Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Good was the 2015 Playoff Defense (in comparison to previous years)?

Default How Good was the 2015 Playoff Defense (in comparison to previous years)?

So the general consensus on the Bison defense during the playoff run this year seemed to be that this was the most dominant defensive performance we've seen in the playoffs to date. Usually with things like this it seems what's fresh in our minds sticks out over what isn't as fresh so I was curious about whether the numbers really backed that up, especially considering how dominant the defenses on the 2011 and 2013 teams were in the playoffs. Here's what I found (highlighted cells indicated the best statistical year in each category):

Needless to say I'm pretty sure the general consensus was right on the money saying that this year's playoff defense had the best run of any D1 championship defense. Some of the numbers like total yards allowed and TOP blow away any other year. This really underscored for me just how incredible of a turnaround this group underwent during the course of the season. With what they've got coming back (coaching staff included) I'm incredibly excited to see what the Bison defense will do in 2016.

Default Re: How Good was the 2015 Playoff Defense (in comparison to previous years)?

I like the way oppenent's top is trending.

99Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: How Good was the 2015 Playoff Defense (in comparison to previous years)?

Top would be significantly impacted by our offensive strategy and execution.

An interesting stat not listed would be number of possessions the opposition had on offense.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Good chart and amazing performance by the defense; especially since it was basically out of the blue. One thing that is probably difficult to compare but interesting to consider is the strength of opponents. For example I think the 2012 GA Southern team may well have been the best team faced of the entire run. Redbirds were good, Wofford was good, 2011 SHSU was good (better defense than their other squads I think), and contrary to popular opinion I think Towson was a good team...tough game until basically right before half. This year UNI and their experienced defense

Kinda crazy 2014 fairs so poorly comparing stats considering how much experience that years team had on defense. Stats seems to confirm those veternan players were feeling the effects of playing all those games over their careers.

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 99Bison View Post
    Top would be significantly impacted by our offensive strategy and execution.

An interesting stat not listed would be number of possessions the opposition had on offense.
    Also, "significantly impacted by our offensive strategy and execution."

edit: nice table OP

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Kinda crazy 2014 fairs so poorly comparing stats considering how much experience that years team had on defense. Stats seems to confirm those veternan players were feeling the effects of playing all those games over their careers.
    May well also indicate how significant Travis Beck was to that defense.
    "The desire to win is useless without the desire to prepare."

"I've coached in a lot of great venues during my career, but there is no place louder than the Fargodome. There is no verbal communication whatsoever when you are down on that field. It's unbelievable. It's the best atmosphere in college football - at any level." - Jeff Monken

Quote Originally Posted by FFBison View Post
    First thing that came to my mind. Losing him last year hurt.

NDSUSR is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Yeah but what about our band?

Quote Originally Posted by FFBison View Post
    And how much MJ and Pierre improved this year. Amazing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt