Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ivy League

Default Ivy League

Why would they not want to participate in the playoffs?

Hail bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Ivy League

Quote Originally Posted by Snake View Post
    Why would they not want to participate in the playoffs?
    Non scholarship athletes so they do their own thing to play for something. Maybe?

The historical reason, as I understand it, is that academics are higher priority at Ivy schools than athletics. And the powers that be have concerns that participation in the playoffs would detract from the players' academic pursuits.

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    The historical reason, as I understand it, is that academics are higher priority at Ivy schools than athletics. And the powers that be have concerns that participation in the playoffs would detract from the players' academic pursuits.
    Yes Dean Wormer!

That's a canard since they do participate in the postseason for every other NCAA sport including ones with midweek contests and longer seasons.

marenlee is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Entitlement? Still pissed off at being pushed down a level that they're too good to play with the FCS.

Quote Originally Posted by marenlee View Post
    Entitlement? Still pissed off at being pushed down a level that they're too good to play with the FCS.
    I think you are spot on... Still would be nice for them to participate, so non-FCS fans can understand how competitive they are compared to the rest of the FCS. Right now they have some weird "mystique" about their programs -- that would be pretty much destroyed if they competed against top tier FCS teams.

that doesnt explain basketball...

Quote Originally Posted by NovaBison View Post
    I think you are spot on... Still would be nice for them to participate, so non-FCS fans can understand how competitive they are compared to the rest of the FCS. Right now they have some weird "mystique" about their programs -- that would be pretty much destroyed if they competed against top tier FCS teams.
    Which is why they will never play top FCS teams.

ahem. bullsh#t.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."