Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonnet

Default Re: Bonnet

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    I think a lot of people were surprised there was no flag on that. I know I was expecting to see the penalty flag come flying out.
    It looked high live. After seeing the video, we got lucky. I'm glad.

IndyBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbsy View Post
    Fortunately I watched from home I guess - I laughed well into the next play. Also Bonnet runs like he's trying to shatter the concrete below him.

For that Littlejohn hit - seems like the helmet contact was incidental. He led with his hands out and head up - will that still get called targeting?
    On the Bonnet hit, that is why I think players need to stop throwing themselves at defenders and wrap them up. He tried to blow him up with his shoulder/helmet and that caused his injury. This was not targeting but the foul exists as much to protect the tackler as much as the player getting tackled.

On the Littlejohn hit, targeting can be done with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder so it's not just limited to the helmet. I don't think he made forcible contact with the helmet, but he was definitely high. That is very risky and the rulesmakers want players to lower the target. Also on this play the quarterback was rolling out so it's not certain if he's going to run or throw. This gives the defender a little more of the benefit of the doubt. It wasn't super late, but you could also rule he could have probably held up without making contact. If he had flagged it, it could have been because he was a little higher and a little later than he needed to be. He's probably supported either way, but I think this is a good no call.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    On the Bonnet hit, that is why I think players need to stop throwing themselves at defenders and wrap them up. He tried to blow him up with his shoulder/helmet and that caused his injury. This was not targeting but the foul exists as much to protect the tackler as much as the player getting tackled.

On the Littlejohn hit, targeting can be done with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder so it's not just limited to the helmet. I don't think he made forcible contact with the helmet, but he was definitely high. That is very risky and the rulesmakers want players to lower the target. Also on this play the quarterback was rolling out so it's not certain if he's going to run or throw. This gives the defender a little more of the benefit of the doubt. It wasn't super late, but you could also rule he could have probably held up without making contact. If he had flagged it, it could have been because he was a little higher and a little later than he needed to be. He's probably supported either way, but I think this is a good no call.
    I agree with you on the Littjejohn hit. I think we can thank "playoff refs" for using discretion. I have a feeling some less experienced officials might have reached for their flag. Violent hit that was high and the player stayed down.

That bad thing on the littlejohn hit was that the refs didn't even stop play, while he was still halfway laying on the field, the SHSU backup QB had to run out there as time was clicking down on the play clock and run a play. That would make any fanbase a bit upset with officiating crew. Made me feel awkward about it anyway and it wasn't even my team.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    That bad thing on the littlejohn hit was that the refs didn't even stop play, while he was still halfway laying on the field, the SHSU backup QB had to run out there as time was clicking down on the play clock and run a play. That would make any fanbase a bit upset with officiating crew. Made me feel awkward about it anyway and it wasn't even my team.
    I bet if that corner could do it all over again with Bonnet, he would just try to push him out of bounds. That was like throwing yourself at a tree trunk and thinking you will do some damage to the tree.

CLJ was on a mission last night. I thought the QB hit would draw a flag for a late hit but if they were going to throw that one, they had to throw a ton more on the field on other plays when the bearkats went into thug mode. As far as the game as a whole, CLJ could put together a highlight reel of some of his best hits of his career from just the one game and he has had some great hits in his career. He looked like he thought Lincoln High messed up his Camaro.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    The CLJ play terrified me because Im assuming he would miss the championship game if targeting was called and the thought of that severe loss for a dumb play like that in an already won, nearly over game made me feel sick. After about 20 seconds and no flag I started breathing again.

Wonder if the db broke his arm trying to tackle Bonnet. It didn't look good.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    Watching the replay it looked like the trainers were checking out his shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post

Shoulder stinger or separation they had their hands up under his shoulder pads. But don't really know exactly.

Kid should have gotten lower so he could have gotten hurdled over... Would have hurt less.