Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Drive and Game?

Default Greatest Drive and Game?

Hello Bison Nation. This is my first post. I thought I'd start an interesting discussion by asking

1. How everyone would rate that final drive compared to other great drives in Bison football history?

The K-State drive from last year was certainly longer and more methodical but given what was at stake and of course the outcome this has got to be a close second IMO. The performance by Wentz and Urenzdowski were big time clutch. For the record the drive was 6 plays (not counting the false start) with three catches by no. 16, 2 incomplete passes, a 5 yd run for TD by no. 11. It lasted only 58 sec and went 83 yards.

2. How everyone would rate this game/win compared to others in the program history?

I can't think of a bigger W, but I am not a Bison football historian, and given my my hometown (Bozeman MT) I don't get to watch the Bison much unless they are on ESPN.

The Dynasty Lives On!

Default Re: Greastest Drive and Game?

Welcome Montana-Bison. I love your state.
    You question ... that is a great question.

Given the stakes, I would rate this drive today as one of the best if not the best in NDSU history. The Brock Jensen led drive against Kansas State last year was fantastic because of who it was against. But it also was vintage Bison football. This drive today, the Bison did not have time to do a vintage run-dominated (spiced with a pass here and there) Bison drive. There was only 1:38 left to go a freakin' 85 yards. So NDSU had to play outside the box, and they put the game on the shoulders of a freshman receiver whose 3 catches gave the Bison something like 70 of the 85 yards. And they did it in the biggest game of the year. That is cool hand Luke stuff. I was so impressed with Urzendowski on those three plays (and Carson Wentz too).

The single most famous play (and drive, I suppose) occured in a 1985 semi-final game between NDSU and the University of South Dakota, late in the 2nd period. South Dakota had pasted NDSU earlier in the season, something like 38-10. I believe USD was the reigning Division II champ. NDSU ran option football back then and Jeff Bentrim was the quarterback. In that play NDSU hiked, took the play right, Bentrim took a hit and as he was in the air going down, he pitched the ball from under him to the right to James Molstre who was 5 yards and slightly behind him to the right. Molstre ran for a touchdown on that play ... changed the momentum of the game and NDSU went on to win that game and then the National Championship against North Alabama.

If one takes a look at NDSU school team and individual rushing records, the three 1960s teams, especially those with Paul Hatchett, have many mentions in the list. There are likely some great drives from that era that we will never see ... I doubt these games were filmed ... maybe I am wrong.

Here is a link to a great documentary that talks about NDSU's great football teams in the 1980s and into the 90s. You can see the play of Bentrim-Molstre here. On watching it, the play looks done, over, nada, finished .. and magically the football pops out into Molstre's hands who does not lose a step and then kicks it into overdrive to run 50 yards or so down the sideline for a score.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im2UUz_tEIw

(added 1/12/15) Here is an article from KFGO - Fargo.
    http://kfgo.com/blogs/so-many-opinio...-down-a-notch/
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 01-13-2015 at 05:39 AM.

Great game and final drive but imo brocks final drive against ksu is the best ever.

Yes...we are oficially spoiled.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

1.) USD has never won a national championship.

2.) No question in my mind. Given the circumstances it was the greatest game and drive I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post

2.) No question in my mind. Given the circumstances it was the greatest game and drive I have ever seen.
    And NDSU was the reigning champ. Lol

KState drive was better. They out wizarded the purple wizard. An 8 minute drive, while the road team at night, vs a turnt up crowd of 60k+ is remarkable. especially converting some long third downs.

This one was clutch. but not the the same magnitude as the KState one.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    You are correct. Me bad.

For what was on the line todays drive was great. For just football plays the KSU one will be hard to top. Just a methodical drive where several players made "great" plays.
    Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

K-State is #1 for me. That was the drive that put Bison football on the national map. This is right up there though.

1. K-State (Brock Jensen QB)
    2. ISUr (Carson Wentz QB)
    3. Sam Houston (Steve Walker QB)

My three.....