Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeding frenzy, Part XXXX

Default Re: Feeding frenzy, Part XXXX

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN View Post
    Driver or not at $81000/year he better be doing something very special.
    I think part of the point NDSU has been trying to make, although it is tough when the communication they have with the press is so fractured at this point (and it goes both ways) is that Magnuson has a variety of responsibilities, works more than 50 hours a week, and driving has become an ancillary duty, for lack of a better word. He accompanies Bresciani on events and I suppose for the convenience of not taking two vehicles, share a ride and Magnuson drives. I know I am over simplifying things a lot here, but that is the gist of what is coming out of Ray Boyer and the president's office. That isn't his only job as he is the liaison between campus police and the president's office, coordinates security at the president's residence, and coordinates security for events the president is involved with. I imagine, regardless of what these other institutions say, they have campus security personnel at events dealing with some campus figures. That being said, NDSU is doing itself no favors by not having a discussion with the press about the role of Magnuson and how it at least loosely fits the university security system. I am not talking about discussing in detail the security protocol for an institution with almost 15,000 students and 6,200 some employees, but rather a blurry outline, at least.

Magnuson himself has been with the university since 1997 as a police officer. I suppose in those days he started at around $25,000. Without promotions, his salary meeting inflation demands would be around $40,000. Then you start working in the promotions from officer to sergeant to lieutenant to now and $81,684 doesn't seem that unreasonable. I know looking at 2008 numbers, he was making around $43k and the president's executive assistant, Barbara Pederson was making around $46k and she is at $84k now. So these past 7 years has been kind to many NDSU employees. The numbers shouldn't be that concerning. $81k for almost 17 years in a job requiring professional certification is probably in the school's favor.

Now the question really becomes if the university is using Magnuson in a capacity that warrants the special position? Everything else really doesn't matter. The money, what other schools are doing (because UND's extra administrative officer is counting for around 2/3rds of Magnuson's salary, as well), and just the single part of him occasionally driving Breciani around. It comes down to one question? With all the duties that Magnuson performs, is the position necessary? We've already established at many Bresciani attended events there probably is a campus security presence necessary, for long trips he probably wouldn't go by himself so who would go with him and what jobs are they expected to perform on the trip, and campus security is still responsible for the security of his residence and offices. Does this position meet all of those needs and if it does, how many people does it replace?

I do want to make it clear that my post about what other institutions are doing is not meant to be an excuse for anything NDSU does or doesn't do, but rather pointing out if a journalist or anyone else is going to use other institutions as a comparison, there is a responsibility of the writer to make sure they are clear those other institutions are actually worthy of comparison. In this particular case, the writer completely failed to outline the composition of the other university's executive offices employment situation. What story does the extra personnel in those offices tell? We don't know because the journalist was a hack. Portly rob doesn't know because he is a hack. The story wasn't about comparing apples to apples, it was about Bresciani having a driver, which isn't entirely true. He has a driver, a security liaison, and so forth. We don't know where those duties overlap into other requirements which could possibly cost the university, and ultimately the students and taxpayers, more money. That part should have been fleshed out and brought to light. Now all we are discussing, because the so called journalist completely failed in discussing all the facts, is that Magnuson drives the car when he and Bresciani go places. With absolutely no other context, this is nothing but a piece of tabloid journalism from a newspaper who would like us to believe their value foundation is integrity, respect, and responsibility. This article expressed none of these values.

I am not saying NDSU is right, but I do know the newspaper and writer are wrong. These are times I wonder if I was ignoring the calling to follow my father's footsteps into journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I think part of the point NDSU has been trying to make, although it is tough when the communication they have with the press is so fractured at this point (and it goes both ways) is that Magnuson has a variety of responsibilities, works more than 50 hours a week, and driving has become an ancillary duty, for lack of a better word. He accompanies Bresciani on events and I suppose for the convenience of not taking two vehicles, share a ride and Magnuson drives. I know I am over simplifying things a lot here, but that is the gist of what is coming out of Ray Boyer and the president's office. That isn't his only job as he is the liaison between campus police and the president's office, coordinates security at the president's residence, and coordinates security for events the president is involved with. I imagine, regardless of what these other institutions say, they have campus security personnel at events dealing with some campus figures. That being said, NDSU is doing itself no favors by not having a discussion with the press about the role of Magnuson and how it at least loosely fits the university security system. I am not talking about discussing in detail the security protocol for an institution with almost 15,000 students and 6,200 some employees, but rather a blurry outline, at least.

Magnuson himself has been with the university since 1997 as a police officer. I suppose in those days he started at around $25,000. Without promotions, his salary meeting inflation demands would be around $40,000. Then you start working in the promotions from officer to sergeant to lieutenant to now and $81,684 doesn't seem that unreasonable. I know looking at 2008 numbers, he was making around $43k and the president's executive assistant, Barbara Pederson was making around $46k and she is at $84k now. So these past 7 years has been kind to many NDSU employees. The numbers shouldn't be that concerning. $81k for almost 17 years in a job requiring professional certification is probably in the school's favor.

Now the question really becomes if the university is using Magnuson in a capacity that warrants the special position? Everything else really doesn't matter. The money, what other schools are doing (because UND's extra administrative officer is counting for around 2/3rds of Magnuson's salary, as well), and just the single part of him occasionally driving Breciani around. It comes down to one question? With all the duties that Magnuson performs, is the position necessary? We've already established at many Bresciani attended events there probably is a campus security presence necessary, for long trips he probably wouldn't go by himself so who would go with him and what jobs are they expected to perform on the trip, and campus security is still responsible for the security of his residence and offices. Does this position meet all of those needs and if it does, how many people does it replace?

I do want to make it clear that my post about what other institutions are doing is not meant to be an excuse for anything NDSU does or doesn't do, but rather pointing out if a journalist or anyone else is going to use other institutions as a comparison, there is a responsibility of the writer to make sure they are clear those other institutions are actually worthy of comparison. In this particular case, the writer completely failed to outline the composition of the other university's executive offices employment situation. What story does the extra personnel in those offices tell? We don't know because the journalist was a hack. Portly rob doesn't know because he is a hack. The story wasn't about comparing apples to apples, it was about Bresciani having a driver, which isn't entirely true. He has a driver, a security liaison, and so forth. We don't know where those duties overlap into other requirements which could possibly cost the university, and ultimately the students and taxpayers, more money. That part should have been fleshed out and brought to light. Now all we are discussing, because the so called journalist completely failed in discussing all the facts, is that Magnuson drives the car when he and Bresciani go places. With absolutely no other context, this is nothing but a piece of tabloid journalism from a newspaper who would like us to believe their value foundation is integrity, respect, and responsibility. This article expressed none of these values.

I am not saying NDSU is right, but I do know the newspaper and writer are wrong. These are times I wonder if I was ignoring the calling to follow my father's footsteps into journalism.
    is that like focusing on ones shirt to point out excess consumption?

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    is that like focusing on ones shirt to point out excess consumption?
    Kind of, except that was adding to a story in attempt to paint a picture to create an agenda. This was carefully leaving out facts to paint the picture that meets an agenda.

Both instances was shoddy journalism in attack mode rather than some grand exposé uncovering university waste with some prohibitive value. At least one of the stories was an attempt to be more subtle about it. If barging in with chain mail on and carrying a mace is subtle.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    I know people that make that amount of money all year and they don't do nothing special

Duration of being at an employer doesn't merit salary increases other than inflation. Value to the organization does. If this guy is doing $81K of work, then fine. No complaints from me.

Inflation suggests his salary should not be anywhere near what it currently is unless he has taken on some serious increase in responsibility. Inflation in the US hasn't been above 3%(if the website i found is being honest) a single time since 2008.
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.
    LAKESBISON 3/4/2006-4/15/2011 Forever in our hearts

Former representative of 3rd Floor Johnson
    Current representative of 12 St. N Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by 344Johnson View Post
    Duration of being at an employer doesn't merit salary increases other than inflation. Value to the organization does. If this guy is doing $81K of work, then fine. No complaints from me.

Inflation suggests his salary should not be anywhere near what it currently is unless he has taken on some serious increase in responsibility. Inflation in the US hasn't been above 3%(if the website i found is being honest) a single time since 2008.
    I'm an economist, I am very well aware of how inflation works. Ndsu, like many government institutions, have built in cola raises to account for inflation. My post said, accounting for just inflation, half of his pay increase is accounted for. Regardless of what position he is in, by simply being employed by NDSU and following minimal cola annual raises averaged, then include his promotions along the way. His present salary is where he is at and it is accounted for. You can't argue if Magnuson is employed by ndsu he should not be at around $81k. No way, no how can this be argued. It makes sense with a couple different factors added together. No where in any of my posts did I say inflation is the only factor. Inflation + promotions. By the way, after 17 years, the compound effect of inflation is right around 50%. Please quit responding to posts if you aren't going to read them. You stopped at inflation, got a little chubby, and thought you had something.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I'm an economist, I am very well aware of how inflation works. Ndsu, like many government institutions, have built in cola raises to account for inflation. My post said, accounting for just inflation, half of his pay increase is accounted for. Regardless of what position he is in, by simply being employed by NDSU and following minimal cola annual raises averaged, then include his promotions along the way. His present salary is where he is at and it is accounted for. You can't argue if Magnuson is employed by ndsu he should not be at around $81k. No way, no how can this be argued. It makes sense with a couple different factors added together. No where in any of my posts did I say inflation is the only factor. Inflation + promotions. By the way, after 17 years, the compound effect of inflation is right around 50%. Please quit responding to posts if you aren't going to read them. You stopped at inflation, got a little chubby, and thought you had something.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    I'm not talking 17 years. I'm asking about 6 years, 08 to 14. No need to be a prick. What is this guy doing to get paid 80 grand a year?

PS. Maybe you should read the part where I mentioned about an increase in responsibility in addition to inflation. Drop your ego and grudge because I have no intention of being in awe regarding military service
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.

I'm not talking 17 years. I'm asking about 6 years, 08 to 14. No need to be a prick. What is this guy doing to get paid 80 grand a year?

PS. Maybe you should read the part where I mentioned about an increase in responsibility in addition to inflation. Drop your ego and grudge because I have no intention of being in awe regarding military service
    First of all, I don't care what you think of my military service. Never have, never will. I did and will have an issue when you make disparaging remarks about the military which I understand now was your ignorance. I don't need your thanks or your awe, as neither change your absolute disrespect through a lack of understanding what others sacrifice for you. That being said, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke. Luckily for all of us, there have been countless good men who act without your gratitude or acknowledgement. I was lucky to have served and Patton says it better than most, “...It is a proud privilege to be a soldier – a good soldier … [with] discipline, self-respect, pride in his unit and his country, a high sense of duty and obligation to comrades and to his superiors, and a self confidence born of demonstrated ability.” I get that you will never understand that and sadly realize there will never be an expectation either. You are what you are.

About the salary issue, it is completely irresponsible to take any 6 year stretch out of context without research and say that is fair or unfair. To look at the whole 17 year and say at least half of his increases were to keep up with inflation is entirely more accurate. Without further research, is there a trend in the past six years to make up for years where there were no cost of living increases? Without going back and looking at each year, I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty this is the case because I know people who worked for the state of ND who did go years without COLA increases and had a few large bumps in the past six years to make up for the past. Currently, police officers in this area start at $50k a year. So a person who started 17 years ago, with promotions and cola to be at $81k is probably pretty reasonable. 17 Years of experience + COLA increases + promotions to sergeant, lieutenant, and current pay grade = $81k. I simply explained the pay is neither unreasonable nor unexplained. Magnuson is not going backwards in pay at this point in his career, so the discussion centered on what the man is paid is really a moot point. That argument gets you nowhere, yet there are some, including you, who want to focus on the pay. Why? Scott Magnuson is not going to not work for campus security or lose a job. He is not going to be demoted without question of his merit. Regardless of what Scott Magnuson does for the university, he is going to be paid $81k.

The point I have made and this is where the argument hinges on and only where the argument hinges on, is the exact position Scott Magnuson currently working in needed? Is there a need for a captain of special projects role in the president's staff? Is his title broad enough he can fill multiple roles? Do those multiple roles add up to the flexibility of the president to streamline the rest of the office eliminating the need for possibly multiple personnel? There are some responsibilities on campus that don't change, regardless of who is fulfilling the duties. Campus security is required at many of the university events the president is involved with. Campus security is responsible for the security of the president's home and office. I am sure there is an assistant requirement for some of the events Bresciani attends. Would extra officers need to be employed to meet these demands? Would an extra administrative assistant be needed to meet these demands? If Magnuson's role overlaps several of these responsibilities without the need for extra personnel, then maybe the answer is his position is actually saving the institution money and manpower. That is where the writer failed, where critics are failing to research, and focusing on two aspects, driving and pay, have developed serious myopia. If the intention of the position was to cover many of these areas and it has devolved into the single duty of driving, then there might be a serious issue here. That was never fully developed, either. In the end, maybe the position is eliminated and Magnuson is reassigned, but guess what? He is still paid $81k in another position. So the pay is still the wrong focal point.

Until the focal point changes from the pay to the position, absolutely nothing changes. The pay is the easiest argument to defend and the most irrelevant. It is the position itself which should be the focus. The position itself needs to be justified and the requirements needed to fulfill that position. If the position is justifiably required, a law enforcement certification is necessary, and it requires a certain level of law enforcement experience, then Scott Magnuson sounds like he would be a pretty good applicant and where he is at in his career at NDSU, he is an $81k employee. See how the pay gets you nowhere? The pay is about where Scott Magnuson is on the pay scale, not only where the position is at on the pay scale. This is the part you need to move past.

First of all, I don't care what you think of my military service. Never have, never will. I did and will have an issue when you make disparaging remarks about the military which I understand now was your ignorance. I don't need your thanks or your awe, as neither change your absolute disrespect through a lack of understanding what others sacrifice for you. That being said, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke. Luckily for all of us, there have been countless good men who act without your gratitude or acknowledgement. I was lucky to have served and Patton says it better than most, “...It is a proud privilege to be a soldier – a good soldier … [with] discipline, self-respect, pride in his unit and his country, a high sense of duty and obligation to comrades and to his superiors, and a self confidence born of demonstrated ability.” I get that you will never understand that and sadly realize there will never be an expectation either. You are what you are.
    Your points are well-made, but I fear that 344Johnson is merely trolling the site now.

Hail bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I've never met a vet that expected me to be in awe or show him/her any special respect other than common courtesy. I'm embarrassed for you

Quote Originally Posted by Hail bison View Post
    I've never met a vet that expected me to be in awe or show him/her any special respect other than common courtesy. I'm embarrassed for you
    He's been butthurt in the past.

Seems very Nathan Jessup.

Admin: To forestall further trolling, 344Johnson is going into diaper mode.
    Last edited by admin; 12-04-2014 at 05:00 PM.