Page 70 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 848

Thread: Fargodome officials consider adding seats/BEER for Bison games

  1. #691
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    FCS Title Town
    Posts
    7,658

    Default Re: Fargodome officials consider adding seats/BEER for Bison games

    Quote Originally Posted by Greta Van Herd View Post
    If that is true, it would make it hard to reconcile that thought process with allowing alcohol-approved tailgating areas to continue, and, in fact, even expand as it did this year for softball and is expanding next year (this coming year) for football.
    As far as tailgating itself goes the genie is out of the bottle and was going on about six years before he arrived. In terms of the rest, you raise a good point and I do not know. What money is being made is for renting a spot and not the sale of alcohol even though more than likely alcohol will be consumed. As I said, I am only speculating why he is against alcohol being served at athletic events. If I had to bet the farm I would still lay money on his background and overall view of things as the hang-up.

    "PRO-FBS REALITY."
    TO BE FAIR I HATE THE EXPRESSION "TO BE FAIR."

    "NDSU: CHEATING AT FOOTBALL SINCE 1965."

  2. #692
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fifty Lakes, MN
    Posts
    28,088

    Default Re: Fargodome officials consider adding seats/BEER for Bison games

    Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    What distributor would provide service to the stadium if they started selling beer? Often there are hidden issues related to who would get the contract and how much they would make off of it. I continue to be amazed at how poor the service is at most concession stands. How hard is it for somebody to act like there is money to be made. Seems like it would be good for a distributor to make a public statement about their interest to get the ball rolling and put some pressure on the administration.
    The concession stands at the FD are run by volunteer organizations to make money. So by the time these kids get the hang of it the season is over. At other places its not like the job is a career path. Its all part time. Best place Ive ever seen was the KC Royals. The people who worked the concession stands were a lot of fun and effecient.

    Lambeau is pretty good also.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

    When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

    It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

  3. #693
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fifty Lakes, MN
    Posts
    28,088

    Default Re: Fargodome officials consider adding seats/BEER for Bison games

    Quote Originally Posted by Greta Van Herd View Post
    If that is true, it would make it hard to reconcile that thought process with allowing alcohol-approved tailgating areas to continue, and, in fact, even expand as it did this year for softball and is expanding next year (this coming year) for football.
    The expansion involved TM members. Not students.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

    When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

    It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

  4. #694
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    9,784

    Default Re: Fargodome officials consider adding seats/BEER for Bison games

    Quote Originally Posted by Greta Van Herd View Post
    So if yours is NOT a guesstimate, then it must be fact. NDSU will make $250k per year on alcohol sales at the Fargodome. Sounds good to me.

    Also, please show me in Pat’s post where Taylor said it wouldn’t be profitable. He did say it wouldn’t be worth the benefits, and I can respect that, but surely even you know the difference between those two concepts.
    I made an estimation based on facts. Guessing or guesswork wasn’t involved.

    NDSU making $250,000/year? I’m pretty sure I used the word “generate” because the article that used tOSU’s data emphasized that word. The article didn’t say if the amount brought in was before after costs.

    In regards to Taylor’s statement, if something isn’t worth it, then that pretty much means the revenue is less than the cost and consequences. Gene is a pretty smart guy and did a great job of putting NDSU on the right path. I wouldn’t question his decision making.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

  5. #695
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10,555
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Fargodome officials consider adding seats/BEER for Bison games

    Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    What distributor would provide service to the stadium if they started selling beer? Often there are hidden issues related to who would get the contract and how much they would make off of it. I continue to be amazed at how poor the service is at most concession stands. How hard is it for somebody to act like there is money to be made. Seems like it would be good for a distributor to make a public statement about their interest to get the ball rolling and put some pressure on the administration.
    Bergseth Bros are huge NDSU fans. Lets go
    I WANT TO THANK TONY < JAIL & EL CHAPO DONT MIX > FBS or BUST enough with this small timey stuff, "Bring on the Competition" is our motto right?

  6. #696
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    24,516
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default Re: Fargodome officials consider adding seats/BEER for Bison games

    Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    I thought about posting this under unpopular opinions, but I'll just post it here instead. I by no means know why the President has taken the stance that he has. but I'll speculate anyway. Some may not know that he came from Texas A&M where he was the Vice President for Student Affairs. Those with that background have a different way of looking at the world. Specifically, alcohol on University campuses is viewed as a huge problem. This is from a Forbes article in December of last year.

