Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I'm not concerned

Default Why I'm not concerned

After thinking about the game yesterday, we didn't make the game changing plays we were needed to win and l'd like our chances facing them in Fargo in December.

1. UNI's offense is really bad. Johnson may be the best back we see all year, but completing a forward pass is a major problem for them. The only way they'll score is if they have a short field caused by turnovers, special teams, etc. We turned the ball over and gave them great field position twice in the game. To UNI's credit, they've made a living off great special teams and turnovers.

2. Becks missed int early in the game. Its a play our D normally makes and changes the game.

3. Wentz int in redzone. You can't turn the ball over on the 5 yard line and expect to win. He seems like a smart kid and will learn from it. Also, an int would've been tolerable if it didn't get returned to 40ish (with penalty) and give their offense a short field.

4. Special teams. We can't give up a long return. We had a little momentum and gave it right back to them.

5. Wentz overthrows to Vraa. I don't see him missing 2 of those passed in the future. Its a simple throw and catch.

6. Running backs. There were several cutbacks where the rb (Frazier I believe), just ran the wrong way. If he'd made the correct cut he was gone for a very long run. Instead he ran right into the linebacker for a 4 yard gain.

Plus, if UNI doesn't win out, they won't even make the playoffs. They beat us at our own game, and I have a hard time believing we'll make the same mistakes the second time around (if it even happens).

Default Re: Why I'm not concerned

I hope those excuses helped you sleep last night.

UNI was better in all 3 phases saturday. everyone and their mom knew this game going in was going to be the toughest one outside of iowa state right out of the gate.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

That really bad offense just put up more points on us than anyone else so far this year and put up 20+ on a really good Ill St. defense too...just sayin. Besides they will be leaning on their defense just like we do. How many points do you need to score if your defense holds the opposing team to 3? Don't worry it's not a trick question

Only one scoring drive that UNI had started on their own side of the field. They never had a drive that went longer than 46 yards.

I understand that they won and scored the points but I'm not sure if they needed to get a bunch of yards that they could.

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It's alright to have a stinker. Let's see how they respond on the road and then bring out the hammer on YSU. If they finish strong there is no shame in a 1 loss regular season.

Now cheer for Lennon to beat both UNI and ILr.

Quote Originally Posted by mgbison View Post
    After thinking about the game yesterday, we didn't make the game changing plays we were needed to win and l'd like our chances facing them in Fargo in December.

1. UNI's offense is really bad. Johnson may be the best back we see all year, but completing a forward pass is a major problem for them. The only way they'll score is if they have a short field caused by turnovers, special teams, etc. We turned the ball over and gave them great field position twice in the game. To UNI's credit, they've made a living off great special teams and turnovers.

2. Becks missed int early in the game. Its a play our D normally makes and changes the game.

3. Wentz int in redzone. You can't turn the ball over on the 5 yard line and expect to win. He seems like a smart kid and will learn from it. Also, an int would've been tolerable if it didn't get returned to 40ish (with penalty) and give their offense a short field.

4. Special teams. We can't give up a long return. We had a little momentum and gave it right back to them.

5. Wentz overthrows to Vraa. I don't see him missing 2 of those passed in the future. Its a simple throw and catch.

6. Running backs. There were several cutbacks where the rb (Frazier I believe), just ran the wrong way. If he'd made the correct cut he was gone for a very long run. Instead he ran right into the linebacker for a 4 yard gain.

Plus, if UNI doesn't win out, they won't even make the playoffs. They beat us at our own game, and I have a hard time believing we'll make the same mistakes the second time around (if it even happens).
    I've calmed down a bit but the offensive penalties are still a big concern. UNI's backs were against the wall and put everything into this game. We should be able to bounce back and win the next two.

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by mgbison View Post

#5...well he overthrew more than Vraa, and continually put the ball in bad places for the recievers to catch, making them give up their bodies to go after the ball, also though with that a couple throws that were on target the receivers dropped the ball

yes we gave them short fields but that part of the game, our special teams have been subpar pretty much all year and by UNI living off of special temas they beat ISU Red and us, both teams that were undefeated until we played UNI

Face it we got beat down, we can bet UNI and I think a second game would be different but this may be just the thing we needed...look what happened after Indiana St veat us in 2012...we didnt lose again till last Saturday

on to the next game, UNI is over Missouri St is next, if we look crappy against them then im really going to be worried

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    It's alright to have a stinker. Let's see how they respond on the road and then bring out the hammer on YSU. If they finish strong there is no shame in a 1 loss regular season.

Now cheer for Lennon to beat both UNI and ILr.
    This. I am a 'stache fan this week and next. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    This. I am a 'stache fan this week and next. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This!

And, it is time to move on.

Coaches gotta coach. Players gotta play. And fans gotta support.

Go Bison!
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin

Lennon is a hell of a coach. My money is on the guy from my home state......