Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pretty Good USAToday Article

Default Re: Pretty Good USAToday Article

I like these hats Ohio State was wearing on Monday. I think they were on the shirts as well.

It's almost like the have an inferiority complex with this whole "playoff." They want to make sure that you know that this is a real playoff and that their is no contoversy anymore when crowning a champion. I can just hear the higher ups now on the College Football Playoff board. "See...see, we have a playoff now!! We have a bracket and everything! Playoffs...playoffs...polayoffs!!!

I mean look at the damn trophy and tell me this isn't still a joke like the BCS. The trophy says Dr. Pepper instead of the NCAA logo, and people like Archie Manning, Condolezza Rice, and other former AD's and coaches decide the huuuuge bracket of 4 teams.

They can call it the first college football playoff all they want. It is not. Sure, what they had this year is better then the BCS or just having bowls. But until they have a real playoff with an NCAA committee picking the team and where every conference is represented; they will always have a bastardized version of the real thing that exists in all other levels of college football very successfully.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    I like these hats Ohio State was wearing on Monday. I think they were on the shirts as well.

It's almost like the have an inferiority complex with this whole "playoff." They want to make sure that you know that this is a real playoff and that their is no contoversy anymore when crowning a champion. I can just hear the higher ups now on the College Football Playoff board. "See...see, we have a playoff now!! We have a bracket and everything! Playoffs...playoffs...polayoffs!!!

I mean look at the damn trophy and tell me this isn't still a joke like the BCS. The trophy says Dr. Pepper instead of the NCAA logo, and people like Archie Manning, Condolezza Rice, and other former AD's and coaches decide the huuuuge bracket of 4 teams.

They can call it the first college football playoff all they want. It is not. Sure, what they had this year is better then the BCS or just having bowls. But until they have a real playoff with an NCAA committee picking the team and where every conference is represented; they will always have a bastardized version of the real thing that exists in all other levels of college football very successfully.
    In light of the fact that we just won our 4th straight Natty in Frisco, AND it's sister city of Fargo was just named the drunkest city in the country........................shouldn't we have a Wild Pitch Bar logo and a crushed, empty can of Wood Chipper beer on our trophy?

Is anyone shocked Fargo is the drunkiest city? I mean, when you have to drink and celebrate NDSU wins; it's going to make hard drinkers out of a lot of us!
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Is anyone shocked Fargo is the drunkiest city? I mean, when you have to drink and celebrate NDSU wins; it's going to make hard drinkers out of a lot of us!
    I estimate it has increased my annual alcohol consumption ten fold.

I believe the NCAA has little to do with the FBS/BCS/College Football Championship division in comparison to the five conferences that pretty much run it themselves. The Division I (FCS) title that NDSU competes for each year, technically is the only Division I title ran by the NCAA.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    Amen. I just had this conversation with a co-worker. He brought out the argument of "it's just too hard on the student athletes to play that extra game." And he went to an FCS school and is familiar with the FCS playoffs. I pointed that out, and he retorted with, "Yeah, but there's still a difference in the toll on the body between an Alabama defensive lineman pounding you versus a defensive lineman from North Dakota State."

Maybe a little, but I suspect the TCU players would still rather have a chance at still playing and giving and receiving a pounding than sitting at home.
    That would make sense if the NFL didn't play more games with less roster spots and has a much higher caliber level of athletes at each position. I've heard this same excuse from FBS fans before, but they have no retort when I present them my NFL comparison.

In my opinion, a true playoff system don't exist for one reason, money. I just can't explain why the conferences believe there is more money in bowls than in a 8/16-team playoff bracket system with the remaining teams still going to bowls. One thing I've learned in life, is if something is being done that doesn't seem right and is ran by smart people, money is usually the catalyst of the issue. Perhaps, the bowl system has too much money still tied up in TV contracts.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kdubs View Post
    I was watching the local news in my hotel Saturday night in Dallas, and they spent more time talking about the FBS media day than the fact that NDSU just made history in the FCS. I was extremely annoyed. They didn't even show a clip. It was literally "North Dakota State won their 4th national championship, beating the Redbirds 29-27 today at Toyota Stadium. In other news...."
    We watched that same sportscast. Another channel did show 2 NDSU touchdowns in their highlights. I thought they would at least show the last ISU touchdown to take the lead and then our last drive to take it back.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Don't wear those around the TCU campus.

It's OK to not be OK.

The dumbest argument against expanding the FBS playoffs came from ESPN's Michael Smith. On his radio show he stated that a team could win multiple bowls in one season. For example a team could win the Sugar Bowl in the quarter finals and then the Rose Bowl in semis to qualify for the championship. Talk about wanting your cake and eating it too. Protect the sanctity of the bowl games but crown an "undisputed" champ.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I believe the NCAA has little to do with the FBS/BCS/College Football Championship division in comparison to the five conferences that pretty much run it themselves. The Division I (FCS) title that NDSU competes for each year, technically is the only Division I title ran by the NCAA.
    Yep. NDSU is the NCAA D1 Champ.

Ohio State is the Dr. Pepper Champ.