Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Bison in the CFL

Default Re: Bison in the CFL

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Ahh, but he said a score of 1-0 is impossible in football, which is correct. In your scenario, the score would be 6-1.
    No, it would be 7-0. The offensive team is getting the one point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    No, it would be 7-0. The offensive team is getting the one point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry, I misread that. Knew I shouldn't have tried posting at 2:40am.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    It is absolutely possible to score only one point (not from a PAT). This is called "try safety" which has only happened twice in college football.
    Team A lines up to kick a PAT.
    Team B blocks the kick and the ball stays out of the endzone.
    Team B picks up the football, runs backwards (or laterals to a teammate) and gets tackled by Team A in the endzone.
    Team A gets 1 point for a "try safety".

Another, little-known way of scoring can occur only on a try attempt and is known as a one-point safety. This happens when the play normally would result in a safety against the defense. For example, if the team that is attempting the try fumbles the ball and a defensive player bats the ball through the defense's end zone and out of bounds, the offensive team would be awarded a one-point safety. Another example would be a defensive player intercepting a pass on a two-point conversion attempt, then running into his own end zone and being tackled. One-point safeties are extremely rare, and some leagues do not even allow them.
    Nonetheless, I never knew this, wow...I learned something new today.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post
    Nonetheless, I never knew this, wow...I learned something new today.
    Kansas State fell victim to the 1-Point Safety the game before the fell victim to the Bison.

Hail the BISON!!!

Also, no need to feel confused. Just listen to the commentators when the 1-Point Safety happened in a Texas A&M - Texas game.

Hail the BISON!!!

So basically the kicking team is being rewarded the one point they would of had had they made the kick? I don't agree with this...no team should be rewarded anything for having a kick blocked. I would rather have a silly "one point" rule like kicking the football through the uprights on kickoffs or whatever...but this rule in place now is even sillier to me.

So basically the kicking team is being rewarded the one point they would of had had they made the kick? I don't agree with this...no team should be rewarded anything for having a kick blocked. I would rather have a silly "one point" rule like kicking the football through the uprights on kickoffs or whatever...but this rule in place now is even sillier to me.
    Or are they punishing the defending team for being stupid by running backwards into the endzone on a muffed kick?
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Or are they punishing the defending team for being stupid by running backwards into the endzone on a muffed kick?
    My point is it shouldn't matter what the defending team does with the ball unless they return it and score...otherwise it should be a dead ball after the defending team is done with it, even if it means they run backwards 50 yards and decide to get tackled...the DEFENSE should be rewarded with a chance to return it and that's it, done, finished, end, complete, concluded, nada else, poop, fart, shit...

My point is it shouldn't matter what the defending team does with the ball unless they return it and score...otherwise it should be a dead ball after the defending team is done with it, even if it means they run backwards 50 yards and decide to get tackled...the DEFENSE should be rewarded with a chance to return it and that's it, done, finished, end, complete, concluded, nada else, poop, fart, shit...

Disagree, know what you're saying though. In a way they succeeded in defending the other team from advancing the ball and tackled them in the end zone.

However, you can't retreat to your own endzone and be tackled without committing a safety. Luckily, it only counts for one instead of two. I don't know how long this rule has been around, but it is old enough for coaches and players to know that they must stay out of their own endzone when they possess the ball.

To me, not punishing the defending team is similar in collegiate wrestling where a wrestler in the top position doesn't get penalized for being on held on his back as long he is holding on the bottom wrestler's leg. In fact, he gets awarded for riding time. The bottom guy who is holding the top guy in a scoring position gets screwed. Here's an example:

Hail the BISON!!!