Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NDSU Coastal tv ratings 1.47 million

Default Re: NDSU Coastal tv ratings 1.47 million

Quote Originally Posted by mnriverbison View Post
    True. As hammerhead noted, with NFL going Saturday this week there is really no "good" time to catch ratings. Also-Don't let the UND friend you bet with see this kind of context when you gloat about ratings.
    Why not show them the context?

There is no context in which 700,000 viewers for the hockey championship game versus 1.4 million for a quarterfinal FCS game (both on ESPN) supports the idea that NCAA hockey > FCS football.

I've been hearing that hockey is such a huge deal compared to FCS football for a long time. If you want to offer an argument to support that contention, you are welcome to trot it out.

Have any of you enthusiasts put this on the HYB yet? /no purple aka......I'm serious Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    Have any of you enthusiasts put this on the HYB yet? /no purple aka......I'm serious Clark.
    I'd rather not see that. I brought up the TV ratings comparison more as a defense against obnoxiousness than a call to be obnoxious. I don't see the need to go their board and rub their noses in anything.

A lot of us are going to be mingling with the extended family, friends, and the related acquaintances. Some of that latter group, knowing I'm a Bison fan, are liable to bring up how awesome hockey is and how inconsequential NDSU football is (although I've been getting less and less of that.) Usually, if somebody says that NDSU is doing terrible at something, I just say that nobody said going DI was going to be easy, but if they press too hard (and I've been known to dole out more rope to folks like that), then, and only then, is it fair to smite them with The Beatstick of You Asked For It. You don't want to tick Santa off this close to Christmas.

Bottom line: Facts like this are something you just keep in your back pocket until needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I'd rather not see that. I brought up the TV ratings comparison more as a defense against obnoxiousness than a call to be obnoxious. I don't see the need to go their board and rub their noses in anything.

A lot of us are going to be mingling with the extended family, friends, and the related acquaintances. Some of that latter group, knowing I'm a Bison fan, are liable to bring up how awesome hockey is and how inconsequential NDSU football is (although I've been getting less and less of that.) Usually, if somebody says that NDSU is doing terrible at something, I just say that nobody said going DI was going to be easy, but if they press too hard (and I've been known to dole out more rope to folks like that), then, and only then, is it fair to smite them with The Beatstick of You Asked For It. You don't want to tick Santa off this close to Christmas.

Bottom line: Facts like this are something you just keep in your back pocket until needed.
    This. I won't waste the oxygen or brain cells going over to that board.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

although I've been getting less and less of that.
    I still have a lot of it. Had the argument of how popular hockey is with a sioux fan today as a matter of fact. I love it when their trump card is..."But its the 'State of Hockey' "
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Why not show them the context?

There is no context in which 700,000 viewers for the hockey championship game versus 1.4 million for a quarterfinal FCS game (both on ESPN) supports the idea that NCAA hockey > FCS football.

I've been hearing that hockey is such a huge deal compared to FCS football for a long time. If you want to offer an argument to support that contention, you are welcome to trot it out.
    As you said yourself, our next (and more important game) will draw about 33% the audience of the game we want to pretend is a sign of FCS popularity. In truth, we were in a favorable time slot on a favorable network. That is important context.

duplicate post
    Last edited by mnriverbison; 12-18-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: duplicate

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    I still have a lot of it. Had the argument of how popular hockey is with a sioux fan today as a matter of fact. I love it when their trump card is..."But its the 'State of Hockey' "
    Minnesota is, in fact, the "State of Hockey." The talent coming from Minnesota trumps any other sport in the state. I'm sure more kids dribble a pumpkin or play football, good for them. When it comes to pure skill and high end talent the numbers speak for themselves. Comparing football and hockey in any form is ridiculous. I am a certified puck head who loves the Gophers, Wild or any hockey game on TV for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    Minnesota is, in fact, the "State of Hockey." The talent coming from Minnesota trumps any other sport in the state. I'm sure more kids dribble a pumpkin or play football, good for them. When it comes to pure skill and high end talent the numbers speak for themselves. Comparing football and hockey in any form is ridiculous. I am a certified puck head who loves the Gophers, Wild or any hockey game on TV for that matter.
    Football is played everywhere, hockey is played in a very small part of the country. It's a niche sport like lacrosse. There are only 59 teams in all of Division I college hockey, many of them Division II and III schools.

They obviously refuse to acknowledge this but it's staring them right in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    Except the "State of Hockey" is Minnesota...lol
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.