Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: 11/17: At Iowa

Default Re: 11/17: At Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Your obsession with Will Ferrell references is borderline creepy, and still waiting for Chase Morlock to move to linebacker, mark it down. Your also the epitome of... never mind this thread is hopeless
    Thread is hopeless? Pat yourself on the back big boy

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Your obsession with Will Ferrell references is borderline creepy, and still waiting for Chase Morlock to move to linebacker, mark it down. Your also the epitome of... never mind this thread is hopeless
    You're

10char

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I love everybody's logic on here, everybody has a master plan but no idea how to execute it. "Pay our head coach more", "Recruit a bigger footprint", etc. Did we forget college athletics are financially driven? Who's gonna pay for that? Our football team has sustained success because of all the money they bring it, we can upgrade facilities (new turf, looking at adding seats), recruit wider areas, pay our coaches some of the best FCS salaries. That's because we get big dollar amounts from FBS games, the dome is sold out week in and week out and merchandise sales skyrocketed with ESPN visits and exposure. You want basketball to have sustained success then we have to meet those same levels, the SHAC is step one, we will now have the nicest basketball facility in the Summit League. You want to recruit a larger footprint and get a better salary for our head coach then bring people to the games with you, make sure that arena is full. The additional income from having an average 5K attendance instead of 3K over the course of a season is HUGE! We recruit our region because it is affordable and budget friendly to do so. Paying travel expenses to send coaches all over the US are not cheap and many mid-major recruits would rather stay in a region close to home than fly half way across the country to play ball for another school on the same level. I'm proud to say I've recruited about 10 people over the last 3 years that are now season ticket holders that weren't before. If everybody does that by the time the SHAC opens we'll have a full house of fans in an great facility, then the recruits will WANT to be a part of our program and won't have to be talked into it. Football is the prime example, if a recruit gets a call from NDSU and they know they get to play in one of the best FCS stadiums out there that is always sold out, in front of the loudest and best fans in the country and a chance to compete for national titles year after year who doesn't want to be a part of that. We just have to create the same environment for basketball and NDSU is putting the facility in place for us, now it's time to take care of the fans portion and then the recruits and the consistent appearances in the dance will come.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    I love everybody's logic on here.....
    Good post but I hope you're wrong on one thing. I hope the recruiting footprint is what it is because that's who NDSU is, and not because of a budget issue. Upper Midwest (Wisconsin, Minnesota, ND, SD, Illinois, Nebraska, Iowa) has served us well in hoops. The one notable exception that I can think of off hand is Braun, but his Grandpa lives in ND so local ties. Nothing against a kid coming in from wherever, but I think the recruiting footprint is more about who NDSU is and not a lack of resources, at least I hope so.

We do have a kid from Washington on the roster