Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virg Foss article - December 1, 2010

Default Re: Virg Foss article - December 1, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer63 View Post
    This article appeared in the Grand Forks Herald about 4 years ago. Perspective is a wonderful thing.

December 1, 2010

There comes a time in life when years of bickering, boasting and belittling between fanatical fans of the UND Fighting Sioux and NDSU Bison can be settled in a day.

It happened last Saturday in fact.

Amid much hoopla and rejoicing in Fargo, the Bison finally got to play their first football playoff game ever in the Fargodome.

You couldn’t dial in a Fargo radio station all week without being besieged with commercials imploring fans to back the Bison. The 18-year-old drought without a single playoff game in the Fargodome finally ended.

Bison strong. Be there. Be herd, the ads said.

In a dome seating more than 18,000 for football, a paltry 12,000 plus change showed up for the Bison game against Robert Morris last Saturday night.

That night in Grand Forks, 11,742 fans — a hundred over official capacity — showed up at Ralph Engelstad Arena for the nonconference hockey game between the Fighting Sioux and Notre Dame.

There were ready-made excuses to be had in both cities. Classes were not in session at either school. It was Thanksgiving weekend. People were gone.

Yet 6,000 fans showed up in the Fargodome dressed as empty seats. Up I-29 in Grand Forks, there were people outside one of the world’s greatest rinks trying to buy any extra tickets.

It was a hot topic of discussion in a group of friends I’ve met with outside the rink between periods for years now.

Bison fans have been waiting nearly two decades for a playoff game in the Fargodome. Yet when one came along, one-third of them — 6,000 — didn’t show up.

Where were they? “They are up here watching Sioux hockey,” quipped one of the fellows in our group gathering outside that night. Zing.

It’s true; there’s a steady stream of cars heading from Fargo and points between to Grand Forks on nights Sioux hockey plays at home.

I’ve heard from Bison fans for years that Sioux hockey is nothing but a niche sport on a national scale.

Yet there isn’t an athletic program in the state that draws the national spotlight as does Sioux hockey, on radio, TV or printed press.

Bison fans rightfully are proud of their football success over the years at the NCAA Division II level.

At the Division I level, the Bison have not won a conference football title, let alone a national championship.

There are seven Division I national championship banners hanging in Ralph Engelstad Arena. There are 14 WCHA pennants, too, as winners of the strongest league in the land.

It’s the truth that NDSU never will have an athletic program in any sport to rival the prestige and success of Sioux hockey. For a school and city that like to think of themselves as bigger and better, that hurts. Always has. Always will.

Nov. 27, 2010, will go down in history as the day the drawing power of Sioux hockey and Bison football was put to the test, head-to-head.

It was no contest.

So to those Bison fans who bash and belittle Sioux hockey?

Just shut up.

Foss is a Hall of Fame journalist

Rule #76: No excuses, play like a champion!

I think this article by Virg doesn't show his ignorance on logistics of selling tickets to that game but the fact how wrong his claim that "It’s the truth that NDSU never will have an athletic program in any sport to rival the prestige and success of Sioux hockey."
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    I think this article by Virg doesn't show his ignorance on logistics of selling tickets to that game but the fact how wrong his claim that "It’s the truth that NDSU never will have an athletic program in any sport to rival the prestige and success of Sioux hockey."
    Yep. We had what? A week to sell tickets to that playoff game... nuff said.

Bison_Pride is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

We used to love taking hundreds of dollars off his whiney, no-tipping, dumb ass when I dealt blackjack in Grand Forks years ago. Even UND hockey fans who worked there thought he was a crabby old turd.

Me: "Isn't there hockey game in town tonight?"
    Virg: "Yup. But nobody's paying me to be there."

He was a fan, only if he was getting paid.

Don't care how you put it. That game was embarrassing from an attendance perspective. That team was mediocre. A week's notice was plenty for me and my friends to come back to Fargo early with no dorm to sleep in.

I'd like to think people have learned their lesson since then.
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.
    LAKESBISON 3/4/2006-4/15/2011 Forever in our hearts

Former representative of 3rd Floor Johnson
    Current representative of 12 St. N Fargo

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison_Pride View Post
    We used to love taking hundreds of dollars off his whiney, no-tipping, dumb ass when I dealt blackjack in Grand Forks years ago. Even UND hockey fans who worked there thought he was a crabby old turd.

Me: "Isn't there hockey game in town tonight?"
    Virg: "Yup. But nobody's paying me to be there."

He was a fan, only if he was getting paid.
    Someone should remind Herold readers of this 2010 masterpiece with a reprint. e.m.b.a.r.r.a.s.i.n.g

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Didnt UND sell that game out months in advance (much like ndsu does with season tickets) while NDSU football had 6 days to print, sell, and distribute tickets on Thanksgiving weekend with no students and we didn't even know if we were in the playoffs? Wow what a douche. Apparently he doesn't understand that Montana plays to half capacity the same weekend. Let's give UND a home game the same weekend on 6 days notice against a mediocre team and they would have the same result

Actually, let's give un_ a home game, with a full off season to warm up the helmet car and sell hope. Same result.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Virg Foss had some outstanding work on the DI issue too. Seem to remember that NDSU beating Wisconsin really rubbed him the wrong way too.

Well, at least he can still brag about being in the WCHA.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Virg Foss had some outstanding work on the DI issue too. Seem to remember that NDSU beating Wisconsin really rubbed him the wrong way too.

Well, at least he can still brag about being in the WCHA.
    Along with the ULTIMATE rival Minnesota, right?