Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 playoff defense

Default 2014 playoff defense

So what major changes will we see on defense without Beck? DeLuca obviously steps in to start in the middle, moving Littlejohn to the outside. Its unfortunate that this injury happened, but DeLuca has been great when called upon. Next man up.

But here's the kicker...we all know how versatile Beck was as OLB and nickel back, but I for one may not fully realize how valuable he was to this defense. There's been a lot of talk about how Beck has filled the nickel role because of the speed he has. Beck gave us the ability to have more defensive audibles available as he could fill multiple roles on defense. Now that we can't exchange personnel, that opportunity now goes away to some degree I would guess. Littlejohn doesn't have the speed that Beck does, so we might not be able to adjust on the fly as seamlessly? Sounds like Dempsey will be on the field more as well. Getting CJ back healthy will certainly help as well.

So what will we do differently on defense the rest of this season to fill in for the loss of Beck?
    "The desire to win is useless without the desire to prepare."

"I've coached in a lot of great venues during my career, but there is no place louder than the Fargodome. There is no verbal communication whatsoever when you are down on that field. It's unbelievable. It's the best atmosphere in college football - at any level." - Jeff Monken

Default Re: 2014 playoff defense

Probably more of a traditional nickel package with a true DB in instead of Beck. It will be Dempsey when CJ gets back or Colvin if CJ is out.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Dempsey seemed to play really well against Youngstown from my untrained eye.
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Tre appeared to be right on his defender every time the ball was thrown. In fact, all of the db's were. Only one play I can think of where a receiver was wide open, but the safety was over the top and we were on a DB blitz.

I think they'll do as much as they can with DeLuca in the middle. CLJ knows every position so there's no loss with him at either of them. He's very athletic. As stated before though, we'll run a lot of nickel. But this will also depend on what type of offense we face. Heavy run or balanced, I think DeLuca stays in more. He's proven he can cover the middle of the field with 2 interceptions already this year in minimal time. It took Olson until the KSU game his senior year to get his first INT. I also may be a HUGE DeLuca fan and have been waiting to see him on the field. I'm not worried about the defense. Enough leaders out there that they can help others and still get their job's done. Good to see us get the bye so the d-line can get some rest. That was a physical 8 straight weeks of football for those boys. Win the first one, but 3 more games boys, and you get another rest to rewrite the history books. LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR!
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

I'm guessing you'll see a very small drop off in the 4-3 base. Travis Beck is a great player and I appreciate everything he's done for the program but DeLuca is a special, special talent and getting him on the field is a plus. Neither of the outside LBs is as good of a cover man as beck and so passing against our base set just got a little bit easier. I don't think we'll miss a beat stopping the run.

Where the big change will be is the amount of nickel that will be played. You'll see Littlejohn and DeLuca play with Dempsey, Smith, Colville, Heagle and Dudzik when other teams go to spread looks. Champion will be moved inside to the NB (his best position) and Dempsey will play to the boundary with Smith defending the field side. It's possible you might see a 3 safety look in nickel like we used last year with Heagle playing LB/S/NB but I would think that the first configuration will be the most popular.
    Now this is the law of the prairie
    As old and as true as the sky
    And the Bison that keep it will prosper
    And the Bison that break it will die
    As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk
    This law is the final word:
    For the strength of the Herd is the Bison
    And the strength of the Bison is the Herd.

You really think they keep DeLuca in over Thornton in the nickel situation? I don't think I've yet to see that.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Gawd I would hope so. 2 career games in which he's seen significant time 2 career games with INT. He's now probably the best pass defending LB that's on the team and healthy. Not only is he a great athlete, but it's just hard to throw over the middle when there's a 6'3" 230 pound guy getting in passing lanes and intimidating slot receivers, backs and tight ends. I agree that I haven't seen that yet but it'd be a misuse of resources IMO to sit DeLuca in nickel.
    Now this is the law of the prairie
    As old and as true as the sky
    And the Bison that keep it will prosper
    And the Bison that break it will die
    As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk
    This law is the final word:
    For the strength of the Herd is the Bison
    And the strength of the Bison is the Herd.

I think we'll pull Easton Stick's redshirt and move him to linebacker.
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

Quote Originally Posted by bri-dog View Post
    I think we'll pull Easton Stick's redshirt and move him to linebacker.
    #whatwouldbubbado

MontBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Travis is a hell of an athlete and maybe I'm crazy but I don't think CLJ is any less athletic than Beck. The thing that has me concerned is who's behind esley carelton and nick now. Is PGT healthy? Stumph?

Quote Originally Posted by MontBison View Post
    Travis is a hell of an athlete and maybe I'm crazy but I don't think CLJ is any less athletic than Beck. The thing that has me concerned is who's behind esley carelton and nick now. Is PGT healthy? Stumph?
    I would agree with this statement with one exception...Littlejohn doesn't have the speed that Beck does and that's what makes him so effective in nickel. But you're right...the depth we once had is now being utilized.
    "The desire to win is useless without the desire to prepare."

"I've coached in a lot of great venues during my career, but there is no place louder than the Fargodome. There is no verbal communication whatsoever when you are down on that field. It's unbelievable. It's the best atmosphere in college football - at any level." - Jeff Monken