Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FCS going tot he bowls (well the MEAC/SWAC at least)

Default FCS going tot he bowls (well the MEAC/SWAC at least)

HMMMM I hope this is not a trend! Money Talks $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

http://hbcusports.com/2014/12/30/lis...layed-in-2015/

coldspot is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: FCS going tot he bowls (well the MEAC/SWAC at least)

they'll call it the "People come to our football games to watch our band perform" bowl

Quote Originally Posted by coldspot View Post
    they'll call it the "People come to our football games to watch our band perform" bowl
    never seen their bands are they worth the $1Mill payout ESPN is shelling out for conference attendance to whatever they are going to call this?

IF the NCAA pays the expenses of the playoff traveling team, they should do both?

$77,000 (rounding) for meac and $100,000 for swac schools. if nobody goes to their games why would anyone watch them in a bowl game and who will by the advertising? Just proves they are not good enough to compete in Fcs so leave and just play each other. No FCS schools better be paying these schools for ooc games. Good luck to them but it won't fix they athletic budgets.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    $77,000 (rounding) for meac and $100,000 for swac schools. if nobody goes to their games why would anyone watch them in a bowl game and who will by the advertising? Just proves they are not good enough to compete in Fcs so leave and just play each other. No FCS schools better be paying these schools for ooc games. Good luck to them but it won't fix they athletic budgets.
    One conference today, another tomorrow. GSU gone, APP state Gone rumors that other FCS teams (some in the valley) want are looking at moving on up. IS the FCS moving in the right or wrong direction....got me. but I dont like seeing this!

Good. The winner of the auto bid always got their ass kicked anyways.

BRING BACK SNORTY

Quote Originally Posted by onbison09 View Post
    Good. The winner of the auto bid always got their ass kicked anyways.

So are you thinking this is a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    So are you thinking this is a good thing?
    For the FCS playoffs, hell yeah. The MEAC team always got destroyed. Maybe they'll go to 20 teams. 24 is too damn many. I really don't think that ESPN will pay a bunch of FCS conferences for bowl games.

BRING BACK SNORTY

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    HMMMM I hope this is not a trend! Money Talks $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

http://hbcusports.com/2014/12/30/lis...layed-in-2015/
    I think when you only have one auto bid and it costs money to play in the playoffs against a guaranteed $90k-$100k whether you are good or not is an easy decision for the MEAC. Take Morgan State for example this year. They were in no position to host a game with a 10,000 seat stadium and walk away in the black. They weren't good enough to advance. When is the last time a MEAC team won a playoff game? Even when they do win, it isn't profitable for them. South Carolina State hosted in 2013 and lost to Furman with less than 5,000 in attendance in their 22,000 capacity stadium. Bethune-Cookman hosted in 2012 to lose to CCU with their 9,600 capacity stadium half empty. 1999 is the last year a MEAC team has won a playoff game as far as I can tell.

They not only suck in the playoffs, they lose money. The other 9 or 10 schools don't even get the opportunity to lose money. With a conference guarantee of $1M by ESPN, everyone goes home a winner. The really sad part about this isn't that they got bought out of the FCS playoffs. It is that it drive the historically black colleges further away from FCS instead of finding a way to bring the SWAC into the fold. Maybe they would have better off negotiating a 10 game season, a conference championship for each the MEAC and SWAC, and then a MEAC/SWAC championship game where the winner gets an autobid into the FCS playoffs. They could have had it both ways. The payout and the playoffs. Instead, now we have a further divide among another conference and the rest of FCS.