Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whatsa Zag?

Default Whatsa Zag?

And here I thought they were the Bulldogs, which is a pretty good nickname. You could even urbanize the name and call them Da Dawgz, I suppose. IMO, "The Zag Pound" just doesn't have a good vibe to it. Maybe they don't like the idea of being short-legged ugly pugs with no personality.

Go Bison!!!

Default Re: Whatsa Zag?

I've never understood that. I think someone just all of a sudden decided to call them Zags one time and it stuck. Pretty sad when you would rather be that then your actual nickname. Maybe we should call ourselves the N-Daks.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    I've never understood that. I think someone just all of a sudden decided to call them Zags one time and it stuck. Pretty sad when you would rather be that then your actual nickname. Maybe we should call ourselves the N-Daks.
    UN_ will be the Nodaks...Or, as they will always be known by their opponents, the Nodiks.
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

According to Wikipedia, this is a Zag:

Former NDSU intramural athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by aces1180 View Post
    Hey Washington is actually ahead of the curve. In our medieval state it's a friggin misdemeanor for a dime bag of weed... your "zags" would then qualify as drug paraphernalia and you now have 2 misdemeanors. Might as well outlaw dancing too.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Hey Washington is actually ahead of the curve. In our medieval state it's a friggin misdemeanor for a dime bag of weed... your "zags" would then qualify as drug paraphernalia and you now have 2 misdemeanors. Might as well outlaw dancing too.
    On the Jack Michaels Show yesterday, he was talking about how weird it was seeing people lighting up bowls in the open without any worry.

Quote Originally Posted by aces1180 View Post
    On the Jack Michaels Show yesterday, he was talking about how weird it was seeing people lighting up bowls in the open without any worry.
    Probably a bit of a culture shock but that's the way it should be... free country.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

This thread is hilarious!

Somewhere around '97 Gonzaga's AD Mike Roth initiated a number of changes to the brand and its marketing. One of these changes was the introduction of "Zags" as an unofficial but broadly used moniker. It was a differentiating effort, I think, given the number of Bulldog teams out there.

And the nickname certainly has its detractors in the fanbase. Many purists just don't like it. Myself, I kind of like the uniqueness. Shrug.

As for legalization, it's been a nice step forward for our state (not to mention a money-maker). If you think seeing someone light up without worry is unusual, try shopping in a retail store with a menu board, friendly staff and chill customers. I'm still not used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    This thread is hilarious!

Somewhere around '97 Gonzaga's AD Mike Roth initiated a number of changes to the brand and its marketing. One of these changes was the introduction of "Zags" as an unofficial but broadly used moniker. It was a differentiating effort, I think, given the number of Bulldog teams out there.

And the nickname certainly has its detractors in the fanbase. Many purists just don't like it. Myself, I kind of like the uniqueness. Shrug.

As for legalization, it's been a nice step forward for our state (not to mention a money-maker). If you think seeing someone light up without worry is unusual, try shopping in a retail store with a menu board, friendly staff and chill customers. I'm still not used to it.
    If you hang around here enough, or read some previous threads; it does get pretty rediculious around here. But we like to be right on the border of relivence and absurd.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN