Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Available teams to replace Western Carolina

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Default Re: Available teams to replace Western Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUKurt View Post
    A couple of things - Illinois State may be without Marshaun Coprich for the game (I know he was reinstated, but there has to be a suspension coming). If he is, that will make the change of an upset by Illinois State harder.

Also, lets say Illinois State does pull the upset and beat Iowa. I would imagine Iowa would then have a pretty bad year, likely missing a bowl game. If that were to happen I would have to believe that Iowa would finally pull the trigger and fire Kirk Ferenz. That would be a hard pill for them to swallow as he has around $10 million left on his contract.

Do you think Iowa would want to pay Ferenz, pay a new coach, pay NDSU NOT to play them and then also pay a new opponent near $1 million? I sure don't.

That's why I am confident the game will stay on.
    I agree, I don't think Iowa would want to do all those things in your scenario...................and yet................the devil's advocate in me could still envision it happening.

Let's say Ill. St does happen to beat Iowa and Ferenz is essentially a "dead man walking" for the rest of the season. Iowa my want to knock NDSU off the schedule BEFORE Ferenz is fired (probably at seasons end) or at least before a new guy is hired, because no matter how anyone tries to spin it (especially if NDSU ends up winning a 5th straight), that makes the new guy look like chicken shit! Probably not the type of visual they want for a new regime.

So, while I can still imagine THAT scenario playing out (and it would not shock me), I also still have trouble imagining Barta or Taylor dropping NDSU (but also wouldn't be shocked if they do).

Clear as mud?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUKurt View Post
    A couple of things - Illinois State may be without Marshaun Coprich for the game (I know he was reinstated, but there has to be a suspension coming). If he is, that will make the change of an upset by Illinois State harder.

Also, lets say Illinois State does pull the upset and beat Iowa. I would imagine Iowa would then have a pretty bad year, likely missing a bowl game. If that were to happen I would have to believe that Iowa would finally pull the trigger and fire Kirk Ferenz. That would be a hard pill for them to swallow as he has around $10 million left on his contract.

Do you think Iowa would want to pay Ferenz, pay a new coach, pay NDSU NOT to play them and then also pay a new opponent near $1 million? I sure don't.

That's why I am confident the game will stay on.
    All good logic. And I will also add to your reasons
    - Iowa has declining ticket sale concerns, so NDSU on the schedule should add attendance, good for the bottom line for Iowa.
    - but declining ticket sales can also be a indication (source) of pressure.....

Iowa football faces largest ticket-sales decline in last 10 years
    Overall, the UI's target numbers, according to associate athletic director for external relations Rick Klatt, are between 35,000 and 37,000 for the general public.....

.....HAWK CENTRAL
    Iowa hopes new ticket discounts will help fill Kinnick

Even if that pans out, it would still mark a drop of 3,000 to 5,000 public season tickets from 2014 – the largest year-over-year decline in the last 10 years. Iowa lost 1,887 season ticketholders following a bowl-less 6-6 record in 2007, according to data provided by the university.....

.....Capacity for Kinnick Stadium is 70,585. Iowa has had one sellout (Iowa State last year) in the last two seasons after having sold out the entire season as recently as 2011.....
    http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/spo...arta/29167897/

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    I agree, I don't think Iowa would want to do all those things in your scenario...................and yet................the devil's advocate in me could still envision it happening.

Let's say Ill. St does happen to beat Iowa and Ferenz is essentially a "dead man walking" for the rest of the season. Iowa my want to knock NDSU off the schedule BEFORE Ferenz is fired (probably at seasons end) or at least before a new guy is hired, because no matter how anyone tries to spin it (especially if NDSU ends up winning a 5th straight), that makes the new guy look like chicken shit! Probably not the type of visual they want for a new regime.

So, while I can still imagine THAT scenario playing out (and it would not shock me), I also still have trouble imagining Barta or Taylor dropping NDSU (but also wouldn't be shocked if they do).

Clear as mud?
    Yes...that scenario is something that has played out in my mind, especially if Wyoming has a good season. Why Wyoming? If Ferenz was actually fired you know that Craig Bohl would be on their short list of replacements. Would Barta & Taylor want to make him go against his old school?

One other tidbit - Iowa could try to get out out of the game by citing the Big Ten policy on FCS teams. (They would lose as the Big Ten said existing contracts are grandfathered in). Of course, I wonder is Iowa would be allowed to move the game to a later year. That would be interesting for all parties involved.

Bump, Hope we are getting close to finding a replacement for this game.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

As funny as everything above looks now who seriously figured the Hawkeyes to be 12-0 (barring a NB comeback) and WY with 1 win. I now guarantee A) Iowa won't fire Ferenz B) no one P5 is hiring Bohl and C) Iowa is not afraid to play NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    As funny as everything above looks now who seriously figured the Hawkeyes to be 12-0 (barring a NB comeback) and WY with 1 win. I now guarantee A) Iowa won't fire Ferenz B) no one P5 is hiring Bohl and C) Iowa is not afraid to play NDSU
    C.......that is exactly how NDSU players, coaches and fans like it. Iowa will be overly cocky regardless of how much they tell them to treat NDSU like a FBS game.

Loved how Ferentz tried his Bo Pelini impersonation in the 2nd qt. throwing the headset will get ya every time.