it will be a catalyst for change. NDSU is going to have to position itself so that it keeps climbing the ladder or it will certainly die.

Again, my main point is such....If the FBS ever figures out a true playoff. One that mimics the FCS. NDSU better do all it can to jump, cuz if it does not, it will most certainly die.

IMO the playoff is the key!!!!! At the end of the day, I think the fans want a real playoff, and maybe that causes the G5 who have no chance to move back to FCS. which would have the same life-saving impact (generate interest and drive advertising)

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Yes, it is dying from the bottom up...some say a dramatic impact will be felt in 10 years some say it will be gone as we know it in 30 years. Which to bring this back so we are somewhat back on topic means ratings are going to be impacted. When ratings are significantly and consistently impacted, it will be a catalyst for change. NDSU is going to have to position itself so that it keeps climbing the ladder or it will certainly die.

Again, my main point is such....If the FBS ever figures out a true playoff. One that mimics the FCS. NDSU better do all it can to jump, cuz if it does not, it will most certainly die.

IMO the playoff is the key!!!!! At the end of the day, I think the fans want a real playoff, and maybe that causes the G5 who have no chance to move back to FCS. which would have the same life-saving impact (generate interest and drive advertising)
    So to save football from dying off from the bottom there needs to be a playoff????? Thats the magic wand????
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    pro football is often unwatchable and ethically dubious. Many college teams have jacked up ticket prices to the point that students and young fans cant afford to go, over a period where economics prospects for the yound have whithered.

the number of high school students has also fallen slightly since the peak millenial wave from 2004-2010 or so. The primary driver of the decline in participation is more likely economics. https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcook.../#401f0a962e4c

again, its the economics. Participation in virtually all sports is down, not just football.

Wow, and I came to this thread to read about ratings. Many things are going to die out unless something changes with the way parents are raising their kids, let alone all the garbage taught in public schools. Yep and all the oil was going to be gone before the year 2000 according to the experts back in 1977. Now it's global warming and high schools kids won't be playing football. The only reason football dies is all the illegal immigrant Mexicans keep flooding over the border and they take over and make boring soccer most important in the USA.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Wow, and I came to this thread to read about ratings. Many things are going to die out unless something changes with the way parents are raising their kids, let alone all the garbage taught in public schools. Yep and all the oil was going to be gone before the year 2000 according to the experts back in 1977. Now it's global warming and high schools kids won't be playing football. The only reason football dies is all the illegal immigrant Mexicans keep flooding over the border and they take over and make boring soccer most important in the USA.
    I don't know what you mean by this but I get sick and tired of hearing this broad swipe at public education. Come take my class. My kids have to work and they will know the subject material by the time they are done with me. Thread drift again

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    I don't know what you mean by this but I get sick and tired of hearing this broad swipe at public education. Come take my class. My kids have to work and they will know the subject material by the time they are done with me. Thread drift again
    What grade and subject?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    So to save football from dying off from the bottom there needs to be a playoff????? Thats the magic wand????
    I think it would help yes......as u have pointed out many times, the g5 have nothing to play for but our bowls Is it the end all be all....nope. But the fanbase wants it.

But your really not addressing my main point r u. To refresh it was if the g5 ever figures out a real fcs like playoff, ndsu better figure out how to move up cuz if they don't su FB will suck