Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MVFC meeting

Default MVFC meeting

http://www.inforum.com/sports/367498...valley-meeting

Their reiterating some points made before that, namely:

Larsen reiterated commissioner Patty Viverito’s comments that the league cannot as a whole take a stance on cost of attendance one way or the other.

Default Re: MVFC meeting

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    http://www.inforum.com/sports/367498...valley-meeting

Their reiterating some points made before that, namely:
    Patty V is going to be very surprised at how this shakes out.

I would say that at least the top 1/3-1/4 of teams will offer it. Out of 124 teams, I wouldn't be surprised if 30-40 teams offer FCOA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Patty V is going to be very surprised at how this shakes out.

I would say that at least the top 1/3-1/4 of teams will offer it. Out of 124 teams, I wouldn't be surprised if 30-40 teams offer FCOA.
    I also think the number is 30. I also think there will be around 20 G5 schools that want NO part of this, as well. I have to think this meeting is to gauge who is going to do it and who isn't so they can develop a strategy towards a viable future. While I can't think of any scenario where you can develop parity within a conference where 30% are playing with different cards in the deck, I am sure this is part of seeing if there are any strategies not out already out there. Mainly this is like playing poker where the bottom 2/3rds of the conference doesn't get to use any face cards. They might still win a hand every now and then, but it is a disadvantage over the course of multiple hands.

This is going to set a landscape in college football that might dictate the next step for reorganization strictly using scholarships and FCOA commitments as the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I also think the number is 30. I also think there will be around 20 G5 schools that want NO part of this, as well. I have to think this meeting is to gauge who is going to do it and who isn't so they can develop a strategy towards a viable future. While I can't think of any scenario where you can develop parity within a conference where 30% are playing with different cards in the deck, I am sure this is part of seeing if there are any strategies not out already out there. Mainly this is like playing poker where the bottom 2/3rds of the conference doesn't get to use any face cards. They might still win a hand every now and then, but it is a disadvantage over the course of multiple hands.

This is going to set a landscape in college football that might dictate the next step for reorganization strictly using scholarships and FCOA commitments as the standard.
    I think it will be a domino effect. NDSU has indicated that they are open to it. In order to stay competitive, this will be the "slush fund" that can help give an advantage over a scholarship limit. UNI will need to do it for basketball, as will many other MVC schools because Wichita State without football will be able to offer it and they can't fall behind.

It will make schools prioritize sports. If we can piggyback off the success of the football team, we can also get basketball in the mix and help get us a step up in recruiting. I remember how in the DII days, we always said we had more money than we could spend, I hope this is another instance of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    I think it will be a domino effect. NDSU has indicated that they are open to it. In order to stay competitive, this will be the "slush fund" that can help give an advantage over a scholarship limit. UNI will need to do it for basketball, as will many other MVC schools because Wichita State without football will be able to offer it and they can't fall behind.

It will make schools prioritize sports. If we can piggyback off the success of the football team, we can also get basketball in the mix and help get us a step up in recruiting. I remember how in the DII days, we always said we had more money than we could spend, I hope this is another instance of that.
    I wouldn't want NDSU to do this halfway... all sports or no sports.

I would say ease your way into it over a few years, otherwise that could stall the whole thing.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

I don't think you could do this for non-revenue sports. I think we could swing football and basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I would say ease your way into it over a few years, otherwise that could stall the whole thing.
    As long as the plan is to fully fund all sports and that plan is no longer than five years, then fine. But if NDSU essentially says, "Oh, women's track shouldn't get cost of living because they're not that important", it won't end well for anybody.

Somehow I think that if you say, "football isn't getting a dime until all women's sports get full cost of attendance", that the money will be found.

As long as the plan is to fully fund all sports and that plan is no longer than five years, then fine. But if NDSU essentially says, "Oh, women's track shouldn't get cost of living because they're not that important", it won't end well for anybody.

Somehow I think that if you say, "football isn't getting a dime until all women's sports get full cost of attendance", that the money will be found.
    Hopefully. .. all depends on them duckets

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Basketball is not optional.... Otherwise back to d2....if you guys think 30% of fcs is gonna do it in football that makes football optional