Page 43 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: Fargodome officials consider adding seats/BEER for Bison games

Default Re: Fargodome officials consider adding seats/BEER for Bison games

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTru View Post
    I've bar-tended at least part-time for the last 8 years. I've cleaned up a fair share of puke, so I can understand your frustration there.

I've also spent a lot of time observing people while they drink. Even your biggest "drunks" are remarkably good at pacing themselves. Nobody wants to drink so much they're sick and most people also don't want to drink so much they become obnoxious. What really screws people up, is when they know they have to quit drinking. This is where pace goes out the window. People chug that extra beer, take a couple pulls off a bottle, ect. Most tailgaters maybe have an extra beer, but stop at that. But a few people will take a couple pulls off a bottle, chug a beer, and they don't feel it yet. So they do another round, maybe even another. It all hits them when they get in and all of sudden they're hammered.

I would say more likely than not, that fan that got sick and ruined the game for your family, would have entered that game much soberer had beer been sold inside. You may have to stand up for the occasional fan to grab a beer, but I'd take that vs. what your wife had to go through.
    Great points. If beer was sold during the game, the possibility someone would binge drink the few minutes before entering the dome would diminish. When that diminishes, the possibility of someone puking in the first 15 minutes of the game in real time also decreases.

People are going to drink before the game. Some people find a way to drink during the game. A very large percentage drink responsibly. The very article outlines a possibility those who don't drink responsibly would be mitigated towards being more responsible by eliminating the power drinking 20 minutes before kickoff. I don't think that number is very large, but obviously it is there.

My feeling towards some of the anti-beer fargodome crowd: There is no way to prove drinking has to be included in a sporting event to make it a better experience for anyone. But eliminating alcohol from the sporting event didn't eliminate any problems. I have no problem with maintaining status quo, but I do have a problem with failing to argue a position while ignoring evidence to the contrary. The article was a good example of contrary evidence. NIU, for example, had experiences decrease in issues resulting in the likelihood fans have eliminated their need to power drink before entering the stadium. That is pretty powerful stuff. I do think there needs to be further information like if there is an increase in other behavior like DUIs after the game. That wasn't addressed. So far, serving beer during the game has been successful for them and goes against the arguments made by the anti-alcohol crowd at the Fargodome. There is also the added income potential.

Lastly, everyone could discuss this until they are blue in the face but there will never be any hard evidence with the Bison crowd until the Fargodome taps are turned on. I do think a solution to this is to announce a trial. Open 2016 with beer offered and if there is a spike with in-game issues, shut it down. Counting my time living in the cities where we were season ticket holders for the Twins, Vikings, and attending other events where beer is sold, I am up to over 500 games. I have had one beer spilled on me and 3 cokes. I have only seen a couple of people puke and they were in the opening minutes of an event, so event alcohol was not the issue. I have seen a total of 3 fights and one was in the Fargodome concourse following a game. I have seen more stupid shit at a wedding reception than sporting events. Run a trial and see how it goes. I have a feeling the experience won't change for most, the first quarter issues will decrease like at NIU, and people attending the game will continue to insure they have a safe ride home. On top of all this, there will be another income source opened up. It is still an event mostly attended to by adults. If there is less than adult-like behavior, shut it back down. The simplicity in finding out if there would be a problem is quite phenomenal.

Maybe the Twins and Vikings should ban coke?

I just think this whole argument is silly. If you don't like drinking, don't drink. Yes, someone around you could be annoying. All kinds of people around me everyday are annoying for reasons that have nothing to do with drinking. However, this doesn't mean I think I should have the right to control what they do just because I disagree with them. To me that would be very arrogant.

In general people need more freedom and to be head responsible for their decisions to a greater regard.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Ok braves I was checking bro u didn't mention it. Carry on my wayward son, they'll be peace when u are done
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

I agree that Fargodome sales would eliminate the last 20 min chugging, etc. Which to me is irresponsible. You've been drinking for 4-5 hours, maybe an hour I'd you show up late. Just seems stupid that you would feel the need to chug a couple drinks.

Any way my "argument" centers off the fact that drinking in the dome is going to prolong peoples BAC being above .00 then go on to drive home is my biggest argument against it.

I am not in the camp of since I don't like it you can't drink, I'm more interested in getting people sober before they get behind the wheel.

I'd rather see tailgating extended on the front end personally. Since I want you all to have the ability to have a good time, even if I think it is unnecessary to need alcohol to have a good time.
    Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    I agree that Fargodome sales would eliminate the last 20 min chugging, etc. Which to me is irresponsible. You've been drinking for 4-5 hours, maybe an hour I'd you show up late. Just seems stupid that you would feel the need to chug a couple drinks.

Any way my "argument" centers off the fact that drinking in the dome is going to prolong peoples BAC being above .00 then go on to drive home is my biggest argument against it.

I am not in the camp of since I don't like it you can't drink, I'm more interested in getting people sober before they get behind the wheel.

I'd rather see tailgating extended on the front end personally. Since I want you all to have the ability to have a good time, even if I think it is unnecessary to need alcohol to have a good time.
    Braves, I'm not trying to argue with you. You seem like a good guy who has a genuine concern for drunk driving. I can't disagree with that.

That said, there are a 100 reasons/opportunities for people to drive drunk. Most have nothing to do with a football game. Some people make good choices and some don't. I just don't think we should hold everyone responsible for the bad choices of a few.

I'm not trying to change your mind, because I think you're coming from a good place. I'm just pointing out another perspective.

Go Bison!

BYZEN is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post

You might be surprised at how many people are actually tailgating, having a good time and not drinking. Just saying.
    SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier on NDSU intro video: "This is not meant to be North Dakota State's home game."

Quote Originally Posted by BYZEN View Post
    You might be surprised at how many people are actually tailgating, having a good time and not drinking. Just saying.
    That's true. There are a few regular posters on this board that don't drink at all and a few more that I can think of that just have 1-2 beers.

Tailgating does not necessarily equal drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    Braves, I'm not trying to argue with you. You seem like a good guy who has a genuine concern for drunk driving. I can't disagree with that.

That said, there are a 100 reasons/opportunities for people to drive drunk. Most have nothing to do with a football game. Some people make good choices and some don't. I just don't think we should hold everyone responsible for the bad choices of a few.

I'm not trying to change your mind, because I think you're coming from a good place. I'm just pointing out another perspective.

Go Bison!
    I'd quit going out in public! That's what I'd do. !! Think purple/pink/green IDK!! Shit does happen!! Have you been to the effin mall lately?! Cover the eyes of women, children and 1998Braves!!

Sent from my iPhone.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Go Bison!

Appreciated and yes I do realize that are many other opportunities and feel it is unfortunate that there are many reasons people find to drink and then end up driving. I'm not only concerned about it in this area only, just concentrating on the focus of this particular group in these posts.

That's true. There are a few regular posters on this board that don't drink at all and a few more that I can think of that just have 1-2 beers.

Tailgating does not necessarily equal drinking.

Agreed see many like this when I'm wandering myself too.