Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Roadwarrior's 400th game in a row! 12/6 ! Congrats!

Default Roadwarrior's 400th game in a row! 12/6 ! Congrats!

According to his signature.

Roadwarrior's 400th consecutive game attended is next Saturday!

There should be a celebration or moment of silence or both!

Bravo Buddy!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Default Re: Roadwarrior's 400th game in a row! 12/6 ! Congrats!

Thanks Sam!

A little history:

My first Bison football game was the home opener in the fall of 1971 a couple of days after starting classes at NDSU. It was the only game I attended that year. Damn student apathy! The one thing that I noticed at that first game was that football was far more important at NDSU than it was back at Minot High! In the summer of 72 the new south stands were installed at Dacotah Field. This really fueled the fire throughout the student body to support the football team. Having a bottle or two stashed in your clothes might have had something to do with it also. The sound of empty bottles dropping to the concrete below was music to the ears of students for the next 20 years. I most likely attended most games in 1972, but can't be sure of it. I know that since the start of 1973 season, I haven't missed a home Bison football game.

My first road trip for football was up to Grand Forks in the fall of 1974. The first out of state trip was the following year to SDSU. Over the next several years I made it to most of the games within easy driving distance. I can easily remember the 1981 season. The Bison opened the season with three road games: Northern Michigan, Northern Arizona, and Northern Colorado. They finished the regular season 8-2 and made the playoffs. The playoff trips were to Puget Sound, Shippensburg and McAllen TX. I didn't make it to any of those six games.

In the summer of 1982 I looked at the football schedule and the furthest game was to Omaha. It was then that I told myself that I would make it to every game that season! The Bison cruised through the regular season undefeated and hosted Virginia Union in the first playoff round at Dacotah Field. We won that game and the semi-final game had the Bison travelling to UC-Davis. Wow, that was a long trip I said to myself. But I remembered what my goal was that I set in the summer so I boarded a plane and flew out to California. We came close but lost the game.

During the fall of 1982, I had taken a few road trips with some friends that thought that following the Bison on the road was something pretty fun! Next thing you know in the fall of 1983, Ken, Frank, John and I climbed into a new conversion van and made the trip out to Northern Michigan. The four of us made most of the games for the next several years. One night after a game on the road another Bison fan not in our group called us the "roadwarriors".

I guess the rest is history! I remember DORMIE making a big deal when we were on our way to my 33rd game in a row. I just never thought that this streak was something that I was going to do the rest of my life when it started. But it sure has been fun!!

533 In a row

I have watched the NDSU football team play in the following states:

North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Texas, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Washington, California, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia

533 In a row

The record over those 399 games is 311-86-2

Game location:
    Dacotah Field 65-5-2
    Fargodome 116-23
    Away 130-58

Opponents:
    Missouri Valley 39-17
    FCS Non Conference 32-5
    FBS Non Conference 8-3
    FCS Playoffs 14-1
    Great West 11-5
    North Central 150-41-2
    DII Non Conference 31-5
    DII Playoffs 26-9

533 In a row

So impressive! Here's to safe travels and the next 400.
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif

Thanks to everyone for making this a big deal!

I am asked at least a dozen times every week, "how many is it now?".

533 In a row

Favorite location?

Favorite moment?

Congrats on your accomplishment!

Great accomplishment. I think NDSU should Honor Roadwarrior at halftime or somethng! Congrats Roadwarrior! I have even traveled to a few games with him. Once in a Limo. to Missouri St.

I have been asked many times over the years what my favorite game was. I never really had an answer until after the first trip to Frisco. No question now, it was the best!

533 In a row

One thing that I have to say: Over the past 33 years I have met the parents of hundreds of football players. It is definitely one of the best parts of all of those road trips. What a great group of people! It's no wonder to me why NDSU football players show the character that they do. The unfortunate thing is that these parents also "graduate" when their son has finished his playing career.

533 In a row