Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Regionalization in FCS Football Playoffs - JKolpack article

Default Re: Regionalization in FCS Football Playoffs - JKolpack article

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    By no means am I suggesting the officiating wasn't horrid. I'm just saying that SDSU's effort can't be and shouldn't be discounted. NDSU was IMHO mostly outcoached, outschemed, and at times outplayed on the field by SDSU. Just didn't feel the horseshit officiating should somehow outweigh their effort.
    That's the problem with horseshit officiating, it's really hard to definitely determine just how much the horseshit affects the outcome. Just from watching the game, I still feel dirty. I'm kind of glad that NDSU didn't have a yellow towel fan promotion before this game, those things would have been flying everywhere. At the last interception by NDSU (24 Dempsey), our section was yelling; where's the flag? It seemed that we were becoming somewhat conditioned to the horseshit. Side note old joke: three guys go hunting, draw straws who will do the cooking. The holder of the short straw says ok, I'll cook but the first gut to complain has to become the cook. His plan is simple, he goes out and finds a steamy pile of horseshit, brings it to camp and cooks it. That night, the first guy takes a bite and announces: HORSESHIT!! But, it's really good!
    Hey Barkeep, another round of the green stuff for me and my buddies!

I withdraw my comment regarding horseshit officiating, as it is clearly insulting to horseshit.
    Sent from somewhere on teh intarwebs
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

By no means am I suggesting the officiating wasn't horrid. I'm just saying that SDSU's effort can't be and shouldn't be discounted. NDSU was IMHO mostly outcoached, outschemed, and at times outplayed on the field by SDSU. Just didn't feel the horseshit officiating should somehow outweigh their effort.
    I completely agree and will go one step further. Outside of a very few instances I think this has been going on for a good portion of the season. I personally feel our talent level solely has won us most of our games.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    SDSU brought it Saturday, that's for sure. Was it enough to win the game? I don't think so. Timely calls helped them get some field position and extra plays. But they definitely had a great plan and effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by KilldeerBison View Post
    That's the problem with horseshit officiating, it's really hard to definitely determine just how much the horseshit affects the outcome. Just from watching the game, I still feel dirty. I'm kind of glad that NDSU didn't have a yellow towel fan promotion before this game, those things would have been flying everywhere. At the last interception by NDSU (24 Dempsey), our section was yelling; where's the flag? It seemed that we were becoming somewhat conditioned to the horseshit. Side note old joke: three guys go hunting, draw straws who will do the cooking. The holder of the short straw says ok, I'll cook but the first gut to complain has to become the cook. His plan is simple, he goes out and finds a steamy pile of horseshit, brings it to camp and cooks it. That night, the first guy takes a bite and announces: HORSESHIT!! But, it's really good!
    So, I think we can agree that the officiating definitely affected the outcome. The question is, to what extent?

I also agree that our play calls have been suspect on offense especially. How much of this is scheming and preparation I am not sure.

I'll go one more in support of SDSU and say that I don't think we'll get a better opponent the rest of the tournament, except for in Frisco, and I fully expect Illinoise State to be there and give us all we can handle.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Did you really think a 1st year head coach, a first year OC and a first year DC were going to out coach an 18 yr veteran head coach with a veteran staff or even a 10 year head coach with a veteran staff that we had last year? Seriously we knew there was going to be growing pains and this was their first playoff game. Come on you have to be a little realistic, right? We won the game so they must have done something right.

Disagree, but respect your opinion.
    I felt the refs gave the bunnies their first 14 points, plus killed some of our momentum.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

KC Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Making money for the NCAA has everything to do with crowd size. If you could have a lot of home games for NDSU and Montana, (19,000 to 26,000 tickets) the NCAA makes money compared to some of the small crowds that I saw last Saturday. Who can forget that crowd on the red field where they only had sales of 4,000 tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    The Respect is reciprocated, But if I may...

Their were 2 huge PI calls on Champion and Smith that was literally the difference in them scoring points. Those calls don't happen (and they shouldn't have), and the Jacks punt. The butterfly effect of those punts can't really be quantified, but if anything, it goes in favor of the Bison in logistical point value and momentum swing.

I'll say it again, pregame, I was worried and I would not have been surprised if we lost the game. After the game, I was actually more surprised that we were able to pull it off after such adversity.
    There were 19 accepted penalties in the game. After watching the game again, there's a lesson to be learned. We had 3 DPI against us. Dudzik's was a slam dunk good call. The two against CJ are certainly debatable. I still have the most problem with the second. The lesson to be learned is that you never know how much contact officials from other conferences will allow. The same is true on hits along the sideline so you better be sure or prepare to give up the 15 yards. The rest of the calls against us were pretty simple and obvious. IMO, I see the "horrible officiating" as 2 calls that weren't corrected. The DPI on CJ and the late hit called on SDSU. You could add a few non-calls to the list (delay, holding, etc) but they happen every game. What REALLY cost us IMO was how we changed our offensive strategy as soon and SDSU scored the first time. It's like we flipped a switch into "Turtle mode" until the last drive. I'm also of the opinion that Beck is a huge loss. He flat out got guys on the ground. Zenner fought through tackles. I don't think his best performance against the Bison and Beck's absence are a coincidence. I'll add one more thing. Our special teams coverage sucks and it's been questionable all year IMO. We need our kicker (Starter and backup) to get kickoffs into the end zone or it could really cost us.

Regarding kickoffs, those kicks that land on the 2 yard line right near the sideline can be very effective if they don't go out of bounds.
    It's OK to not be OK.