Default Re: Get Hockey to NDSU thread

Quote Originally Posted by bajadanny View Post
    WCHA
    Mankato # 1

Michigan Tech # 5

Bowling Green # 9

Division 2 ??????

I don't think you know much about hockey
    The Anti-Hockey crowd doesnt know anything except I don't like hockey and facts mean nothing.

Let me give you my perspective. I grew up playing BBall, watched the NBA/College. Followed it religiously! My son started playing hockey nine years ago. I knew NOTHING about hockey. Now learning the game and nuances of the game I don't watch BBall except NDSU at all. Basketball now bores me. Hockey is so much more exciting to watch live or on TV. No comparison between the two.

Hockey is growing regionally, more kids can participate with the increased ice and also with increased High Schools being added. If your kid wants a chance to play varsity sports, he/she will have a much greater opportunity to play hockey than basketball.

The bigger the youth participation, the more the demand will be for a team in the future. Currently most kids that play support UND hockey. most of what you see at a hockey rink is UND hats/jerseys ect... My son does not support UND we have rules in my house

Someone mentioned earlier about fighting. I have watched roughly 80-90 NHL games this year and have seen one small fight. The game has changed. That stuff is almost entirely out of the game.

I respect and understand the hockey is dumb/stupid sport crowd. It used to be me. You can't respect the game if you truly don't understand how skillful you have to be to play it.

Last thing, I don't think now is the time for a NDSU hockey team but I do think it will be sometime in the near future. It all comes down to where you would find the money. Which makes it a difficult proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    The Anti-Hockey crowd doesnt know anything except I don't like hockey and facts mean nothing.

Let me give you my perspective. I grew up playing BBall, watched the NBA/College. Followed it religiously! My son started playing hockey nine years ago. I knew NOTHING about hockey. Now learning the game and nuances of the game I don't watch BBall except NDSU at all. Basketball now bores me. Hockey is so much more exciting to watch live or on TV. No comparison between the two.

Hockey is growing regionally, more kids can participate with the increased ice and also with increased High Schools being added. If your kid wants a chance to play varsity sports, he/she will have a much greater opportunity to play hockey than basketball.

The bigger the youth participation, the more the demand will be for a team in the future. Currently most kids that play support UND hockey. most of what you see at a hockey rink is UND hats/jerseys ect... My son does not support UND we have rules in my house

Someone mentioned earlier about fighting. I have watched roughly 80-90 NHL games this year and have seen one small fight. The game has changed. That stuff is almost entirely out of the game.

I respect and understand the hockey is dumb/stupid sport crowd. It used to be me. You can't respect the game if you truly don't understand how skillful you have to be to play it.

Last thing, I don't think now is the time for a NDSU hockey team but I do think it will be sometime in the near future. It all comes down to where you would find the money. Which makes it a difficult proposition.
    I can sit and watch a game of puck. I'd rather enjoy a game of basketball all day. The fighting yeah, I get what you are saying, less fighting is good. Its actually not the fighting that bugs me. It's all the chippy garbage between whistles that really irritates me.

If NDSU came into some money...I'd rather they pump it into basketball and FBS. Those two sports provide much more with one great season(run to a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 in ball, New Years Bowl Game in fbs) than decades of puck dominance.
    College of Business Alumnus

I like hockey. I grew up in Roseau but moved there when I was just a little too old to start playing. I still follow the kids that come out of there when they play at the college level. The kids now are kids of those I went to school with, so there is as much meaning as ever to me. That being said, I could really care less if NDSU ever has a D1 hockey team. There are enough D1 programs in the region where F/M area hockey will be as fruitful as if there was a Bison D1 squad. I would like NDSU to keep building the programs it has and let other schools worry about hockey.

BisonFan02 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I like hockey.....NHL hockey. Collegiate hockey is a complete and utter waste of money. Fund the men's and women's bball teams to a higher mid major level first....and LONG before starting up a hockey program. That would have a MUCH better impact on the overall athletic department.

Basketball drives the bus....followed by football (FBS football in particular).

Man I agree 100% hockey is a great game when you have someone from the family playing it is a great game to watch (my grandkid is a goalie) WHEW

Man I agree 100% hockey is a great game when you have someone from the family playing it is a great game to watch (my grandkid is a goalie) WHEW

Quote Originally Posted by BisonFan02 View Post
    I like hockey.....NHL hockey. Collegiate hockey is a complete and utter waste of money. Fund the men's and women's bball teams to a higher mid major level first....and LONG before starting up a hockey program. That would have a MUCH better impact on the overall athletic department.

Basketball drives the bus....followed by football (FBS football in particular).
    This^^^^^^^^

Ndsu should start hockey

BisonFan02 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Ndsu should start hockey
    They have hockey. Don't need anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Ndsu should start hockey
    NDSU should start slow pitch men's softball. They could wreck the Wed. Upper/Classic league.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.