Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Get Hockey to NDSU thread

Default Re: Get Hockey to NDSU thread

Quote Originally Posted by SC_TX View Post
    anyone else find the UND people's insistence on saying "Sioux" to be terribly pathetic? I mean can they not get over losing to the NCAA in their fight for the name?
    We were watching the game at Ceasers last night and a guy started cheering for the sioux right behind us. When we told him that he had a funny way of pronouncing hawks he got pissy and started to go on about how unfair it was that they had to change it and blah blah blah same old story. He didn't like it at all when we told him that if they weren't arrogant assholes about it for 40 years they probably could've kept the name.

He didn't think we had any idea what we were talking about until he figured out that everyone he was lecturing on it went to NDSU then all he could talk about was the how the Ducks are going to destroy us in a few years because he lives there now.
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

KC Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Hockey is so great and it brings in so much money...oh, we have to cut baseball and men's golf cuz we don't have the money.

Mankato is applying to join the NCHC. We could probably get into the WCHA on the cheap and be competitive in that league immediately.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    Mankato is applying to join the NCHC. We could probably get into the WCHA on the cheap and be competitive in that league immediately.
    Cheap is a relative term.

I used to want hockey at NDSU. But now I'd rather see that money invested into what is already here. FCOA has cemented my opinion there.

There's nothing cheap about hockey. It's a money pit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    There's nothing cheap about hockey. It's a money pit.
    I admit...part of it is pride. I don't like UND having something we don't. But I don't think it's a money pit if we're playing in the WCHA. Half the teams are a bus-ride away. I think men's hockey would sell out Scheels every weekend. That would pay for the women's team, which unfortunately would be a drain. But it would be covered.

In the meantime, I'll keep cheering for one of my alma maters...the U of M. Or for one of my former employers...MSU Mankato. But I'd much rather cheer for a home team. And I'll never cheer for UND.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

I admit...part of it is pride. I don't like UND having something we don't. But I don't think it's a money pit if we're playing in the WCHA. Half the teams are a bus-ride away. I think men's hockey would sell out Scheels every weekend. That would pay for the women's team, which unfortunately would be a drain. But it would be covered.

In the meantime, I'll keep cheering for one of my alma maters...the U of M. Or for one of my former employers...MSU Mankato. But I'd much rather cheer for a home team. And I'll never cheer for UND.
    I like hockey. I grew up in a hockey town. What I don't want is what un_ has when it comes to that. The overhead on fielding two hockey teams where you are guaranteed one will always be seriously in the red is phenomenal. un_ has one of the best revenue producing men's hockey programs in the nation and they are cutting sports. Most schools lose money because of hockey. I get that Fargo/Moorhead has the infrastructure to support college hockey, but let it be MSUM. The USHL is a nice level without all the headaches of a college putting a team out there, the scholarship commitment, and a whole different level of eligibility concerns to be competitive.

Football and Men's BB collectively can be much larger revenue producers. Women's BB can minimize the financial drain by moving in the right direction. Wrestling ebbs and flows financially, but has a lot of booster support. The other sports are what they are and will be with or without hockey. Hockey just adds economic pressure to an athletic department it doesn't need for the sake another school has it. The more I think about it the more I am convinced it creates another anchor somewhere in the athletic department rather than another financial engine.

Lastly, I don't think hockey brings any more real support from the community than continuing to build the current programs. I would rather see NDSU position itself to be in the second tier of football and build basketball as a legitimate mid-major competitive program every year than add another sport. Those things add to the core foundation NDSU is building as a national brand way better than a hockey program would.

These are just my opinions. A couple of years ago I was in favor of a hockey program but like I said, the more I think about it, the less sense it makes. We just need to keep trying to do the things we do better, not start doing more things.

Why not lacrosse ? We got a really good club team, infractacture already in place and more and more schools are adding west of Mississippi with Utah adding this week. Fastest growing sport in US and and sport UND doesn't have..

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by scbison91 View Post
    Why not lacrosse ? We got a really good club team, infractacture already in place and more and more schools are adding west of Mississippi with Utah adding this week. Fastest growing sport in US and and sport UND doesn't have..
    I feel like lacrosse is the new soccer. I always hear how it is growing and yada yada but I've been hearing that for 10 years and I just haven't seen it. I don't seeing it happen without a prominent major league. Hell, MLS is 10x bigger than major league lacrosse and it is still hardly a blip on the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    I feel like lacrosse is the new soccer. I always hear how it is growing and yada yada but I've been hearing that for 10 years and I just haven't seen it. I don't seeing it happen without a prominent major league. Hell, MLS is 10x bigger than major league lacrosse and it is still hardly a blip on the radar.
    Lacrosse is growing at my school...and it seems to be chipping away at the numbers of kids in other sports.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club