Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Get Hockey to NDSU thread

Default Re: Get Hockey to NDSU thread

Quote Originally Posted by pucknut9 View Post
    I despise figure skating and soccer. Hockey is far from either. Carry on.
    Skates, goalies, greater international interest... Close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Skates, goalies, greater international interest... Close enough.
    To each their own.

Couldn't NDSU do hockey and women's equestrian or tennis or some other odd sport to balance schollies?

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    Some of you guys are looking at this wrong. I swear the anti-hockey sentiment for some of you is there just because that school up north has it. Fielding a successful hockey program and being great in football and basketball are not mutually exclusive. I also believe that men's hockey would be competitively and financially successful at NDSU. But I also believe it would be successful at those same levels at either USD or SDSU, whichever one goes first, if they played their home games in Sioux Falls. The downfall to adding ANY men's program is Title 9. In order to start up a program like men's hockey it would need to be offset by adding a women's sport. The sport cited most often is women's hockey, but why? Why not field a women's lacrosse program instead. It would be much cheaper than women's hockey and is growing at a much faster rate than a sport like women's field hockey.

The opportunities are there for the expansion of college hockey. The big hurdle of having a conference to play in is not there as the WCHA is available and is in the region.
    If you are a top 20 athletic department in the country and have money/donors willing to throw money at a sport, sure. The Dakota schools don't have that kind of cash sitting around.
    College of Business Alumnus

Hockey and Basketball are great winter sports. And of course one FB game in Jan. is great, you all know that. Come to UND and watch a hockey game, you may be a little surprised? We're hoping we get to come to Fargo again like we did two years ago in the regional.

Quote Originally Posted by barnwintersportsengelstad View Post
    Hockey and Basketball are great winter sports. And of course one FB game in Jan. is great, you all know that. Come to UND and watch a hockey game, you may be a little surprised? We're hoping we get to come to Fargo again like we did two years ago in the regional.
    I've been to few UND hockey games. (youth hockey event) Can't argue it's pretty electric.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by barnwintersportsengelstad View Post

S T F U signed ALL OF US
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I've been to few UND hockey games. (youth hockey event) Can't argue it's pretty electric.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    So.....with the recent announcement that the NAIA will be sponsoring hockey again, does it change the face of ACHA club hockey? 8-9 schools that are currently NAIA are taking their club teams and moving them to NAIA. More are slated to do so next year. This whole movement might give schools like Minot State, Iowa State, and NDSU a reason to dip their toe into cost containment hockey. I am not sure of the legality of NCAA schools putting one sport in NAIA but there is definetly plenty of precedent for it. As long as they were committed to non scholarship/sorta kind club Hockey it could be a blast. Outside of coaching cost, most of the program's money is self funded through student fees correct? I am sure a Hockey booster club could be put together to help raise extra funds to compete in the NAIA.

Positives.....

A) Don't need scholarships
    B) Don't need FCOA
    C) Don't need new facilities

Negatives....

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    So.....with the recent announcement that the NAIA will be sponsoring hockey again, does it change the face of ACHA club hockey? 8-9 schools that are currently NAIA are taking their club teams and moving them to NAIA. More are slated to do so next year. This whole movement might give schools like Minot State, Iowa State, and NDSU a reason to dip their toe into cost containment hockey. I am not sure of the legality of NCAA schools putting one sport in NAIA but there is definetly plenty of precedent for it. As long as they were committed to non scholarship/sorta kind club Hockey it could be a blast. Outside of coaching cost, most of the program's money is self funded through student fees correct? I am sure a Hockey booster club could be put together to help raise extra funds to compete in the NAIA.

Positives.....

A) Don't need scholarships
    B) Don't need FCOA
    C) Don't need new facilities

Negatives....
    Schools like NDSU would not play in an NAIA hockey division. The new NAIA league will be a new division formed within the ACHA. They basically hope that more NAIA schools add club hockey so that they can eventually bring it into the NAIA governing body. I somewhat doubt that the level of competition in this league will be any better than ACHA D1.

https://www.aqsaints.com/article/2360.php

The ACHA has announced that a division for its NAIA member institutions has been created and will begin competition next season. Six member institutions of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) will form an NAIA division within the America Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA), beginning the 2017-18 season.

The charter members of the ACHA's NAIA Division are Aquinas College, Indiana Institute of Technology, Lawrence Technological University, Life University, Lindenwood University-Belleville and Waldorf University.
    ACHA Executive Director Mike Walley led the effort to create a new division for the growing number of varsity programs at NAIA institutions, with the NAIA Hockey Coaches Association working closely with ACHA leadership to create the new division that will host the NAIA varsity programs. The ACHA will continue to serve as the governing body and support the programs as the sport continues to grow at the NAIA level.
    Said Aquinas College athletic director Nick Davidson, "We appreciate the ACHA working with our conference and other NAIA schools to develop a NAIA Division. Our hope is that other NAIA schools will continue to add hockey and move in the direction of creating hockey as a Championship Sport in the NAIA. This is a start of a movement in that direction."
    Aquinas College's men's hockey team currently competes in the ACHA as part of the Michigan Collegiate Hockey Conference (MCHC). Competition in the new division will begin October 2017.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Watching Canisius vs Minnesota tonight.

It’s a good game, kinda wish we sponsored hockey at D1 level.