Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Get Hockey to NDSU thread

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Get Hockey to NDSU thread

Quote Originally Posted by Buthockey View Post
    Next to the MSP area, Fargo is arguably smack dab right in the middle of the best youth hockey landscape in the US eh. It would not take long at all to be successful eh.
    There are also 9 division 1 hockey schools located within a 6 hour drive of Fargo. There's lots of talent to recruit but lots of people recruiting. Those 9 schools also all have or will have dedicated arena's in which they are the major tenant. NDSU would need significant amounts of money in order to compete. Seems like it would be a much easier task to improve basketball than sinking money into hockey. I love the sport of hockey but to me it doesn't make much sense at NDSU unless there is a significant private money stream that is willing to get it off the ground like Penn State had.

Omaha
    UND
    Augustana
    Bemidji
    UMD
    SCSU
    Mankato
    UofM
    St. Thomas

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    There are also 9 division 1 hockey schools located within a 6 hour drive of Fargo. There's lots of talent to recruit but lots of people recruiting. Those 9 schools also all have or will have dedicated arena's in which they are the major tenant. NDSU would need significant amounts of money in order to compete. Seems like it would be a much easier task to improve basketball than sinking money into hockey. I love the sport of hockey but to me it doesn't make much sense at NDSU unless there is a significant private money stream that is willing to get it off the ground like Penn State had.

Omaha
    UND
    Augustana
    Bemidji
    UMD
    SCSU
    Mankato
    UofM
    St. Thomas
    All true except for the fact that NDSU has no ambitions in basketball to be anything other than a low major. Winning the Summit league tournament championship game is our super bowl. When football moves to FBS we will have zero sports on campus capable of winning a team national championship. ZERO, and considering our history, that sucks and is unacceptable. I'm not saying we will be the next great thing at Hockey, but if funded right, we would occasionally be in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    All true except for the fact that NDSU has no ambitions in basketball to be anything other than a low major. Winning the Summit league tournament championship game is our super bowl. When football moves to FBS we will have zero sports on campus capable of winning a team national championship. ZERO, and considering our history, that sucks and is unacceptable. I'm not saying we will be the next great thing at Hockey, but if funded right, we would occasionally be in the mix.
    I completely believe that there is money to be raised for funding the basketball programs at a higher level but the University and the Ath. Dept. need to be the ones selling it and pushing for it in order for it to happen. This would be the same for an NDSU Hockey program. What makes the University and the Ath. Dept. push to build a competitive hockey program when they haven't shown that they are interested in pushing to build a competitive basketball program? I guess I could hear that there is a better chance for a national championship in hockey just based on the quantity of teams but it is also a much more costly sport to fund. There's also the fact that a national championship in hockey garners about the same amount of University publicity as winning a game in the NCAA basketball tournament.

I completely believe that there is money to be raised for funding the basketball programs at a higher level but the University and the Ath. Dept. need to be the ones selling it and pushing for it in order for it to happen. This would be the same for an NDSU Hockey program. What makes the University and the Ath. Dept. push to build a competitive hockey program when they haven't shown that they are interested in pushing to build a competitive basketball program? I guess I could hear that there is a better chance for a national championship in hockey just based on the quantity of teams but it is also a much more costly sport to fund. There's also the fact that a national championship in hockey garners about the same amount of University publicity as winning a game in the NCAA basketball tournament.
    Less, considerably less.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Less, considerably less.
    Probably nationally but in the upper Midwest there are a lot of eyes on college hockey and I think it does bring exposure regionally which is probably important for a school like NDSU.

Probably nationally but in the upper Midwest there are a lot of eyes on college hockey and I think it does bring exposure regionally which is probably important for a school like NDSU.
    I would agree I think. NDSU is competing for students in ND and MN. That's the bulk of it. I'm sorry but we are never going ti be a Big Ten school who pulls from New England like those schools do.

NDSU could make a final four in basketball and the growth would probs be limited to ND and MN. And we aren't making a final four. With NIL and all, I am on board with exploring hockey. Fargo would support it probs.
    College of Business Alumnus

El chapo has informed me that hockey is stupid, niche, and boring. Fortunately, hockey is prominent in this part of the country.
    College of Business Alumnus

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Of course it's not an 'either or' choice, but in regards of timeliness, there's more ground to be lost to our competition by not fast tracking women's wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    El chapo has informed me that hockey is stupid, niche, and boring. Fortunately, hockey is prominent in this part of the country.
    Probably because he could never play the sport. Gotta be kind of tough