Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263

Thread: GDT: NDSU vs. South Dakota

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: GDT: NDSU vs. South Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBison View Post
    Indeed, having Morlock and Frazier in the rotation is part of what allows JC to be so very effective. Morlock and Frazier will continue to develop, and it'll be fun to watch it happen.
    An interesting stat: In conference play, after 4 games, JC is averaging 4.6 ypc, down from the 6.3 ypc he averaged in conference play last year. Team rushing ypc is also down from last year in conference games. With the way our defense is playing I don't know if this is a big concern. Our O-line IMO is improving but is still not at the same level we were last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    After watching all the 2014 games this season so far, there’s no doubt in my mind Morlock and Frazier don’t even come close to Crockett. Crockett’s inside running has been exceptional, especially when there has been no big holes for him in most of the games. Most of his yardage this season has been earned between the tackles because of his exceptional feet & body movement. Teams have focused on him and he’s still able to get positive yards. Frazier has been great addition for us, but his talent and ability aren’t even close to Crockett. Crocket is a legitimate next level candidate, whether it’s the NFL or CFL. Frazier takes a while to get going, but when he does, his speed is okay. He’s a little too slow for outside running from the backfield. (That's probably why he was a 5th or 6th string back at Nebraska) He's strong physical and a patient runner. I’m a little surprised on his foot work between the tackles. He has some excellent reads with some great cuts between the tackles. Most of his big runs came off big gaping holes because of the play calling and the balance with the pass and run rotation.
    As for inside running, Frazier is clearly better than Morlock, but Morlock is faster. The problem with Morlock is that he only has one speed, fast & hard, which causes him to forget about ball security. If Frazier & Morlock was the featured backs, defenses will have no problem game planning for them by maintaining gap selection (similar to Zenner). If you take away Morlock’s big TD’s runs he got in close out duty, he’s actually been subpar between the tackles.
    Good scouts don’t care what a player did when the score 30 – 0 and it was in the third or fourth quarter and you broke a big run or big catch. They dissect film quarter by quarter and play by play. No one grades third & fourth quarter mop up stats against teams that are being blown away. Look at each play and stats during tough games for quarter 1 & 2, and you will clearly see who the best running back is. I like the passes Morlock has caught out of the backfield. But Frazier is clearly the #2. I think Polasek has done well in putting kids in positons to do well in our offense… He's using two backs to replace Ojuri. I think Polasek & Klieman are giving more kids an opportunity to play and building depth. We have been using 10-12 receivers (including tight ends) per game, and that’s not even including Bonnet. Polasek has done a great job of managing Crockett’s carries, which I like. Would our offense be successful in having only one featured back in Crockett? I say yes. Will our offense continue to be successful just using Crocket & Frazier? I say yes. One thing is for sure, only having a downhill runner in the backfield won't get us to the FCS Championship.

NDSU Sam Ojuri & Crockett
    Towson – Terrence West
    Sam Houston –Flanders
    Eastern Illinois – Shepard Little
    Northern Iowa- Johnson
    I will say this: In my very amateur opinion, John Crockett is the second most talented running back that I have seen at NDSU behind Lamar Gordon. I shudder to think what his numbers would have been if he would have been a "feature" back behind last year's offensive line. He might rush for 1300 yards behind this year's very young line.
    Now this is the law of the prairie
    As old and as true as the sky
    And the Bison that keep it will prosper
    And the Bison that break it will die
    As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk
    This law is the final word:
    For the strength of the Herd is the Bison
    And the strength of the Bison is the Herd.

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    An interesting stat: In conference play, after 4 games, JC is averaging 4.6 ypc, down from the 6.3 ypc he averaged in conference play last year. Team rushing ypc is also down from last year in conference games. With the way our defense is playing I don't know if this is a big concern. Our O-line IMO is improving but is still not at the same level we were last season.
    Our passing has improved however. I can't remember that stats off hand, but yards per pass is the same, but yards per catch is more this year. Also, we average 20 more yards per game passing vs. last year. Also, Wentz just isn't quite the rusher Brock was. On the flip side, Brock wasn't the passer Wentz is. Some key things though is points per game, total offensive yards, yards per play and time of possession thus far are almost exactly the same. I'm not quite sure what more people expect out of this squad considering all that has changed from last year to this year.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    Tough to compare to last year. Last years team was the best ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    Our passing has improved however. I can't remember that stats off hand, but yards per pass is the same, but yards per catch is more this year. Also, we average 20 more yards per game passing vs. last year. Also, Wentz just isn't quite the rusher Brock was. On the flip side, Brock wasn't the passer Wentz is. Some key things though is points per game, total offensive yards, yards per play and time of possession thus far are almost exactly the same. I'm not quite sure what more people expect out of this squad considering all that has changed from last year to this year.

What amazes me is Wentz looks like a big gangly klutz when he takes off running, don't mean he is ineffective but his appearance of running is very deceiving to his athletic ability. Brock was a lot "smoother" runner, but also had a knack for finding a seam to get an extra yard or two or 66 a la Georgia Southern.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    In some ways I think that some of us have slipped into what I call the "Oklahoma Syndrome" where fans of the 50's not only expected the team to win, but to win big and perfectly.
    Last edited by Vet70; 10-28-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    "Easily" lose a game?! We will be favored by 14 points in each and every game. South Dakota State will have a losing record after next week in MVC.. It is highly unlikely we lose a game the rest of the year. Only NDSU can beat NDSU. We are beating the piss out of teams and we are playing @ 80% on offense. IF we play at 95% of our talent at playoffs, we will have 3 consecutive blowouts at home and another route at Frisco. Sorry, but we are that good and so much better than every one else.
    So, you trashed me for saying NDSU could easily lose a game. Still think we are that much better than everyone else after the Bison got piss pounded in all phases of the game? And yes, the defense had a subpar game, horse shit tackling.