Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Happy Half Century!!!

Default Re: Happy Half Century!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BisoninNWMN View Post
    Didn't the RB from Kenmare (cannot remember his name) fumble like 3 times in that game?
    The Jacksonville State game? I don't remember that. I just remember that Pete Erickson was an excellent back and it sucked when he was lost for one of those seasons with a broken collarbone (1991?)

Hah, I probably shouldn't think of that dang Jacksonville State game - just remembered another thing that bugged me to no end: NDSU had stopped Jacksonville State dead and you could tell NDSU was going to put the game away, but JSU rushed the punt team onto the field and punted before NDSU could get the defense off the field and nobody called a time-out. The 5-yard penalty was enough to give them a first down and they went on to score.

On the flip side, the only reason 1989 leaves such a bad memory is because NDSU set the bar so high for itself. Any other program would view that season as a good one. Heck, in that one season, NDSU won more D2 playoff games than Northwest Missouri, Grand Valley State, and UND had won in their history up to that point.

Don't forget that the night before the Championship game, Florence, Alabama received 4 or 5 inches of snow. Thus the low score. I would say if it was us instead of Jacksonville St. playing Miss. College we would of had a great psychological advantage. That again would of been 3 championship in a row. 6 of last 8 and realistically should of won in 84'. 7 of 8. I guess we will have to live with 5 of 8 from 83' to 90'.

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Thanks for the story and the amazing facts from our tradition rich program we support. I look back to when I was a kid running around Dacotah field, playing football with all the other kids in the northwest corner by the pine trees during games, and wish I had paid a little more attention to some of the great players that were probably playing at that time. It wasn't until the Bison moved into the FFD in '93 that I took ownership of my loyalty, and became a Bison fan on purpopse. Sure is fun being a fan of the Bison!!!
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Now we know the rest of the story. Thanks for sharing.

Keep this coming. Great stuff.