Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Challengers to a 4-Peat

Default Re: Challengers to a 4-Peat

With the exception of the UNI game, Illinois State has been a machine this year. Better than advertised on defense and they have probably the single best rusher in the country in Marshaun Coprich. Tre Roberson has been doing an average-but-effective job at keeping the offense moving and does enough when Coprich isn't producing to keep the Redbirds ahead. Playoffs seem almost a lock and they have the horses to win games.

I really like Fordham as a "small school" that can challenge for a title this year, too. Their QB Michael Nebrich is the real deal and had a fantastic year this season - this year he's top ten in passing yards and has the Rams clicking as one of the most effective offenses in the country. They score 42 points a game, but the schedule is ludicrously soft - the only real competition they've played this year was Villanova and they got blasted 50-6. They have another game at Georgetown (win) and then finish the season at Army so ostensibly will finish the season 10-2, which won't get them a good seed but might be enough for that 7-8 seed and a few home games. Laud the cupcake schedule all you want, but a QB of Nebrich's caliber can elevate a team come playoff time.

Outside of the MVFC and a few small schools that could get hot at the right time, I like New Hampshire. We saw them in the semis last year with a very young team and they've gelled into a 9-1 team thus far with their only loss coming to Toledo by three scores - outside of that they've hammered just about everyone they've played. They do have two very intriguing games to finish the season, hosting Delaware then visiting Maine for the season finale, so that will tell us where this team is at. Could well ride a ten-game win streak into the playoffs and that easily gets them a top-2 seed.
    Official Bisonville Sponsor of:
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions
    DJKyRo's all-time GDT record: 10-8
    Don't follow me on Twitter @kroth37!

Quote Originally Posted by TateMosersneighbor View Post
    It'd be cool to see UNI and NDSU in Frisco.
    Right now the team I would like to see the most is UNI, for that to happen though(in what I would predict to be the 2nd round) NDSU and UNI both need to win out(to get the proper seeding to make the game happen) . UNI wins their first round game and then match up against NDSU in the second round. Some fans would say they would rather meet in the semi finals or even the championship game, but I want an early round game with them, if we can't beat them in the second round what does it matter if we play them in later rounds. Other than that, I don't care what team we play no matter if it is in the dome or not. But if I had to pick a team that worries me it would be UNI, and possibly EWU(though at the same time I would really like a game with them as well).
    From the movie THE PROGRAM

Regent Chairman: This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning.
    Coach Winters: Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?

No one is this division should challenge us.

Only NDSU beats themselves, rewatching the UNI game. On 1st INT on way to a 7-3 lead. A) hits receiver in arms B) Crockett to left in flat wide open.

Momentum was all theirs.

Zero challengers IMO
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

If UNH does win out to get a #2 seed, they could make it to Frisco.
    They do not loose at the Dungeon of Durham too often. A dome road
    game is doom.
    The Villanova Wildcats will be trouble for someone.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    As you guys have said the list is very short. UNH has played nobody. They lost their FBS to Toledo by 34, who lost to Iowa State and as of right now don't play the top other 2 teams in the CAA. Coastal has played absolutely nobody. Can you say Eastern Illinois from last year? Jacksonville St is winning the OVC, where this year it is them and nobody else.

I personally think the list narrows down to whoever gets in from the Valley, EWU, Villanova (2 losses by 1 point each, including 2OT to Syracuse), and Richmond.
    That is my list, as well. I think Villanova has been kind of flying under the radar this season, if you can as a top five team. They have a very balanced offense and can put up a lot of points. Their QB can run and throw. They also give up more than 20 points a game, on average. They are a team that can maybe hang in a shootout with an EWU.

NDSU already killed UNH & Coastal by 30-40 points!!!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

There's two reasons Villanova should be considered a contender, even though there hasn't been much mention of them. They can run the ball...and they can stop the run. Those are the teams that have the potential to make playoff runs. Gotta win the line of scrimmage.
    "The desire to win is useless without the desire to prepare."

"I've coached in a lot of great venues during my career, but there is no place louder than the Fargodome. There is no verbal communication whatsoever when you are down on that field. It's unbelievable. It's the best atmosphere in college football - at any level." - Jeff Monken

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    No one is this division should challenge us.

Only NDSU beats themselves, rewatching the UNI game. On 1st INT on way to a 7-3 lead. A) hits receiver in arms B) Crockett to left in flat wide open.

Momentum was all theirs.

Zero challengers IMO

Come on, give UNI some credit. NDSU made enough uncharacteristic mistakes that I think you have to give some credit to the defensive line, defensive coverage, and even the crowd. UNI was also making big mistakes on offense at the beginning of the game. Neither team was grabbing the momentum. And after making the pick, you have to give UNI some credit for making the most of it with a great return.

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TateMosersneighbor View Post
    It'd be cool to see UNI and NDSU in Frisco.

If that happens, I will try hard to be there!

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    Come on, give UNI some credit. NDSU made enough uncharacteristic mistakes that I think you have to give some credit to the defensive line, defensive coverage, and even the crowd. UNI was also making big mistakes on offense at the beginning of the game. Neither team was grabbing the momentum. And after making the pick, you have to give UNI some credit for making the most of it with a great return.
    I'll agree that UNI deserves credit. NDSU got the first big play of the game collecting the fumble recovery and UNI held on defense. That was key to the game. The other turnover on the fake FG was really meaningless. Although we were always "in" the game until real late, UNI never really let us in by thoroughly dominating 3rd down defense. I thought you guys looked great. Would love to see a rematch, but not really. That team always has talent...however its not always fully realized, but the talent is there to go out and win any game when they are determined to do so. Those teams are scary when they get on a roll, particularly at playoff time.
    "The desire to win is useless without the desire to prepare."

"I've coached in a lot of great venues during my career, but there is no place louder than the Fargodome. There is no verbal communication whatsoever when you are down on that field. It's unbelievable. It's the best atmosphere in college football - at any level." - Jeff Monken