Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Start for Bison in 2015

Default Great Start for Bison in 2015

Impressive showing by Bison track and field so far in 2015. Ryun deserves a lot of credit for bringing in the women athletes, and Carlson and fitzke deserve a lot of credit for getting the distance runners up to the next level. Man-oh-man, are they getting it done. Stratioti apparently is red-shirting, other wise we would likely be seeing some serious assaults on the 800m, to accompany Teschuk and Van Beek (McClellen)'s stunning miles and 5000m races. Getting great performances by both men and women in the throwing events. J.Begin is showing early season signs of some promising 400m IH performances as the season goes on.

Lot going on with the other athletes too - I am likely forgetting some others that deserve attention. NDSU is living up to its reputation of developing athletes and getting performances from them that are beyond what people imagined when they came in as freshman.

I am impressed ... and it is fun to see.

Default Re: Great Start for Bison in 2015

Just saw Teschuk's 3000m. Great time, an amazing time, and she had a strong kick at the end suggesting still some gas in the tank at the end.

Curious, I looked at U of MN school indoor Top 10 all time. Here is the link:
    http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...oor_Top_10.pdf

NDSU's women have bested the U of MN women in several events: 400m, wd be very close 2nd in 800m , mile, 3000m, wd be 2nd in 5000m, 4x400m.

I know very little about track but these are some very impressive results.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Would T&F benefit any if it were in another conference?

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Would T&F benefit any if it were in another conference?
    I know so little about TF I don't know. I don't even understand how they quality for the national tournament. Is it pure numbers or tied to conferences numbers?

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I know so little about TF I don't know. I don't even understand how they quality for the national tournament. Is it pure numbers or tied to conferences numbers?
    Me either, I know I keep asking how many All Americans we had last year an no one seems to know.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Me either, I know I keep asking how many All Americans we had last year an no one seems to know.
    5 finishes, 6 athletes; all female. The 4x400 relay team made it twice(indoor and outdoor) with slightly different members, and two of the relay team earned AA honors in other events.

2nd team AA
    (I)4x400m relay: Stratioti, Milbrath, Heinze & Tingelstad
    (O)4x400m relay: Stratioti, Milbrath, Goodman & Tingelstad
    (O)100m hurdles: John

HM AA
    (O)200m dash: Goodman
    (O)800m: Stratioti

On the men's side, it looked like Lillejord would have had a chance to defend his 2012-13 1st team AA status in the heptathlon at the indoor nationals, but he had to withdraw due to injury a week before the meet.

Thanks.

Just trying to judge if our team is great because of the conference , how they nationally compare etc.

From the far outside looking in, it seems we keep crushing the conference competition I just wonder if we should be looking to upgrade the competition????

This is intended mainly for MAKBison and HerdBot.

For a Bison today to make All-American, he or she must do well at the NCAA Division I National Track meet. There is no FCS or FBS, it is just Division I -- all Division I schools.

It is hard to find information on how the national meet works - the NCAA.com website, for example, does not have any information (that I could find) explaining how it works - how people get in, how they advance, what constitutes All-American status. But here is what I recall - others who know more, please fix my mistakes.

For the outdoor NCAA National Outdoor meet, there are no qualifying times. One instead qualifies for the West Regional meet by being one of the top 48 in the Western Region (top 24 in relays). One qualifies for the East Regional meet by being one of the top 48 in the East Region. NDSU is in the West Region - this includes schools like Northern Arizona, Weber State, and Montana State, as well as schools like USC, Oregon, Texas, and other track and field powerhouses. The athletes who make it into the East and West regionals are not announced by the NCAA until about a week or so before the meet starts - to allow for late season performances. I think the cutoff is Sunday midnight about 10 days before the regionals begin on a Wednesday.

The West Regional meet then goes through one or two rounds (depending upon the event) to determine the top 16 in the region - I think it is 16 - in each event, and the top 8 in each relay event. This occurs on one long weekend of competition (a Wednesday through Saturday). The East Region does the same thing. Then two weeks later, the top performers from the West join the top performers from the East for the final rounds of competition. The final rounds last a few days (Wednesday through Saturday). The top 8 make First Team All-American. The others, who made it to the 2nd weekend of competition, are Second Team All-Americans.

The NCAA National Div. I Track and Field Meet than consists of two weekends of competition - the West Regional and the East Regional meets determining the top people in their regions, and then two weeks later the best of the regions compete to determine champions, All-Americans, and so on.

As for indoor ... not as well versed on it ... I think it is a single long weekend (Wed through Sat), and fewer athletes make it - perhaps top 16 in each event, and top 8 in each relay.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 04-06-2015 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    This is intended mainly for MAKBison and HerdBot.

For a Bison today to make All-American, he or she must do well at the NCAA Division I National Track meet. There is no FCS or FBS, it is just Division I -- all Division I schools.

It is hard to find information on how the national meet works - the NCAA.com website, for example, does not have any information (that I could find) explaining how it works - how people get in, how they advance, what constitutes All-American status. But here is what I recall - others who know more, please fix my mistakes.

For the outdoor National meet, there are no qualifying times. One instead qualifies for the West Regional meet by being one of the top 48 in the Western Region (top 24 in relays). One qualifies for the East Regional meet by being one of the top 48 in the East Regional meet. NDSU is in the West Regional meet - this includes schools like Northern Arizona, Weber State, and Montana State, as well as schools like USC, Oregon, Texas, and other track and field powerhouses. The athletes who make it into the East and West regionals are not announced by the NCAA until about a week or so before the meet starts - to allow for late season performances. I think the cutoff is Sunday midnight about 10 days before the regionals begin on a Wednesday.

The West and East Regional meets then go through two rounds to determine the top 16 - I think it is 16 - in each event, and the top 8 in each relay event. This occurs on one long weekend of competition (a Wednesday through Saturday). Then two weeks later those who qualified from the West and East regionals meet for the 2nd half of the National meet, which is also a Wednesday through Saturday track and field meet. The top 8 make First Team All-American. The others, who made it to the 2nd weekend of competition, are Second Team All-Americans.

As for indoor ... not as well versed on it ... I think it is a single long weekend (Wed through Sat), and fewer athletes make it - perhaps top 16 in each event, and top 8 in each relay.
    Thanks....so how do you qualify for the Regional Meet? Can a time qualify one for AA status? Would it benefit SU if we were in a different conference----I know we are D1 and there are no FCS equivalent in other D1 sports. My question/rational is this.....we seem to dominate the summit; thus, would it be better if we were in another conference (competition, recruiting wise, etc)?