Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Ferge up for the College Football of Fame

Default Jim Ferge up for the College Football of Fame

Jim Ferge was a LB/Tackle from Schofield, WI. He was the first two-time, first-team All-American at NDSU. Also named MVP of the NCC and most valuable lineman on the national championship team.

Default Re: Jim Ferge up for the College Football of Fame

LB/Tackle? That's an odd combo. Tell us more.
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    LB/Tackle? That's an odd combo. Tell us more.
    Unfortunately, I know very little about this era of Bison football beyond what is in Ed Kolpack's book.

Based on Ed's book: Ferge weighed 235 and NDSU played him at tackle and linebacker - they positioned him to go directly at the offense's strength.

235 was light even back then for a DL, but NDSU had a tradition of strong, quick, and light interior DL that continued well into the '80s. I remember in that 1986 National Championship - NDSU has a guy around 215 lbs (Nielson) who consistently made the 300 lb All-American in front of him look like foolish.

Hope he makes it. NDSU's recent notoriety might help his bid.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Unfortunately, I know very little about this era of Bison football beyond what is in Ed Kolpack's book.

Based on Ed's book: Ferge weighed 235 and NDSU played him at tackle and linebacker - they positioned him to go directly at the offense's strength.

235 was light even back then for a DL, but NDSU had a tradition of strong, quick, and light interior DL that continued well into the '80s. I remember in that 1986 National Championship - NDSU has a guy around 215 lbs (Nielson) who consistently made the 300 lb All-American in front of him look like foolish.

Hope he makes it. NDSU's recent notoriety might help his bid.
    What has NDSU done lately that is bad? Some better words would be celebrity or accolades.

At any rate, this story really doesn't matter because Ferge wasn't good enough to make Lakes' best player ever list.

DORMIE is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

You all hear the talk that a guy is a beast. Jim Ferge was a fricking BEAST. STUD!!!

What years did he play? Would be fun to watch video from the 60's.
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN View Post
    What has NDSU done lately that is bad? Some better words would be celebrity or accolades.

At any rate, this story really doesn't matter because Ferge wasn't good enough to make Lakes' best player ever list.
    Oops. "Notoriety" is not the word I should have used. Sorry. You'd think I'd have the hang of the language by now.

Tough to find much info on players from that era. Way before my time. 2 time all american. Played for the Baltimore Colts. Can't find much more

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Jim Ferge is on the ballot again this year... too bad there's not a script for that.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Jim Ferge is on the ballot again this year... too bad there's not a script for that.
    Lets hope 2 times is a charm

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com