Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dexter Werner

BYZEN is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Dexter Werner

I've been harping to everyone around me that I want to see Dex in the post. Move CK back to the corner pumping in his 3, he appears much more comfortable there.
    SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier on NDSU intro video: "This is not meant to be North Dakota State's home game."

I got to see Dexter play in the first home game and was thoroughly impressed by his hustle and his smarts for the game.
    Seriously he has to have those qualities since he has the body and looks of a 6-4 Rodney Dangerfield!!
    He played like a true champion tonight!
    PLus I know they really couldnt sub much but it was Old School Basketball tonight, 5 guys playing well, so why screw with that...let 'em play the whole second half!!

Have to wonder if with his 7' wing span if true if he still has a couple inches of growth left. Usually most of these kids grow a couple inches through their college years. I was impressed with the little I saw of him last year but sounds like he had an awesome game tonight.

Can hardly believe Dexter's improvement from his RFR to Soph years. Same with Dupree.
    Thought that Dex had 6-7 blocks tonight, not just the 4 he was credited with.
    The 2 Akron big men also looked to have huge wingspans, but Werner still found a way.
    I wonder how long it will be before he gets the MarshallB treatment, with opponents
    sending a 2nd defender at him. Looks like he will quickly earn that respect.
    He definitely has a talent for getting off his feet in a hurry, more than once if needed,
    especially when he needs to tip the rebound before getting possession.
    And he also had that knack for snagging the rebound at the top of his jump tonight.
    Great to see!

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

When Dex goes for a block it is the most violent block I have ever seen in college basketball.

North Dakota kid that is undersizes and over looked and playing great basketball couldn't be happier for him!

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    I don't think I have been more wrong about a player ever in sports than I've been about Werner. IMHO he is our most valuable player so far in this young season.

15 boards tonight so far. Dude completely controls the interior for arguably one of the thinnest inside teams in Division 1. IMHO. The biggest thing I see with him is the energy he plays with, and even more importantly how that energy rubs off on other players. It's like he sets the tone by example for how he expects his team to play every night, and when I see Kading trying to rip the ball away from the opponents there's no question his teammates follow suit.

Dexter Werner, I salute you..asbolutely love the way the kid plays.
    Me too. I thought he belonged in D2. Dude is a workhorse.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsBison View Post
    Cant even begin to describe how impressed I was with Dex these last two games. Congrats to that young man, he can play on my team anyday.
    Hey coach bring him on to my city league team Wed night.

PS. Where's Slick? This is the type of guy he would love. Yea boi. Chyea.

Dex is having a break out season!!! The heart and soul of this team the fire the grittiness is all Korey brown

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post

I wonder how long it will be before he gets the MarshallB treatment, with opponents sending a 2nd defender at him. Looks like he will quickly earn that respect.
    I think he's got a long ways to go before his offensive post game and footwork are as refined as Marshall's was. To be fair very few collegiate post players can compare to Marshall in that respect. Having said that Dex is a different player, he gets on the boards better and is a bigger disruptor defensively than Marshall was. I think offensively he relies a little too much on his right handed jump hook even though it is very effective. Defendrs are going to start taking that away from him so he'll have to adapt as the season goes on. If his improvement year over year is any indication he's more then capable of that.

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Dexter needs to learn to roll to the hoop after he sets a screen and take it hard to the hoop if he gets the pass. Inevitably he may get fouled and get to the line more. Dexter will be a really good player on this team going forward. In some ways he and Kading playing side by side is the best way for this team as it presents a force inside with some rim protection.

Dexter will never be a Bjorkland as Marshall had footwork that you hardly see from centers in the pros anymore as a result of one on one that occurs so much in AAU ball.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.