Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pretty Good USAToday Article

Default Re: Pretty Good USAToday Article

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    Why the face palm there? Sure, it will never happen, and probably only fans of FCS schools would be all that interested in the game if it did. But are you not at all curious how they'd stack up?

I suspect SDBison suggested that mostly in jest, but I would love to see the game. Not so much from the perspective of who scores more points -- as I believe the FBS team would probably win 99 out of 100 -- but more from the perspective of how they stack up against each other. I have a feeling that at least some years, such a game would be a lot less lopsided than many people expect. I think that the 2013 Bison would have had a fighting chance to win and probably would not have been embarrassed on the field.
    Yes, you got my intention correct. Just tired of the FBS superiority complex and lack of pre and post game national media coverage for the FCS championship.

Would be nice if ESPN did a quick highlight of the FCS Championship game at halftime tonight. Maybe even do something during a timeout and give credit (run a gameday clip) to show Herbstreit picking the Bison to 4 peat earlier this year. Have a little fun with it..........but then every second must be given to the almighty FBS.......ad nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by DCinOK View Post
    "I played at the FBS (level), and I can honestly say the only difference between FBS and FCS is depth," said Redbirds defensive end David Perkins, who transferred to Illinois State from Ohio State.

Interesting...and he would know.
    Roberson actually said that the hardest part for him transferring was adjusting to the speed of the game...as in FCS was faster and quicker, just a bit smaller. Let that sink in for a minute.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    Why the face palm there? Sure, it will never happen, and probably only fans of FCS schools would be all that interested in the game if it did. But are you not at all curious how they'd stack up?

I suspect SDBison suggested that mostly in jest, but I would love to see the game. Not so much from the perspective of who scores more points -- as I believe the FBS team would probably win 99 out of 100 -- but more from the perspective of how they stack up against each other. I have a feeling that at least some years, such a game would be a lot less lopsided than many people expect. I think that the 2013 Bison would have had a fighting chance to win and probably would not have been embarrassed on the field.
    Absurd post. NDSU would lose by 30 plus points each and every game. NDSU is a legit top 30 team. But this is another level. Are you watching the game? The talent and speed is very noticeably to the naked eye.

Anybody else very pissed every time they say this is the first college national championship. I know what they mean, at this level, but they give no props to any other level. Ok rant over

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    Roberson actually said that the hardest part for him transferring was adjusting to the speed of the game...as in FCS was faster and quicker, just a bit smaller. Let that sink in for a minute.

Yeah, but he played for Indiana, in the Big no less.

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN View Post
    Yeah, but he played for Indiana, in the Big no less.

Whenever they show an Ohio State player from the front side, I can't help but combine the "BIG" patch and the "O" and read "BIG 0!"

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Yes, you got my intention correct. Just tired of the FBS superiority complex and lack of pre and post game national media coverage for the FCS championship.
    I was watching the local news in my hotel Saturday night in Dallas, and they spent more time talking about the FBS media day than the fact that NDSU just made history in the FCS. I was extremely annoyed. They didn't even show a clip. It was literally "North Dakota State won their 4th national championship, beating the Redbirds 29-27 today at Toyota Stadium. In other news...."

Quote Originally Posted by kdubs View Post
    I was watching the local news in my hotel Saturday night in Dallas, and they spent more time talking about the FBS media day than the fact that NDSU just made history in the FCS. I was extremely annoyed. They didn't even show a clip. It was literally "North Dakota State won their 4th national championship, beating the Redbirds 29-27 today at Toyota Stadium. In other news...."
    Do you think they spoke much about the D2 championship? Nope. Is what it is. The media coverage of the Super Bowl dwarfs college so what is the point?
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    Absurd post. NDSU would lose by 30 plus points each and every game. NDSU is a legit top 30 team. But this is another level. Are you watching the game? The talent and speed is very noticeably to the naked eye.
    I get that the top 5-8 FBS teams each year have some crazy talent and speed, and are very well-coached. If I understand correctly, you believe that NDSU would lose to 'Bama, Ohio State, Florida State, Oregon, TCU, etc by 30+ points every time. And you may be right. My point is that until you put the teams on the field, you can't know that for sure. I would not be surprised at all if last year's Florida State team had a tough time scoring against the 2013 Bison. I would not be surprised at all if the 2013 Bison kept that game within 2-3 scores at the end. I may be off base. But again, we won't ever know for sure, because such a game will never be played. So all we can really do is speculate.

FWIW -- While computer ratings, especially across divisions, have their limitations, they can be a starting point for these sorts of hypothetical scenarios. Sagarin shows 2013 NDSU as only 15.5 dogs on a neutral field against 2013 FSU. Massey's figures show NDSU with a 10% chance of winning, with a most likely score of 20-38 in FSU's favor.

Absurd? Maybe. But I don't think so. Look, I'm not saying that I think NDSU is likely to win that sort of game. I'm just saying that they would play tougher than folks like you give them credit for. I think you would be surprised at the outcome. Many people thought I was out of whack with reality for believing that the 2013 Bison could beat 2013 K-State. FWIW -- I believe that both Massey and Sagarin predicted only around a 10-15% chance that NDSU would win that one. Yes, I get that 2013 FSU and 2013 K-State were in a different class, but I also know that football is a complex game and a lot can happen on the field when players hustle and maintain confidence and play as a cohesive unit and happen to get a bounce their way. Do the top teams have enough talent and speed to overcome those intangibles? Most likely yes, in most cases. But... Any given saturday.

Arizona crushed Oregon in 2013. Utah beat Stanford. Who would have expected those outcomes? Any given saturday.