Page 21 of 135 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Fargodome officials consider adding seats/BEER for Bison games

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Fargodome officials consider adding seats for Bison games

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    The decision on whether to sell beer at Football games is 100% NDSU's call.
    Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Yes at Redhawk games. No at Bison games.
    Thanks, that is what I had assumed but wasn't 100% positive.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Isn't the rule between NDSU and the Fargodome Authority? NDSU and the Fargodome Authority seem to be the ones saying that it is bad, not the system, since it is actually written into the contract between the two that no alcohol sales are allowed. I'm not sure what other schools in the system have to do with this situation? Unless I'm missing something, I don't think the State or SBoHE have ever made a rule that NDSU can't sell alcohol, its been a choice they have made.

Can alcohol be purchased at Newman during baseball games?
    You are right. There is no rule... there's the SBHE policy (918) and perhaps something in the Century Code.

I'm not blaming UND... I'm just saying that all those people who had kittens over NDSU's new tailgating rules and are currently having kittens over the possibility of beer at Bison games are baffling. They're worried more about the possibility of beer at Bison games than the actuality of it in other places. To me, that's a double standard... just one of the many that NDSU has to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    You are right. There is no rule... there's the SBHE policy (918) and perhaps something in the Century Code.

I'm not blaming UND... I'm just saying that all those people who had kittens over NDSU's new tailgating rules and are currently having kittens over the possibility of beer at Bison games are baffling. They're worried more about the possibility of beer at Bison games than the actuality of it in other places. To me, that's a double standard... just one of the many that NDSU has to deal with.
    Policy 918 now includes the following: "The possession, sale, service, use, or consumption of alcoholic beverages upon land or in buildings at institutions under control of the Board is prohibited, except as authorized by the institution's president." (this was recently changed). It seems that if NDSU wants to have beer, all Bresciani needs to do is sign off on it. The people who seem to be having issues with alcohol being served at NDSU games reside in Fargo, not Bismarck or elsewhere. To claim its because of some double standard within the NDUS and that there is one rule for NDSU and a different rule for the rest of the system regarding alcohol being served seems misguided at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    Braves......but then don't you also have to be against drinking at any other event? As you state, no one can guarantee that something bad wouldn't happen after drinking at a Bison game. Can you guarantee that something bad wouldn't happen after drinking at the Turf? Or buying off-sale at Happy Harry's? If not, then by your logic, should we not allow those activities either?

There is nothing wrong with you having a preference or an opinion, I just don't think your logic is consistent on this one.

To be clear, I don't want anyone injured or killed because of drunk driving either.

This is one of the reasons that I'm such a huge fan of Uber. In addition to the convenience and capacity availability as a customer as well as money making opportunities for the drivers, the public safety angle is huge. I'd love to see some data regarding drunk driving arrests and/or accidents pre and post Uber by city. Hopefully it will make a difference.

I am against drinking at other events too, especially when said event everyone hops in their car and drives off. So this would include bars / on sale type locations that patrons generally drive to. Off sale obviously the idea is that you buy and take home but again someone can crack one open right in the car. I agree with Tony's counter argument that by the time you eliminate all possibilities you're back to prohibition. Which will never happen and is unreasonable to me even.

Basically I look at it as it stands now is a good balance. do I personally wish it was different? yes a bit but I can compromise because 3 hours should sober quite a few people up. I just don't agree with adding another layer because that has to increase the odds of something happening (may or may not be significant?? Not a statistician) likely? I just don't want something to cloud any day of NDSU football other than the game on the field being a disaster. That said any incident that does occur and someone ties it to NDSU and there are those that will any way they can you might have to kiss what you have now goodbye, probably not a complete ban but much more restrictive.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    I am against drinking at other events too, especially when said event everyone hops in their car and drives off. So this would include bars / on sale type locations that patrons generally drive to. Off sale obviously the idea is that you buy and take home but again someone can crack one open right in the car. I agree with Tony's counter argument that by the time you eliminate all possibilities you're back to prohibition. Which will never happen and is unreasonable to me even.

Basically I look at it as it stands now is a good balance. do I personally wish it was different? yes a bit but I can compromise because 3 hours should sober quite a few people up. I just don't agree with adding another layer because that has to increase the odds of something happening (may or may not be significant?? Not a statistician) likely? I just don't want something to cloud any day of NDSU football other than the game on the field being a disaster. That said any incident that does occur and someone ties it to NDSU and there are those that will any way they can you might have to kiss what you have now goodbye, probably not a complete ban but much more restrictive.
    If you're against it at other events too, that's fine, at least that's consistent. I guess I missed the thread you started advocating closing of all bars because someone might drive drunk. I guess I just think it's odd that you pick out this one example of drinking and potentially driving when we know there are countless others that are happening everyday.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Policy 918 now includes the following: "The possession, sale, service, use, or consumption of alcoholic beverages upon land or in buildings at institutions under control of the Board is prohibited, except as authorized by the institution's president." (this was recently changed). It seems that if NDSU wants to have beer, all Bresciani needs to do is sign off on it. The people who seem to be having issues with alcohol being served at NDSU games reside in Fargo, not Bismarck or elsewhere. To claim its because of some double standard within the NDUS and that there is one rule for NDSU and a different rule for the rest of the system regarding alcohol being served seems misguided at best.
    Like you said, the policy was amended... mostly to deal with reality - UND was allowing beer at tailgating (at least for UND fans) long before it was "legal."

But we should be able to find some common ground here. Don't you find the people who object to beer sales at Bison games, regardless if live in Fargo or are the functionally illiterate editor of the Minot Daily News, baffling?

You don't see a double standard in their worldview?

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Like you said, the policy was amended... mostly to deal with reality - UND was allowing beer at tailgating (at least for UND fans) long before it was "legal."

But we should be able to find some common ground here. Don't you find the people who object to beer sales at Bison games, regardless if live in Fargo or are the functionally illiterate editor of the Minot Daily News, baffling?

You don't see a double standard in their worldview?
    The REA went out and got a waiver, there was nothing from stopping the Fargodome from doing the same and even before the update, I still think that the University President could have signed off on it, though it would have required a few more steps. In terms of tailgating, since UND doesn't own the Alerus or land it sits on, I don't think the SBoHE policy applied like it did to the REA or FD. And its not like UND and NDSU didn't just turn a blind eye to tailgating for years (when UND played at Memorial Stadium).

My opinion is that it should be up to the individual institutions as long as they have the proper measures and security in place and I don't agree with the people who oppose it regardless of what instituion. If NDSU wants to serve beer at their games, I support that decision. But at this point, it is NDSU's decision, they are not bound by any "rules" preventing them from doing so, which was what I was looking for clarification on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    If you're against it at other events too, that's fine, at least that's consistent. I guess I missed the thread you started advocating closing of all bars because someone might drive drunk. I guess I just think it's odd that you pick out this one example of drinking and potentially driving when we know there are countless others that are happening everyday.
    I agree, I'm sure there are many that I don't even know/think about. Just when I do see/think of it, it bugs me in my brain a lot. This is probably about as far as I'd go about saying anything about it, oddly I don't have a burning desire to make wholesale changes and get involved in a group that may have that type of vision because to me it is more of a change of mindset/culture in people not banning it outright and that is tough to "regulate".

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Yes at Redhawk games. No at Bison games.
    2 defining issues with this, 1 the redhawks don't start until after the Bison are done, with the exception of possibly 1 series prior to the summit tourney, and 2 there just isn't the volume of attendance to justify it. Is there more than one concession stand open?

Heck, I'm just angling for beer sales at Bison basketball games once the new arena opens because if I had to choose one venue to open up for beer sales, it would be the new BSA.

First, most people can get enough beer at tailgating already. Beer sales at the FargoDome would be mostly for people who go to the game without tailgating first (not that there's anything wrong with that.) Tailgating isn't much of an option for basketball.

Second, if NDSU sold beer at basketball games, then the FargoDome wouldn't be taking a huge house cut. Beer sales at football benefit the FargoDome a lot more than NDSU... until a new contract is drawn up.