Thread: UNI has a new OC

Default Re: UNI has a new OC

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    Probably pays better. No purple.
    Doesn't have to work with Farley..

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    Probably pays better. No purple.
    Good point. Ankeny's colors are Maroon and gold.
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

Quote Originally Posted by coloradobison View Post
    Doesn't have to work with Farley..
    Priceless. .
    Last edited by StL Bison Fan; 04-28-2015 at 06:19 PM.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    Ok, let me get this straight...
    We got Coach K because he came to ndsu to take a assistant job.
    Now a coach is leaving to coach high school?

Of course I don't know the circumstances, but tell me more...
    I am shooting off the cuff here, but here is my two cents.

At uni it is all about Farley. While I don't follow uni football any more than they are a generally in the top half of the valley, I don't hear much about their program. At NDSU, an maybe this is because we do follow them very closely, but it does seem to me it is a culture at Bison football to praise assistant coaches. Bohl and Coach K do not have many interviews out there where they don't mention their staff when discussing the success of the program. It has become such the nature of the program, I don't think it is intentional, it is just about the kind of people NDSU looks for when they hire. In fact, it seems when the offense or defense especially has a great game Coach K will mention Polasek or Entz had a great game plan. When there is a struggle in any part of the game, Coach K quickly says WE have to figure out how to fix it. He gives praise and shares failure. The few times I have seen Farley interviewed it is his program, his success, and failures are always external.

If this is indeed the atmosphere at these institutions, it wouldn't be hard to see why uni assistants are constantly looking for positions where they might feel they are more appreciated. NDSU assistants leave to, but it almost always seems like a move up. uni assistants are constantly seen making lateral moves or even taking slight steps back to get themselves in a position to move forward somewhere else. Maybe it does just come down to pay. I do think their program is good enough that their assistants should be valued enough to move up. It might be more than just pay involved here.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post

At uni it is all about Farley. While I don't follow uni football any more than they are a generally in the top half of the valley, I don't hear much about their program. At NDSU, an maybe this is because we do follow them very closely, but it does seem to me it is a culture at Bison football to praise assistant coaches. Bohl and Coach K do not have many interviews out there where they don't mention their staff when discussing the success of the program. It has become such the nature of the program, I don't think it is intentional, it is just about the kind of people NDSU looks for when they hire. In fact, it seems when the offense or defense especially has a great game Coach K will mention Polasek or Entz had a great game plan. When there is a struggle in any part of the game, Coach K quickly says WE have to figure out how to fix it. He gives praise and shares failure. The few times I have seen Farley interviewed it is his program, his success, and failures are always external.

If this is indeed the atmosphere at these institutions, it wouldn't be hard to see why uni assistants are constantly looking for positions where they might feel they are more appreciated. NDSU assistants leave to, but it almost always seems like a move up. uni assistants are constantly seen making lateral moves or even taking slight steps back to get themselves in a position to move forward somewhere else. Maybe it does just come down to pay. I do think their program is good enough that their assistants should be valued enough to move up. It might be more than just pay involved here.
    I think this was worth at least a quarter. You are on to something. Sometimes it's not money it's culture and a good work environment.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post

Klieman made a move up to DC coming to NDSU, he was Asst DC at UNI, Farley is a control freak and needed to have his hand in it.

plus K got paid more at NDSU also

this is all from memory so correct me if im wrong
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    Klieman made a move up to DC coming to NDSU, he was Asst DC at UNI, Farley is a control freak and needed to have his hand in it.

Klieman did not come to NDSU as the DC...Hazelton was here at that time.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    He came in as the defensive backs coach if I remember correctly.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

I am sure there are many uni assistants that have moved up when they moved on. There is just an inordinate amount that make lateral moves or step back when they move on. That is the part of the program which I think is somewhat telling. Like I said, it could just be about money, as well. uni is a basketball school. They apportion their resources accordingly. I also think that culture has to be a factor in there somewhere. Not only does NDSU have this history of coaches showing appreciation for their assistants through public acknowledgement, they have fought to get them competitive pay and most telling is I do think we have assistants who maybe stay a season or two longer than they possibly could have. Even though I personally don't have a problem with NDSU being a springboard for larger programs for coaches, the atmosphere and culture has still led to stability by stretching out a season or two extra by coveted talent. I know it has been said before, but NDSU does truly do things differently than most anyone else out there. Even when people leave, there are few institutions out there where you hear people consistently talk about how they learned how to do something the right way with a certain program and want to replicate that. Bohl is now a Cowboy but you hear him talk about Bison football occasionally and what he is trying to accomplish. When is the last time you have heard Klieman talk about his uni experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    ahh yes you are correct.....makes UNI look worse, I LIKE IT
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant