Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bo Pelini Fired at Nebraska

Default Re: Coach Bohl to Nebraska???

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    If Nebraska fired Pelini, no way in hell they are hiring Bohl to replace him

That was painful to watch and I don't like Nebraska
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.
    LAKESBISON 3/4/2006-4/15/2011 Forever in our hearts

Former representative of 3rd Floor Johnson
    Current representative of 12 St. N Fargo

Default Re: Bo Pelini = gone

From the "diehard" nebraska fans that I know well. Their opinion was Bohl was scapegoated after one of the losses early that year and Solich took over defensive calling, but then blamed Bohl for meltdowns later that year, even though Bohl was effectively neutered by Solich. Along with Bohl making the choice of chasing a "girl" didn't help the perception any. Solich then lasted another year with Pelini before they kicked him out. But their opinion is Bohl likely would never be accepted by the Husker fans due to the perceptions above so he likely would never get hired. My only add to that unless he did something remarkable at Wyoming then perhaps they may overlook and give him a shot but not sure Bohl has that much time left to sit around waiting for Nebraska if they hire someone new this year.

SafeTeeJ is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Bohl to Michigan....?
    "The bird is in your hand"

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    From the "diehard" nebraska fans that I know well. Their opinion was Bohl was scapegoated after one of the losses early that year and Solich took over defensive calling, but then blamed Bohl for meltdowns later that year, even though Bohl was effectively neutered by Solich. Along with Bohl making the choice of chasing a "girl" didn't help the perception any. Solich then lasted another year with Pelini before they kicked him out. But their opinion is Bohl likely would never be accepted by the Husker fans due to the perceptions above so he likely would never get hired. My only add to that unless he did something remarkable at Wyoming then perhaps they may overlook and give him a shot but not sure Bohl has that much time left to sit around waiting for Nebraska if they hire someone new this year.
    I know this thread is about Nebraska but I can't help thinking that there is nothing he can do at Wyoming that a couple more championships here wouldn't have done for him. I have been wrong before, but I seriously don't think he is looking at leaving there. Maybe if it was a Nebraska, but nothing else really makes sense. He left a top 50 program to restart with a bottom feeder that will take 3-4 years to rebuild where he might have reached a higher level faster staying here. I suppose not winning another championship here would set him back a couple of years more. It wasn't like the cupboard was bare here and there is no way anyone can tell me it is easier to recruit in Wyoming then here. Not in terms of the same kids but in terms of twice the number of the same kids to build the depth needed at the FBS level to reach the conference championship level. I think he will build a respectable program there that will compete here and there and knock someone off here and there, but for sustained conference championship level? I guess what I am saying is that it made sense if he left here for his last gig and retire in cowboyland. It doesn't make sense if he still has higher aspirations. I do see where he gets a couple more years of saying Coach K is doing it here with his recruits, but it still boils down to what have you done lately. Lately, he took a 5-7 team and turned them into a 4-8 team. Regardless of all the peripheral things that go with a new regime as some players left and such, it is what it is. He did drop the scoring average against them from 36.7 points per game to 32.8, but there offense took a step back from 31.3 points per game to 21.1. Again, a lot of personnel issues he had no control over, but how many interviews does that get him in to explain himself. Then, what does he say? Our defense sucks a little less, our offense lost a ton of players, and look at what Coach K is doing with my recruits in Fargo and I even tried to poach some on the way here.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I know this thread is about Nebraska but I can't help thinking that there is nothing he can do at Wyoming that a couple more championships here wouldn't have done for him. I have been wrong before, but I seriously don't think he is looking at leaving there. Maybe if it was a Nebraska, but nothing else really makes sense. He left a top 50 program to restart with a bottom feeder that will take 3-4 years to rebuild where he might have reached a higher level faster staying here. I suppose not winning another championship here would set him back a couple of years more. It wasn't like the cupboard was bare here and there is no way anyone can tell me it is easier to recruit in Wyoming then here. Not in terms of the same kids but in terms of twice the number of the same kids to build the depth needed at the FBS level to reach the conference championship level. I think he will build a respectable program there that will compete here and there and knock someone off here and there, but for sustained conference championship level? I guess what I am saying is that it made sense if he left here for his last gig and retire in cowboyland. It doesn't make sense if he still has higher aspirations. I do see where he gets a couple more years of saying Coach K is doing it here with his recruits, but it still boils down to what have you done lately. Lately, he took a 5-7 team and turned them into a 4-8 team. Regardless of all the peripheral things that go with a new regime as some players left and such, it is what it is. He did drop the scoring average against them from 36.7 points per game to 32.8, but there offense took a step back from 31.3 points per game to 21.1. Again, a lot of personnel issues he had no control over, but how many interviews does that get him in to explain himself. Then, what does he say? Our defense sucks a little less, our offense lost a ton of players, and look at what Coach K is doing with my recruits in Fargo and I even tried to poach some on the way here.
    I wonder if he was appealed by the challenge of "turning around" Wyoming. If he does it there, he could do it anywhere and should have his choice of just about anywhere he wants to go. Nebraska being the notable exception per my previous post. There is something at Wyoming that appealed to his motivation juices (or was just an easy way to make a couple million $ before riding off into the sunset of retirement?) which makes me interested in seeing what he does there.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Bo Pelini Fired at Nebraska

As far as the Nebraska opening goes, I hear #ChuckThePigskin guy is available

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    I wonder if he was appealed by the challenge of "turning around" Wyoming. If he does it there, he could do it anywhere and should have his choice of just about anywhere he wants to go. Nebraska being the notable exception per my previous post. There is something at Wyoming that appealed to his motivation juices (or was just an easy way to make a couple million $ before riding off into the sunset of retirement?) which makes me interested in seeing what he does there.
    I honestly think it is a combination of turning things around there and retiring. He probably has a fairly decent buyout clause that gives him the time to turn that program around, gets them to bowl eligible with a sniff at the conference championship here and there, and retires as coach. Then takes some asst. AD position where he gets to be the token king of laramie for a few years, his house is more than paid off, and he is a millionaire in a state with no personal income or retirement income tax. I think property taxes might be a little higher than here, but they might be capped. It is a very retirement friendly state to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I honestly think it is a combination of turning things around there and retiring. He probably has a fairly decent buyout clause that gives him the time to turn that program around, gets them to bowl eligible with a sniff at the conference championship here and there, and retires as coach. Then takes some asst. AD position where he gets to be the token king of laramie for a few years, his house is more than paid off, and he is a millionaire in a state with no personal income or retirement income tax. I think property taxes might be a little higher than here, but they might be capped. It is a very retirement friendly state to live in.
    and he owns land there.....land he owned before being offered the job!

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    and he owns land there.....land he owned before being offered the job!
    I have friends who own land in North Dakota with no desire to live here. He has talked about his land in Wyoming for years. I do think a lot of things lined up for him perfectly and he jumped at it. The question will always be until it isn't a question anymore is if another program can lure him away or if his plan was to rebuild and retire if he can say no to more lucrative bait. I personally don't think he has worked himself into a position where anyone would want to buy out his contract yet.

Seriously though, apparently there are a lot of people in the Mountain West who think he is already the best coach in their conference. Ton of turnover from last year, tons of injuries this year, establishing a new identity with a running game and physical defense, and he will probably keep getting brought up when other jobs open up. Florida, Nebraska, Michigan, and a few other schools will start the domino effect rolling. Scott Frost doesn't shake up things too much because he is a OC, but Les Miles to Michigan would be a huge domino. LSU's next coach would come from one of the Mississippi schools. It just starts tumbling from there. Other schools that would like to possibly change aren't in a position to buyout coaches but might change their minds when they start seeing other schools making moves. It will be interesting to see where everyone is sitting after the music stops, including Bohl, even if I don't think he is really going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    Defensive coordinator under Solich I believe. Nebraska got thrashed (humiliated) in the national championship game against a Miami team that looked like an NFL roster. It was a Miami track meet. There's probably more to it than that...but that was the straw that sent the staff out the door. Correct me if I'm wrong folks.
    It's kinda like that. I grew up a Nebraska fan and I almost went to school there. I specifically remember Nebraska getting thrashed against Colorado then backing into the championship game because of a perfect storm of events. Then once Nebraska got there, Bohl went on record in an interview prior to the game saying that he felt his guys could match up one on one with the Miami receivers and then when it got to the game, and it was obvious to everyone else except Bohl that they could not, he continued to lock up his CB's one on one with the Miami WR's with little or no help over the top. Nebraska wasn't going to win that game anyway because Miami was stacked that year, but it was 2 incredibly important consecutive games in a row where the defense looked completely unprepared and outmatched. Bohl took all the heat for those performances. Combine that with the off the field stuff, he got ran out of Lincoln pretty fast and it was ugly.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!