    "More than a third of college students report they engaged in binge drinking in the prior month;
    About 20% of college students meet the diagnostic criteria for alcohol use disorder;
    A quarter of college students report adverse academic consequences as a result of drinking;
    Alcohol is a factor in almost 700,000 sexual assaults involving students each year;
    More than 1800 college students die annually from alcohol-related injuries."

    This is what the author concludes:

    "No one would suggest that selling beer throughout college stadiums on Saturday afternoons is the main culprit behind campus drinking problems. But college leaders who adopt such a policy need to recognize that they are sending an unhelpful, mixed message to students."

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#2bb2b8a16259

    Stats on binge drinking is a meaningless discussion unless you're a prohibitionist.

    Why do people here choose to binge drink is the better question.

    15X FOOTBALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! Since 1960, NDSU has more Football Championships than any team in the NFL , D1A, D1AA, D2 or D3
    1965-1968-1969-1983-1985-1986-1988-1990-2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2017-2018

  7. #697
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    311

    Default Re: Fargodome officials consider adding seats/BEER for Bison games

    Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    The expansion involved TM members. Not students.
    Yes, of course. But I do think it is significant that NDSU approved alcohol tailgating in what is clearly an NDSU Lot (NQ) for general admission tailgating (as opposed to what are technically city Fargodome lots on NDSU land).

    That lot (NQ) is not a TM lot and it would never have been approved without DB’s blessing.

    NDSU students certainly can be general admission tailgaters in Lot NQ and partake in alcoholic beverages in Lot NQ if they are of age (wink) with the blessing of the school. DB himself had to give the ultimate approval for that.

  8. #698
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fifty Lakes, MN
    Posts
    28,088

    Default Re: Fargodome officials consider adding seats/BEER for Bison games

    Quote Originally Posted by Greta Van Herd View Post
    Yes, of course. But I do think it is significant that NDSU approved alcohol tailgating in what is clearly an NDSU Lot (NQ) for general admission tailgating (as opposed to what are technically city Fargodome lots on NDSU land).

    That lot (NQ) is not a TM lot and it would never have been approved without DB’s blessing.

    NDSU students certainly can be general admission tailgaters in Lot NQ and partake in alcoholic beverages in Lot NQ if they are of age (wink) with the blessing of the school. DB himself had to give the ultimate approval for that.
    Over the last few years general admission tailgate spots have been reduced and TM reserved has been added in west lots by taking the GM spots...
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

    When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

    It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

  9. #699
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10,217
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Fargodome officials consider adding seats/BEER for Bison games

    Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Over the last few years general admission tailgate spots have been reduced and TM reserved has been added in west lots by taking the GM spots...
    He's right though that GA tailgating has been extended into non Fargodome lots. That's an indication DB isn't totally against the expansion of alcohol consumption at football games.

  10. #700
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    24,516
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default Re: Fargodome officials consider adding seats/BEER for Bison games

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I made an estimation based on facts. Guessing or guesswork wasn’t involved.

    NDSU making $250,000/year? I’m pretty sure I used the word “generate” because the article that used tOSU’s data emphasized that word. The article didn’t say if the amount brought in was before after costs.

    In regards to Taylor’s statement, if something isn’t worth it, then that pretty much means the revenue is less than the cost and consequences. Gene is a pretty smart guy and did a great job of putting NDSU on the right path. I wouldn’t question his decision making.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Maybe back then, the NDSU cut was too small. As far as I know, NDSU currently gets 0% of vendor sales. So maybe beer they offered some low ball number.

    I can say with confidence, most venues pay promoters roughly 30% of the gross alcohol sales and they provide the liquor license, infastructure, employees, etc.

    Anything less than 30% is significantly below what anyone who rents a facility would get.

    So assume its 30% of the gross revenue

    2000 beers × $8 = 16,000 per game x 30% = $4800 per game

    x 6 home games = $28,800
    × 8 home games = $38,400
    × 10 home games = $48,000

    Of course thars assuming we end up at a uber conservative low 2k beers... up that 4,000 or 6,000 or the Lakes 10,000 beers per game, that is pretty significant

    So either the dome is offering NDSU below market payouts or an extra 50-150 grand is chump change to NDSU Athletics

    Since our program is healthy and generates some good money, I could see why GT didnt jump on it. Especially if they offered some lame 5-10% payout which gives NDSU zero reason to do it.

    Probably something to keep in our back pocket for some down revenue times

    15X FOOTBALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! Since 1960, NDSU has more Football Championships than any team in the NFL , D1A, D1AA, D2 or D3
    1965-1968-1969-1983-1985-1986-1988-1990-2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2017-2018

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •