Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 New Rules Draft

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default 2015 New Rules Draft

These are not the final changes or fully approved, but this was the result of the rules committee meeting this year. There will still be some vetting and discussion, and the rules editor has the ability to made "editorial" changes as well. Some of these are also rule changes.

2015 FOOTBALL RULES CHANGES--DRAFT

1. Eighth Official allowed (11-2-1). Nany conferences were already doing this. The MAC is expected to add it this year. I eventually expect to see it in the MVFC, but it's at least a couple years away.

2. Ineligible downfield: (7-3-10) Illegal beyond one yard rather than three yards for a player not engaged with an opponent. It is not a foul if the player engages an opponent within one yard and does not maintain the contact more than three yards (i.e., this change does not conflict with 7-3-8-b-1) This is a pretty big change as it is very common or linemen to drift a little downfield. Now they will be given very little leeway unless they are engaged. Expect to see more ineligible receiver downfield fouls early in the season as linemen get used to this.

3. UNS for pulling/pushing player off the pile: (9-2-1-b)—add new item to list of automatics. Curious to hear more about this. If someone gets excessive they were already guilty of a foul. Not sure if they want us to get really technical on this. Message to players - once there is a pile, stay away!

4. Helmet off defensive player: (3-3-9) Always set the play clock at 40 seconds, even when there is a 10-second runoff. This makes it consistent with the clock being reset to 40 after a defensive injury

5. Game administration Interference: (9-2-5) Add official sideline warning before any foul is called. We've come full circle. The progression used to be warn, 4 yard, 15 yard. Then it became 5, 5, 15 with no warning. Last year they told us to give verbal warning without a flag. Now they want us to flag/warn. Not sure if the progression after that will be 5/15 or 5/5/15.

6. Illegal Equipment: (1-4-8) To correct illegal equipment, a player will sent to sideline for one play, rather than charging a team timeout. The team may keep the player in the game by taking a time out to fix the equipment. Rarely was a team charged with a time out, but I see this being used more often. The biggest issues IMO are incorrect towel colors (silly rule...must be white) and exposed back pads.

7. On-side kick: (12-3-4) Add as a reviewable play: blocking by the kicking team before they are eligible to touch the ball on an onside kick. We keep moving closer and closer to reviewing all fouls. I'm not a fan of that, but it will happen.

8. Pre-game warm-ups: (Rule 3, new article) Teams may have access to the field for up to 22 minutes before the opening kickoff. This may be altered by written mutual agreement of the teams before the game. Teams usually leave by then anyway so not sure why they had to codify this.

9. Timeout request: (12-3-5) Calling of a team timeout is reviewable throughout the game. Lots of buzz for officials already on this one. Does this mean the clock would be stopped when the coach or player signals time out rather than when it is granted? I had not heard of any issues with this, but I'm sure somewhere someone felt they were slighted.

10. Play clock re-set: (3-2-4-b-3) Change “after 20 seconds into the count…” to “after 15 seconds into the count…” With a 40-second play clock, the play clock starts as soon as the previous play ends. If there is a delay getting the ball set and the umpire backing away and the play clock is under 20 seconds, the referee will stop the clocks and reset the play clock to 25 seconds and restart it. If I'm reading this correctly (and based on something I read elsewhere), if the play clock gets below 25 seconds before the ball is ready, it will be reset to 40. If the game clock is running, this will give the offense an opportunity to burn more clock. I check the play clock every time I back away, and it's usually 28-32. There will be 4-5 times during a game where it is gets to 20-24 which will now result in brief stoppage, resetting the play clock to 40 (rather than 25), and then restarting. This seems unnecessary to me.

11. Overbuilt facemask is illegal equipment (1-4-7). These became popular in the NFL and I believe have been banned there. This was a pre-preemptive strike.

Notes
    Mechanics of the announcement for targeting fouls: the referee will not announce the disqualification until after the review.

The committee also extensively discussed the use of technology (tablets, computers, etc.) and decided not to make any changes at this time. A working group will be established to consider a wide range of technology issues.

Default Re: 2015 New Rules Draft

Not sure i like that play clock rule.

Didn't our LB's have those facemasks in previous years?

CLJ did but idk if it's excessive. I've seen some in the NFL that covered most of the open area of the helmet that make his seem tame. I don't have a problem with any facemask and not sure why this rule is needed.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

I was thinking about CLJ too. I wonder what the threshold is for "overbuilt"

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    I was thinking about CLJ too. I wonder what the threshold is for "overbuilt"
    Whatever the referees decide

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    Whatever the referees decide
    Obviously, the correct answer is 'Any Facemask at all!' in that case.

Of course then we'd probably have to throw that officiating crew out as drunk

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTech View Post
    Obviously, the correct answer is 'Any Facemask at all!' in that case.

Of course then we'd probably have to throw that officiating crew out as drunk
    Obviously you are referring to the SDSU playoff crew.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Here is an article about the NFL rule change last year. I assume the NCAA examples will be similar.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/7/1...-canty#4092115

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Not sure i like that play clock rule.
    Someone explain why the play clock and game clock are not ALWAYS in sync? The play clock should never start until the ball is set and ready for play on first downs.